New speaker tech

Yawn........3000 watts to get 105 db? Current tech is WAAAAYYYY beyond that already.

Your right about one thing though, it does sound like the way over-hyped junk Bose puts out.

Last edited:
The SPL specs are strange. 750W only produces 99 dB. That's terrible. A typical speaker is 90 dB re 1W @ 1m. To get this typical speaker to 99 dB would require 9 dB more power, or 8 watts. Yet this thing only produces 99 dB with 750W!!!!

The SPL specs are strange. 750W only produces 99 dB. That's terrible. A typical speaker is 90 dB re 1W @ 1m. To get this typical speaker to 99 dB would require 9 dB more power, or 8 watts. Yet this thing only produces 99 dB with 750W!!!!

Great observation. With such a big stack of patents, I'm thinking they must be up to something innovative? Perhaps they're able to achieve the wider range at a significant decrease in energy efficiency per DB? Is your energy consumption model considering the power requirements of a regular FRFR + Sub?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but you're better off getting your audiophile news from Stereophile or The Absolute Sound.

Bass is all about volume displacement. If your speaker is small, it needs to move in and out a large distance (= Xmax in speaker terms).

Here are a couple good intro books to speakers:
* Ray Alden, Speaker Building 201
* Vance Dickason, Loudspeaker Design Cookbook
* Philip Newell and Keith Holland, Loudspeakers: For Music Recording and Reproduction
* Floyd Toole, Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms
* Martin Colloms, High Performance Loudspeakers

Or you could try the DIY Audio website.

The part of the review that amuses me is the Sting & Rick Rubin quotes. Both people don't say if they listened to their own recordings which they would know the low end content intimately by listening to them in world class studio listening environments. For all we know from those quotes, they listened to some unfamiliar French EDM pumping away and voiced an opinion, where the sub-woofer could end up as hyped as a pair of Dr. Dre Beats headphones.

I hope at least both guys were paid well for putting their names to such odd comments.

To me Bose has always been smoke and mirrors, over priced junk. But that is just my opinion of it. They seem to always over hype there stuff to the point of almost fraud, so yeah I'll pass:)

Well those guys come from the audiophile world and they sell stuff that costs a fortune. I have a friend who has a 60K+ installation and it sounds like crazy. The Phantom is their cheapest product ever (***just*** 2K), and got lots of attention at CES (The Devialet Phantom is a new frontier, best of CES 2015 | DAR__KO) . What they claim is that it moves as much air as cabinets 10 times the size, because they have loudspeakers with very large moving range. If it lives to its promises it may be an interesting FRFR to plug to an AXE FX, much lighter than atomic wedges ... the issue is that it's mostly a network loudspeaker, so we would need to send the sound out of the Axe via wifi. There is an optical numeric input (toslink) but I dont know if it will accept the sampling rate of the Axe. If anyone has hints to get a "jack to wifi" device, I'm interested. i'm probably going to buy the Phantom because it's a cool and innovative machine but I'd really like to be able to plug it to my axe FX ...

Back
Top Bottom