• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

New Studio Monitors = Mind Blown + Tonal Nirvana

Sambora73

I've had my Axe FX III since last summer and have been very happy with it, VERY happy. I was running it through a Line 6 Powercab at first, but then went back to my JBL LSR-305 monitors. Although I was happy with the tones, I always felt I should upgrade them as (with respect) they're entry level monitors at £200 for the pair, and this bad boy is £2500. It deserves better, right?
But then I thought, they can't make that much of a difference right? Sure, they'll be better, but not crazy better. I'd been using a cheap 2x12 (V30's) with my Marshall heads and it sounded great. Not a huge difference between my Marshall 4x12.

I know I know, I can hear everyone yelling "YES GOOD MONITORS MAKES A DIFFERENCE!!!!"

Anyway, long story short, I picked some Adam A7x's and they came today. Right away, the difference is incredible. It's like getting an Axe FX 4 or something!! It's hard to describe, but everything is just WAY more clear and defined. Seriously on a different level. With the JBL's a lot of the factory presets or Austin Buddy's didn't sound great. Some were amazing, but not all of them. Now EVERYTHING sounds great, just so easy to get a good tone. I haven't stopped smiling, or playing, all day! Bear in mind, this is in a small, untreated room as well.
The IR rabbit hole is something I've avoided like the plaugue, but found so many sounded plain bad. I only ever used a handful to get good tones. With the A7x's so many more are sounding fantastic, in fact nearly all of the ones I've tried are very useable for me now.
The Adams really are better in every way, but especially on any sounds that have anything more than crunch levels of gain. Chugging away with palm mutes on a high gain amp sounded good with the JBL's, but was missing something. With the A7x's, they have a lot more "balls". The honk and bark of the Marshalls, and their derivatives, is just WAY more realistic. The dynamics and feel of every amp is on a different level, just SO realistic. I'm genuinely blown away all over again.
I don't do any mixing or anything like that, so can't say accurate these are, but to be honest, I'm not bothered. They make the Axe FX sound amazing, better than I ever imagined.

I could go on and on about the differences, but you get the idea. A lot of people already realised the difference a good set of monitors make years ago, but if you were like me and wondering if it is worth upgrading, I can 100% guarantee it is. I know they're not cheap, but even after one day I'd say the A7x's are easily worth the extra outlay. I know everyone doesn't have £900 (or more!) to drop on a pair of speakers, but I'm guessing we all went Fractal because we wanted the best. If you're running a cheaper set of monitors, like I was, I can't encourage you enough to look into an upgrade.

pauly

Fractal Fanatic
Yes Yes Yes - The speakers are as important as your microphones!
I cannot wait for someone to bring out an affordable 'Reference class' stage wedge... that will be the answer for most modellers. The current batch of $1000 stage monitors are just not accurate.
Thanks
Pauly

Jiffzillla

Experienced
Congrats on your new monitors! Just did a similar upgrade myself a couple months ago. Went from JBL LSR2328p monitors to Adam Audio S2V monitors. (Still running them with a JBL LSR2810p sub) And yes, they do indeed make a difference! The JBLs were not bad at all, but the Adam monitors are in a whole other area code.

MSS

Experienced
I bought a set of Adam a7x’s last year. I have not turned on my CLR since.

Last edited:
Congrats on your success

May I ask
  1. How did you compare or arrived st the choice between those and all the others(including over an FRFr )
  2. Do you think you can compare to the JBL or Maudio BX8a deluxe?

Thanks

fafakiwi

Inspired
Hi ,
For myself , i m a happy and lucky owner of two active xitone s cab from Mick ,
And it s magical each Time i turn the Axe on
CLR , Xitone , Adam A7x .... a taste of paradise.....

I want a new rig
IDK if I should get a CLR NEO (or an FRFR) or better monitors than bx8a and JBLs I have ?
They are studio monitors good for recording I guess. Ugh I want something louder !
What do u think

fafakiwi

Inspired
Hi ,
For myself , i m a happy and lucky owner of two active xitone s cab from Mick ,
And it s magical each Time i turn the Axe on
CLR , Xitone , Adam A7x .... a taste of paradise.....
Hi ,
With cabs like Xitones or Clr you ve are more like playing with an amp ,
Totally neutral , especially for modellers
Studio monitors are more dédicaces to studio ..... i think

Frqd92

Man I was happy as hell with my Axe 3 and JBL lsr 305 monitors but you ruined for me and i'm too broke to get Adams now.. What a cruel world..

Top Bottom