New Suhr has "dead" notes :(

Manny's right, high fret most likely, and or insufficient relief. Easy fix for experienced tech.
Please read the details again. The note is dead regardless of the fret location. I have tuned the G string anywhere from F to A and the F# note is always the dead one... So it isn't fret/relief issue.

Hi Unix guy,
Are you able to play the same note on a different string? If so, that would confirm it’s actually a resonance (virtually unsolvable) issue as opposed to something else.
Thanks
Pauly

Please read the details again. The note is dead regardless of the fret location. I have tuned the G string anywhere from F to A and the F# note is always the dead one... So it isn't fret/relief issue.

Hi Unix guy,
Are you able to play the same note on a different string? If so, that would confirm it’s actually a resonance (virtually unsolvable) issue as opposed to something else.
Thanks
Pauly
That also has been discussed in this thread.

Hi Unix guy,
Thanks
Pauly
As Rick says, it has already been discussed in the thread.

I would also think a "pure" resonance issue wouldn't matter where on the neck the exact same pitch is played, but that is the case. My suspicion is that it is due to being closer to the midpoint of the scale length, but that's a guess.

I may also try to tune the B string down to A and see if it different.

Again, there are numerous reports of this on the interwebs... And John Suhr has commented on it.

I finally heard back from Suhr again today.

They have escalated to a manager for consultation, but suggested trying:

1. The neck "settling" trick suggested by @Capt Nasty
  2. Minor truss rod tweak (either lower or tighter)
  3. Lowering pickups
  4. Checking for loose parts

@unix-guy are you a member over at TGP? John Suhr frequents TGP. You could PM him over on TGP. Or post a thread and mention him... he is like Beetle Juice, but it only takes one mention and he is there. I have had many interactions with John over there. He is a good guy and a straight shooter.

@unix-guy are you a member over at TGP? John Suhr frequents TGP. You could PM him over on TGP. Or post a thread and mention him... he is like Beetle Juice, but it only takes one mention and he is there. I have had many interactions with John over there. He is a good guy and a straight shooter.
I think I may have an account there from years ago. I'll have to see...

Hi,

Easy way to figure if the issue is a deadspot is to gently push the headstock directly against a wall. This will change the resonance frequence of the neck, and the note will magically ring out, if it's a deadspot caused by resonance frequence.

I had a very disappointing PRS Custom 24 which had a total deadspot on G string octave, like zero sustain. On H-string the same note would transfer to a harmonic. Nothing could be done to that. Fat finger claims that their product could change the neck resonance, but it didn't work. Sold the guitar, buyer never complained, but I felt kind of bad. There are rumors that the neckheel of Custom 24 was changed to bigger version because of deadspot problems, but mine was a newer one with bigger heel.

I think every guitar has some weaker and sweeter sounding notes, but when it's really bad it becomes a deadspot. Usually the problem area is around G string octave, and most appearent on high gain.

My Suhr Modern has a weaker note on G# octave, but nowhere as bad as the Custom 24's G.

So what? Does that stop said business from creating an RMA for a good customer like Unix ?
How do they do that if they are closed???? Why would he want to send it some where when there is no one to accept the delivery??? Even if there was someone there to accept the delivery, it could sit there for weeks or maybe months before they get back up & running to actually fix it or replace it.

Something quick to try as a diagnostic: damp the strings behind the nut with something soft and see if it changes.

Try also damping the strings between nut and fretting hand.

How do they do that if they are closed???? Why would he want to send it some where when there is no one to accept the delivery??? Even if there was someone there to accept the delivery, it could sit there for weeks or maybe months before they get back up & running to actually fix it or replace it.
Closed for business doesnt mean they are shut down. And I cant speak for the business or the employees or what they are doing, nor do I care, and honestly, why do you care man? Like I’m asking unix if they may have gotten to the right point, so.....(?) [why??] lol

Closed for business doesnt mean they are shut down. And I cant speak for the business or the employees or what they are doing, nor do I care, and honestly, why do you care man? Like I’m asking unix if they may have gotten to the right point, so.....(?) [why??] lol
Yes, it does! So, why do YOU seem to care so much??? The bottom line is Suhr is a great company that takes care of their customers. I bought a used Suhr in 2006. In 2017, the clear coat started lifting up in small areas. I contacted Suhr & they said back when it was built they had a bad batch fo grain filler & they refinished the guitar for free. They will take care of unix guy. It's just now is not the time. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

You are constantly snooping for no reason, just as I suspected

Again, I asked my buddy, the OP, unix, a question, that you’ve gone so far out of your way to insert yourself into, just to be bother....

Are you really that bored? Why don’t you take a break instead of lookin for nonsense to stir up

like ..... really.......

Back
Top Bottom