New Schecter - Issues?

If it was just the fretboard, I would go with it, as the grain varies quite a bit in this model, and I like this particular one. But with the high E string tuning issue and (I forgot to mention) the volume pot being super crackly (which I could probably fix with contact cleaner), I might swap it out.
I don't know if it's the angle of the photo, but the string placement seems tweeked. From the picture it looks like your low E is closer to the edge of the fretboard than the high E. One of 3 things could be out of alignment, neck, bridge or nut. The Sweetwater picture that Henry posted, the strings look straight and even on his guitar.

I’m not sure what kind of normal maintenance you would normally do on a guitar, used, new or your own?
Strung up, I check for high frets and mark.
Then I always take the strings off, check everything is tight, give the fret board a once over look, polish with a rag and depending I might use linseed oil, or just orange or lemon polish and wipe everything down, new strings. For pots, I have a contact spray, usually give that a light spray over for toggles n pots.
Nothing you’ve mentioned sounds terrible, the fret board looks light a light scuff of 2k grit or more would clear that up. Something I would do if I saw that during a string change.
You either like it or you don’t, if you like it, clean it up and enjoy.
I tried hitting one of the fret gaps with tru-oil, but it didn't make a difference. I didn't want to sand it and risk making it unreturnable. I liked that guitar's feel/sound, but I swapped it out for another one they had at GC. It played just as well and the necks on the two they had were uniform with no spotting. The GC guy agreed that it looked like something liquid splashed onto the neck. I've played it for a couple of hours now and the high E is retaining pitch well...and the pot isn't crackly.

I don't know if it's the angle of the photo, but the string placement seems tweeked. From the picture it looks like your low E is closer to the edge of the fretboard than the high E. One of 3 things could be out of alignment, neck, bridge or nut. The Sweetwater picture that Henry posted, the strings look straight and even on his guitar.
Could be. I just figured it was easier to swap it out for one that didn't have issues. Thanks!

@JD_ Glad you found a good one! The vol pot on mine is scratchy too, and I’m just thinking of swapping for Bourns 82s or Bourns 95s anyway. A sealed pot should also prevent that from happening in the future.

@JD_ @Henry Have you been messing around with the second pickup selector position from the bridge? I’m loving the clean and edges of breakup tones in that position.

Only been using positions 1 and 5 so far.

I highly recommend trying position two (i.e., counting the bridge as 1) with the Bludojai Clean with MV dimed. If you at all like edge of break up tones or just pure filth of that sort it's fantastic! I've found it awesome also with both Dirty Shirleys and every Fender, but always with a high MV. YMMV.

I highly recommend trying position two (i.e., counting the bridge as 1) with the Bludojai Clean with MV dimed. If you at all like edge of break up tones or just pure filth of that sort it's fantastic! I've found it awesome also with both Dirty Shirleys and every Fender, but always with a high MV. YMMV.
Yep, that is one of my favorites on that guitar. I roll the guitar volume way back on my 5153 blue preset and it’s awesome. IIRC, that is one coil from each pickup, but I don’t recall whether it’s the inners or outers.

IIRC, that is one coil from each pickup, but I don’t recall whether it’s the inners or outers.

I wrote Schecter for the wiring, and I attached it to the first post here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ngd-schecter-svss-exotic.173166/

According to them, it’s the inner coil of the bridge with the outer of the neck! Unusual, probably to keep it hum canceling in that position. I haven’t taken off the pickguard to verify, and I couldn’t tell for sure from tapping the slugs and screws. Interestingly, I get more hum in position 3 haha, just the tiniest bit.

That’s intriguing with the idea of using it with the 5153 blue; I’ll definitely give that a whirl. Another couple I love with that position are the 800 and 800 Mod.

Reactions: JD_
Outer coils together are a way to approximate a tele sound.
Inner coils together are a way to approximate strat position 4.

Back
Top Bottom