New single is live!

Seems like a good moment to point out that unix-guys web site and discography are pretty amazing also.
The music on his web page stays playing while I use other apps too-
I have to pay YouTube $15 a month for that ability.
Thanks Bill!

After 26 years, TooMuchFiction is pretty much in retirement for the last 2 years. But I am very proud of maintaining a band for that long (even though by the end even my founding partner was no longer involved). I am glad you enjoy the music.

The core of the band has turned into a new project tentatively titled Regular Expression. We spent about a year working on some instrumental song ideas (quite a bit more "adventurous" than TMF music!) and had just started to work recording demo arrangement when lockdown kicked in :(

At this point we haven't played together for almost a year...

Thats awesome.
Would love to hear your instrumental stuff when it’s done.
I thought the song Change was an instrumental at first. It’s really good brother.

Right on.
Checking out your page as we speak.
Missed it initially at first so it’s all good.
unix-guy’s band is named Too Much Fiction and theres a link in the same place you have yours.
Thx man.
OK Bill, I totally understand everything now. You meant my YouTube discography. I didn't know at first if you were talking to me or Unix.

My YouTube page was crested by the company I went with to put all my material in all the stores, which was TuneCore. They have several options available and are definitely worth checking out. And you actually get paid from everything with them.

The only down side is, you need 3 separate releases before YouTube will grant you an official artist page. I'm in the midst of them setting me up with that now since I have 2 cds out plus the single.

The whole "Topic" thing annoys me as I have my own YouTube channel I would have loved to use. Anyway, so sorry for the confusion and me totally misunderstanding everything.

Thanks Bill!

After 26 years, TooMuchFiction is pretty much in retirement for the last 2 years. But I am very proud of maintaining a band for that long (even though by the end even my founding partner was no longer involved). I am glad you enjoy the music.

The core of the band has turned into a new project tentatively titled Regular Expression. We spent about a year working on some instrumental song ideas (quite a bit more "adventurous" than TMF music!) and had just started to work recording demo arrangement when lockdown kicked in :(

At this point we haven't played together for almost a year...
Link me up man. I went to your profile and can't find any links. Would love to check out your stuff. 👍

Thats awesome.
Would love to hear your instrumental stuff when it’s done.
I thought the song Change was an instrumental at first. It’s really good brother.
Haha... That's funny. We never officially released that album - those tracks are still "pre-release" and IMO not yet fully "done".

My plan was to split that track into 2 parts with the intro section titled "Prelude to Change" and then the main track as "Change".

Although it sounds nothing like it, the inspiration for the intro was the album version of Death Cab for Cutie's song "I Will Posess Your Heart". It's got a great subtle build for almost 4 minutes before the actual song starts. Give it a listen!

It's in my signature... I need to check my profile because it might not be there.

http://toomuchfiction.com
Nah it was there in your sig....one of the downfalls of phone use on here. I can't see crap any more. Had a chance to listen to a few tunes....really good stuff. Singer has a good voice. Chic singers are tough to print without having them sound nasal or small/irritating to me. She was really impressive. Guitar playing was super tasty, cool tones! I'll definitely listen to more as time permits. Thanks for sharing. Best of luck with everything.

And while I'm here, thank you all for commenting, and listening to my song. I really appreciate it. Maybe I'll share more stuff and put it in the AxeII forum. Thanks again, everyone. :)

Nah it was there in your sig....one of the downfalls of phone use on here. I can't see crap any more. Had a chance to listen to a few tunes....really good stuff. Singer has a good voice. Chic singers are tough to print without having them sound nasal or small/irritating to me. She was really impressive. Guitar playing was super tasty, cool tones! I'll definitely listen to more as time permits. Thanks for sharing. Best of luck with everything.

And while I'm here, thank you all for commenting, and listening to my song. I really appreciate it. Maybe I'll share more stuff and put it in the AxeII forum. Thanks again, everyone. :)
Oh, yeah... The signature gets hidden in small screens!

Thanks for listening and the kind words. Always nice to hear good things from someone who's work you also appreciate :)

Oh, yeah... The signature gets hidden in small screens!

Thanks for listening and the kind words. Always nice to hear good things from someone who's work you also appreciate :)
And just so you know, I didn't listen on my phone. I wouldn't do you or anyone else that injustice. Lol! I had seen Bill mention he heard your stuff and I didn't see anything on your sig or your profile. Wanted to at least have a look but I couldn't see anything. Will continue to listen....thanks again! :)

Woah, I've not heard that name since...I. feel like obiwan. Lol! I used to know a Joker from Mplayer. Is it you? How did you know my MAJIC nic? That's so cool!

Thanks for the song and tone props. I'd probably sound just like I do now on the III because that's the tone I'd shoot for. I know people like the III better. But I'm totally happy with what I have. I definitely don't miss tweaking all the time. There comes a time where we gotta play and stay focused. I used to tweak tones so much it made my playing suffer. When that starts to happen, we have to stop.

Now that I'm older and wiser, it's a breath of fresh air to turn on my rigs and smile every day because I love my tones and don't have to tweak a thing. I may not get updates and surprises, but the time I've put in to what I already have, has made it so worthwhile for me. Like I mentioned before....maybe someday. :) Thanks again!

I knew you'll love hearing your old moniker! :D Good memories! I haven't registered an account back then, was only a teenager appreciating guitar related music online and I remember liking your songs, too, which is why the name stuck with me even after almost 15 or so years.

I totally get what you mean, your ear will guide you to that specific tone in your head no matter what gear you're using. At the end of the day, it's all about making music, gear is only there to facilitate this process. Glad you ultimately also found your tone on the Axe FX II. Are you using pre-quantum Axe FX II firmware? Which is your favorite firmware version?

I knew you'll love hearing your old moniker! :D Good memories! I haven't registered an account back then, was only a teenager appreciating guitar related music online and I remember liking your songs, too, which is why the name stuck with me even after almost 15 or so years.

I totally get what you mean, your ear will guide you to that specific tone in your head no matter what gear you're using. At the end of the day, it's all about making music, gear is only there to facilitate this process. Glad you ultimately also found your tone on the Axe FX II. Are you using pre-quantum Axe FX II firmware? Which is your favorite firmware version?
It IS you! Hahaha! Always loved your playing and ideas. We sure did spend a lot of time hanging out back then, didn't we? It was a fun time....cam's with dropped frames in slow motion, mono audio....haha!! Sure is great to hear from you. I always wondered what happened to you and some of the others. I'm still friends with a few from there.

Yeah sometimes the ear guides us, but the hardest thing for guitar players is, you spend a lifetime getting that tone you absolutely love, only to find out it's good for an "all alone" sound, and not good with a mixture of other instruments. I became pretty good friends with Beau Hill, the dude that produced Ratt, Dweezil, Alice Cooper, Warrant, Europe, Winger etc. I asked him one time to do an interview with me for my old message forum I used to have. He agreed to it and one of the questions I asked him was about the tone on "Lay It Down". He said Warren could play through a pignose and still sound like Warren. Same with Kee Marcello from Europe and Reb Beach from Winger.

He said he got that "Lay it Down" tone where he wanted it pretty much, and then when the band kicks in, it was probably automated differently to fit the mix. He couldn't really remember because it was so long ago. He was flattered people even loved those tones as much as they did. I think a lot of players miss this aspect when trying to create their "ultimate tones". Another bad habit is guitar players are always going for thickness and over use bass and too much gain. Once you can feel the low end pumping, you're using too much. Once you sound like a run-on sentence, you're using too much gain. Anything under 80hz to me usually sounds like "whoomf" and starts masking with the bass. All of the above is just my personal opinion though.

Anyway, I've always liked the earlier versions of the FW even though you may not get the best options. To MY ears, some of the later stuff just sort of had more of a transistor tone, sound wise. It behaved more like tubes, but something just sounded artificial. Like most of the guys that create slamming EVH tones on here. Listen to their pinch harms. They don't do those screams EVH did like, Intruder, or at the Meanstreets solo. Listen close now that I've pointed it out to you. All the pinch harms on user presets have that synthetic, transistor sound to me. If you were able to download and try my VH preset for the Ax8 using the right FW where it was created, you get that scream I'm talking about. Some got EVH tones way better than me, but I had the important elements that had the core tone pretty darned close. Getting the sound is easy....getting the elements will always be the challenging parts.

In earlier FW, it is my personal belief that the 12AX7 tones were stronger and more precise. Cliff once explained it to me as a "starved plate" type effect. We sort of drifted away from that, and to me, that was one of the qualities I needed in a tube rig. The output tubes aren't as important to me using a high gain tone than having that 12AX7 front end rip my nuts off. Fractal, in my opinion, has always been at the forefront for that particular sound. But for me, it lies within some of the older FW even if it isn't the BEST choice. It has been for me and what I personally need and look for in a tone.

As far as faves, I got some of the best live tones ever with FW 15 pre quantum. It just sounded so insane there. BUT, there was a hint of that transistor thing I was talking about along with how it FELT. Quantum 1 for me was tough to warm up to. Q2 blew me away! I felt the tube element was insanely good, the feel was there, and by Q4, with the FW adjustment option built into AXE Edit, I was personally in heaven because it never hosed my sounds and I could use multiple FW in one update. Anything after that just wasn't for me. However, the latest 10.1 in my AX8, is fantastic and I get everything I need from it. The same FW on my XL+ or my regular AXEII, and it just doesn't get the same sound. It's a bit loose to where I can't tighten it up like I can in Q2-4.

And, if I copy the patch I love in my AX8 in the AXEII using identical settings, it sounds so different, it's mind boggling. Most of the time, all my patches I've shared between the two are so close, it's not worth comparing. But for some reason, I'm not even close and I can't get whatever the AX8 is doing that the rack aint! LOL! It's good, I just like what I have already. There's something with the older FW using the 5 amps I use that just sings to me. For me, the object is to get the best tone, not to get the FW with the most bells and whistles that forces me to rework everything I've slaved over.

Being older with less patience, I don't have it in me to start over unless the benefits obliterate what I have. Remember the posts with people crying about redoing their tones due to an update and the masses responding "well, don't update!"......I was one that cried all the time. One day I listened to the masses and just stuck with what worked for me. I might have had more friends around here if I would have just listened to the masses over crying every month when an update came out. But I too wanted the latest and greatest. I'm actually sorry that I cried about it as often as I did. But I also can't help that I'm human and just wasn't on the train with everyone else all the time. Glad to see you're still around man. Stay healthy and safe!

Back
Top Bottom