New (?) source of bass cab IRs

selta

Power User
I just happened to stumble on these a couple of minutes ago:
http://www.3sigmaaudio.com/items/category/basscabs/

Recorded on world class SSL G Series Preamps and top of the line microphones, 3 Sigma Audio Guitar Impulses set the new standard in guitar tone. 10 mix ready impulses provide a full sonic portrait of the cabinet with unparalleled realism and response. Tube and Solid State variations allow you to play through an accurate or hot-rodded version of each cabinet, with the ability to blend between both.

So, that all sounds fine and dandy, but doesn't tell us a whole lot xD

6 bass cab IRs for $33.60 (if you buy all 6 at once - otherwise, $7 each).

1) Ampeg SVT 8×10 -
2) GK Neo 8×10 -
3) Aguilar DB 8×10 -
4) GK MB150S (a little 1x12) -
5) Trace Elliot 1048 (4x10 + horn) -
6) Mark Bass 104HF (4x10 + horn) - https://youtu.be/BziixTA7DOU

The site is kind of lacking information - I'm presuming these are 10 IRs each, but not sure what mic was used on them. Hard to go wrong for $33.60. I'll pick them up and will play around with them when I get a chance - probably Sunday morning. I'll circle back around and post my impressions and if I'm feeling OK, will post sound clips as well.

I inquired of the creator about the length of the IRs, and he said they were 150msec, and able to be used as UltraRes IRs with the AxeFxII (assuming conversion necessary, non-native .syx). I'm happy to see another source of IRs for bassists. These sound good to me, and good standard variety of popular cab tones.

Thanks for that info, jimfist! I was going to shoot them an email before buying to see about getting more info, too.

Here's a couple of shots from the information you get when you purchase these:
GK_Neo_810_Manual.jpg

and...
Position_Info.jpg

I'll be poking around at these this coming weekend, and hope to post at least initial thoughts, if not reviews and sound clips. Stay tuned!

I actually didn't yet have time to buy them. I will be tonight, though, and will at least try them out on one of my most familiar presets. Sorry for the delay :(

I started a thread on the forum about them. Good to get more responses here.

What I love about their method is sticking to the common speaker (in some cases, two types) commonly used in each cab, and then shooting with a handful of mics in a few positions. Less is most definitely more. Otherwise, the rabbit hole goes all the way to China!

They need to expand some. I think they're missing variations of EVM12L cabs, but also not SRO and no Golds. In time, I suppose. What they offer now is pretty comprehensive. $7 a pack is nice. I wish they would offer a bigger discount if you just buy all of them (but that's me just being greedy and cheap! lol).

20% off is pretty awesome, and the initial pricing is already good to me. I'm glad they're not covering ground that other IRs already cover - from the bass perspective. I have no idea what guitar IRs they have, and with the 30+ cab packs, it's hard to imagine most of the common stuff hasn't already been covered there too.

I do know they're also taking input on what IRs to shoot next, and are planning to continually release new ones, so keep an eye on their site for future updates. I don't know what cadence they're shooting for on releases though.

I bought all 6 IRs available. I spun through them very quickly on the main preset I use with one of my bands. They're fairly nice sounding for the most part, though I'll honestly have to give these a better listen tomorrow and give more input on each then. I'll at least come back with some of my thoughts tomorrow, then I go on a trip Wed-Sun, so next week I'll try to do some sample recordings for everyone as well.

My initial impression is that these are good and worth my time to really dig in and try. They are definitely different than the OH cab pack I have - so far, in a good way, but more time with them will tell.

Oh, and I'll provide clips of 3Sig / OH... if people want, I can post them without names at first, that way you can form an opinion before knowing where they came from?

thats great to hear, i think ill end up pulling the trigger on at least the aguilar pack in that case. it'll be nice to have a useable 8x10 IR for once :)
Well, it's nice to *finally* have Ultra Res. Shame that we had to wait for a 3rd party and pony up extra for such a profound cab. Imagine if the 1960A wasn't in this thing at all? :)

Ok, so I did about an hour of "quick audition" with these and the OH IRs. 60 minutes is hardly enough to go through 600+ IRs, so forgive me for not having a ton of detail just yet.

Overall, I feel that the the 3 Sigma IRs are "better", in the sense that they work better for what I am aiming for. I have a hunch that making a stereo cab with one OH and one 3Sig will be a pretty sweet setup, but that's getting down the rabbit hole a bit for now.

The 3 Sigmas sounded and felt like they had better control/tightness in the lo-lows. The mids felt pretty nice if not maybe a little over emphasized. Again, generally speaking. I have to do a lot more testing and such, and will get sound clips up for everyone next week.

Look forward to hearing more about these. I appreciate your time and effort. I have both the ML and OH cab packs for bass and so far I am enjoying the OH pack a lot. 33 dollars for 6 more cabs seems worth it to me haha.

So, i just went through the Aguilar 8x10 IRs and did a quick couple of patches and so far im liking the way they play with the axe. Havent gotten them into a mix context just yet but theyre doing what used to take me a couple IRs to accomplish, lots of top end and clarity and low end to boot. I threw these two clips together really quick just to get some samples out there for anyone wondering about the quality. the first clip is a fairly stock AD200B setup with pedal comp 2 up front; the only changes i made were to the master vol which is wide open per taste, i changed the tubes to the 12ax7b also per taste, and i added some transformer grind, otherwise everything is untouched. the second clip is a typical modern sound with lots of processing, i gave it my usual settings and it took them like a champ, im really impressed with these. Oh, and i didnt touch the tracks in post these are all raw wet tracks straight out the axe!

So, i just went through the Aguilar 8x10 IRs and did a quick couple of patches and so far im liking the way they play with the axe. Havent gotten them into a mix context just yet but theyre doing what used to take me a couple IRs to accomplish, lots of top end and clarity and low end to boot. I threw these two clips together really quick just to get some samples out there for anyone wondering about the quality. the first clip is a fairly stock AD200B setup with pedal comp 2 up front; the only changes i made were to the master vol which is wide open per taste, i changed the tubes to the 12ax7b also per taste, and i added some transformer grind, otherwise everything is untouched. the second clip is a typical modern sound with lots of processing, i gave it my usual settings and it took them like a champ, im really impressed with these. Oh, and i didnt touch the tracks in post these are all raw wet tracks straight out the axe!

Wow. Now do I want to save money and buy one or two or just buy all of them...

Back
Top Bottom