New Schecter - Issues?

JD_

Inspired
I recently bought a Sun Valley Super Shredder Exotic which has a few issues that I'm not sure are flaws. The guitar is equipped with a Floyd Rose, and I find that the high E string goes flat pretty consistently. It's the one string I'm adjusting more than the others, and I've broken one high E already. I'm not doing much with the bar, and I did stretch the new E string with my 'string stretcha' when I replaced it. I definitely do a lot of bending on the higher strings, but it just seems that I'm having to adjust it up more than I do on my other regulars (none of which have a Floyd). I've had to unlock the clamp and use the tuner 3 or 4 times in two weeks. I'm not sure what the cause could be other than the string continuing to stretch.

The other issue is some spotting on the ebony fretboard. It almost looked like something was splashed on the fretboard, but I can't seem to clean it off:
20210614_190622.jpg
Schecter tell me that this is currently normal for ebony due to a lack of supply to choose from. Anyone seen this on an ebony fretboard?

The guitar plays great and I'm really enjoying it, but I'm not sure if I should return it due to these couple of factors. Thanks.

That E string should not keep going flat on a Floyd.

I would suggest making sure the saddle is not slipping forward.

Also, make sure the clamp block on the locking nut is in place correctly - there's a slight radius from the front to back of nut but not from side to side. The block has a matching radius on 2 opposing sides.

Also make sure there's not a groove in the bottom.

By the way, did you get the one with the sustainer? What color?
Thanks for the suggestions @unix-guy - I'll check those out. I got the Black Limba one with the natural finish (https://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/svss-exotic-black-limba-detail). I have a strat with Rosewood neck which I love the feel of, and this one has a wenge neck that is similar in feel and color - very fast. I'm also a fan of Korina and 24-fret necks, so it checked a lot of boxes for me.

Reactions: JD_
Not very clear in this pic, but there are grooves in the bottom of the clamp block. Someone must have cranked it down pretty hard at some point. That would be an easy fix if that's the culprit.
20210620_120419.jpg

Not very clear in this pic, but there are grooves in the bottom of the clamp block. Someone must have cranked it down pretty hard at some point. That would be an easy fix if that's the culprit.
View attachment 85063
That looks fairly normal... I wouldn't be too concerned there.

And from what I can tell from the pic also appears the block matched the radius.

overall, I'd say it's a bad time to buy guitars. Prices are up, supply is down, product getting rushed out the factory, Q.C. abandoned. Fingerboard splatter is probably just cosmetic. If you like how the guitar plays then just go with it.:)

I have the same guitar (I think). My fretboard looks fairly homogeneous in comparison. Picture is from SW but is my actual guitar.

I found that stretching strings makes a big difference with staying in tune, even with a FR. I just played a 1.5 hour outdoors gig yesterday with that guitar in pretty hot weather, I didn't retune a single time. No extreme whammy bar use though.

1624213714153.png

I have the same guitar (I think). My fretboard looks fairly homogeneous in comparison. Picture is from SW but is my actual guitar.

I found that stretching strings makes a big difference with staying in tune, even with a FR. I just played a 1.5 hour outdoors gig yesterday with that guitar in pretty hot weather, I didn't retune a single time. No extreme whammy bar use though.

View attachment 85071
Yeah, to me it looks like something splattered on it. I'm going to run over to GC, as they have another one in stock.

overall, I'd say it's a bad time to buy guitars. Prices are up, supply is down, product getting rushed out the factory, Q.C. abandoned. Fingerboard splatter is probably just cosmetic. If you like how the guitar plays then just go with it.:)
If it was just the fretboard, I would go with it, as the grain varies quite a bit in this model, and I like this particular one. But with the high E string tuning issue and (I forgot to mention) the volume pot being super crackly (which I could probably fix with contact cleaner), I might swap it out.

Crackly volume pots, my pet peeve with (imported) Schecters. I had a few and all of them developed the crackly pot syndrome. My new one is good so far.

Whatever it is that you're seeing on the fretboard is not the wood. I wouldn't accept it, and the guitar should've never made it out of the factory.

I’m not sure what kind of normal maintenance you would normally do on a guitar, used, new or your own?
Strung up, I check for high frets and mark.
Then I always take the strings off, check everything is tight, give the fret board a once over look, polish with a rag and depending I might use linseed oil, or just orange or lemon polish and wipe everything down, new strings. For pots, I have a contact spray, usually give that a light spray over for toggles n pots.
Nothing you’ve mentioned sounds terrible, the fret board looks light a light scuff of 2k grit or more would clear that up. Something I would do if I saw that during a string change.
You either like it or you don’t, if you like it, clean it up and enjoy.

Naptha (lighter fluid) is a great way to clean fretboards of all kinds of gunk. Almost looks like they splattered clear on it tho. If naptha doesn't do it I'd probably send it back.

I have exactly the same guitar (same finish too), and the nut mounting screws were not screwed in all the way at the factory. When I first got it pull ups on the Floyd were returning slightly sharp, screwing in the nut mounting screws the rest of the way fixed it for me. I don't know if that would translate to just the high E going flat on yours, but I'd take a look regardless. Best of luck!

I have exactly the same guitar (same finish too), and the nut mounting screws were not screwed in all the way at the factory. When I first got it pull ups on the Floyd were returning slightly sharp, screwing in the nut mounting screws the rest of the way fixed it for me. I don't know if that would translate to just the high E going flat on yours, but I'd take a look regardless. Best of luck!
I was going to mention that, too, but didn't since only 1 string is having an issue... But definitely a good point!

@sean.e @unix-guy I do think the saddles are more probably for that reason, that it's just one string. I think in general the trem-related QC at the factory is leaving more to be desired. At least harder to fix stuff, like fretwork, seems to be good on these things across the board!

I'm having a trem problem too, that I posted in my own NGD thread. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll just link it, in case anyone with a lot of trem experience might be able to help: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ngd-schecter-svss-exotic.173166/post-2112005

Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom