new song, Dizzy, with all guitars done w axe-fx

gdgross

Experienced
The title says it all

Point your browser to www.northern45.com and either click on the link to download the tune or just choose it on the flash player over to the right.

Rhythm guitars were done with a PRS hollowbody ii and the "buttery" model. Lead guitars were a tele with the ac30tb model, and a few additions were a LP and the JCM800 model.

Acoustic guitars are real. ;-)

Hope you like it!

Cool song and well written. I like the tone of the vocalist too. Is that your vox and harmonies? It sounded similar to Matchbox 20 to my ears.

I have a few suggestions. You can take 'em or toss 'em in the trash. Please just take it as constructive criticism and not trashing your tune because it's a good one. :)

-That sparse pause right before the choruses: I like how it comes down for a second and explodes into the choruses, but the timing or feel of it didn't seem to groove with the rest of it. It felt "awkward" a little to my ears.

-I would bring the acoustic gtrs down in the choruses and/or bring up more electric gtrs in the mix to give a thicker and maybe a touch heavier feel to the mix. The chorus is powerful, but the electric guitars don't really bring as much impact as they could.

Keep in mind, I'm listening on some Dell computer speakers so the mix may sound killer on your monitors...I don't know. :)

Cool tune. Nice job.

cheers,
Steve

You should be excited about it, that's a great song. I thought of Rob Thomas, too. The guitars fit the song well, tone and playing, the acoustic sounds great, how did you mic it? The vox is up front, where it should be, he (you?) will be going places. Nicely done.

Great stuff. The material, performance and arrangement are truly 'there'. The mix needs work.

I'd love a shot to mix that for you. I mean it too. The suggestions above are good ones.

Thanks guys, for the suggestions also. I can play guitar ok, but I an absolute neophyte at mixing.

Vocals are not me, they are our singer, Kevin Bachelder.

Scott, you have a pm. :)

Really good; vocals a great and the arrangement is really nice. Good guitar tones. The mix does need some work; I think you have got a real winner hear; great job!!! Please post Scott's remix!!!

Oh and regarding effects on the eigth note (I'm not sure exactly to where you are referring, there's a lot of 1/8 note guitar going on in that song! :)

In mix, there's no effects whatsoever on the guitars except eq and compression. And double tracking, of course. :)

Oh and on the guitar effects (not sure to where exacty in the song you are referring, there's a lot of eigth note guitar going on. :)

In my mix there are no effects whatsoever on any of the guitars (except eq and compression). And double tracking. :). Scotts mix is also pretty sparse effects wise.

Re acoustic micing: acoustic was mic'd with a Shure ksm32 somhwere close to the joint.

That's a 'Really great' tune... a definite hit!
For what it's worth, I prefer the first (original) mix.. :D
The instrumentation, for my taste, seems much too distant in the 2nd mix

Thanks for sharing :p

Back
Top Bottom