New SS + PA + CAB. Checking understanding

simonp54

Experienced
This was getting buried under the 1.16beta2 thread "whoop" comments... so I thought i'd post this question here.

I normally run delays and reverb after the AMP and CAB. With the new SS + PA + CAB option, i'm wondering if the following signal chain is correct....

IN----DRVs----AMP----DLY----REV----OUT
(the AMP above would have the SS + PA + CAB option set.)

normally the signal chain would be
IN----DRVs----AMP---CAB---DLY---REV---OUT
(in this chain the AMP would be in the FRFR mode)

That would be correct.

...if you’re running into a solid-state power amp and a real cab.

Last edited:
I think you misunderstand the new Output Mode?

The Output Mode does not replace the Cab block. It optimizes the output signal of the Amp block for the type of hardware power amplifier and type of hardware monitor/cabinet that's being used.

Or I misunderstood your question.

if this is your normal chain
AXE IN----DRVs----AMP---CAB---DLY---REV---AXE OUT----FRFR SPEAKER IN

Then you want the amp block in FRFR mode

If you want your signal chain to be
AXE IN----DRVs----AMP----DLY----REV----AXE OUT----SOLID STATE POWER AMP IN----SOLID STATE POWER AMP OUT ----GUITAR CABINET

Then use the SS + PA + CAB

So would something like the Roland Blues Cube qualify as SS Power Amp and Real Guitar Cabinet? Seems like it should?

I think you misunderstand the new Output Mode?

The Output Mode does not replace the Cab block. It optimizes the output signal of the Amp block for the type of hardware power amplifier and type of hardware monitor/cabinet that's being used.

Or I misunderstood your question.
This is what I’m asking... is the ss+pa option chain correct in my post or wrong... I think your saying it’s wrong because you think it needs a cab block.. I’m confused. Surely the “real guitar cab” connected to the real SS power amp is doing that part...? it would be really helpful to have a definitive answer. If we have a cab block required, won’t it colour the sound? Is there a “flat” cab block I don’t know about?

I think part of the confusion is that you haven't explicitly stated whether you're using an actual cab and solid-state power amp. That information is necessary to answer your "Is this correct?" question.

As @chris pointed out, the new Output Mode doesn't replace the Cab block. You need an actual cab to replace the Cab block.

Ok. I’m going to run both...
One chain frfr
The other chain to a ss amp which is connected to a guitar cabinet

My real question was expanded by the responses... so now the questions are....
1) when running the sspa option can you still run delays etc after the “amp”
2) when running the sspa option into a real sspa which is connected to a real cabinet do you need a cab block?
3) if you do need a cab block which should you use to not colour the tone into the real cab?

1) Yes.

2) No. A Cab block is a cabinet simulation. If you're using a real "guitar" cabinet (not FRFR), there's no need for a Cab block.

3) N/a.

if you do need a cab block which should you use to not colour the tone into the real cab?
The whole purpose of a Cab block is to color your sound. What do you need a Cab block for if you're running into a real cab?

The whole purpose of a Cab block is to color your sound. What do you need a Cab block for if you're running into a real cab?
Rex, I think you’ll find I was seeking clarification, which I now have and incidentally matches my OP assumptions. Admittedly I didn’t state the fact that I was actually intending to do both FoH FRFR and Real SS amp into Real Cab as separate chains. Is there a reason for your question? As yek said “3) n/a” which is what I originally thought.

I think his use case is, like many of us who still use real guitar cabs and FRFR concurrently.

What is the optimal set up for folks like this, including myself?

What is the optimal set up without needing to duplicate the FRFR path through a cab block and set the amplifier block to FRFR, while your cab signal goes out another route needing another identical amp block set to SS+PA?

I feed FRFR via Out2 and real cabs via Out1.

I believe this is why some of us are requesting an option for “both”, however I don’t know how or if that would work.

I have been running output 1 to my FOH JBL PA and DAW. And output 2 to my Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 solid state power amp and Marshall 4x12.
I wand to continue to run output 1 to the PA and DAW in FRFR mode, but also run output 2 to my solid state power amp and cab in the new SS mode. Can this option be added in the next software rev. Thanks

I tried both today on the Verb Vib and Plexi presets. Must say that SS+PA sounds great. That’s with both small FRFR monitors running along with 2 2x12 Friedman cabs w V30s. :)
Ymmv.

What if i want two use a cab and FOH routes?
I planned to have two signal routes, one with a cab and one wihout.
But this output setting is located in the amp, right? ...

Back
Top Bottom