New Sample Rate Reduction feature in Drive block

AdamCook

Power User
We're adding a Sample Rate Reduction feature to the drive block to help out those folks that like to get wishy washy crinkly crackly messy low-fi type sounds. You can dial in sample rate from 48khz down to 100hz to get all kinds of ugly aliased goodness. For a darker sound with less aliasing, you can use the low-cut feature in the drive block to cut out some high freqs before sample rate reduction occurs.

Here's a little preview of a rather extreme type of setting. Sample Rate reduction is being applied to the delayed repeats only. Sample Rate parameter is attached to a modifier being controlled by a slow sweeping triangle LFO sweeping between range of about 2khz to about 7khz.

Very cool.

What's the (audible) difference between (already present) bit reduction (resolution) and sample rate reduction?

Very cool.

What's the (audible) difference between (already present) bit reduction (resolution) and sample rate reduction?

Bit reduction is a lo-fi crunchy kind of sound but sample rate reduction gives you those aliased overtones which can actually be sort of musical with the right settings. As you twist the knob down you hear these aliased frequencies moving in the audio band.

If you're not familiar with what aliasing is... I like to think of the car wheel analogy. You know how once a wheel starts rotating at a certain speed it appears that it starts spinning in the other direction at a lower speed? That's aliasing. Your eye isn't taking pictures at a high enough sample rate. So it can't properly represent the true frequency of the spinning wheel.

In audio world that means that the higher frequencies get "folded over" into lower frequencies. For example, if you changed sample rate down to 5khz then a 7.5khz sin wave would show up at 2.5khz. By attaching sample rate parameter to a modifier you can move around those aliased frequencies in real time for some cool effects.

Thanks so much Fractal team! This was brought up a while ago by myself with the support of others, and I wasn't sure if it was ever going to happen, I'm really glad you guys are adding this, it really is in a ballpark of its own! ... Just another testimony to the outstanding company that Fractal Audio is! : D .. This will be all over my guitar sound!

Great!

I'm not the first to say it, but I'd really appreciate if the Axe-Fx would offer more beyond the "regular" FX side.
I'm aware that alot can be done by combining what's already there and making use of controllers/modifiers (granular approach).
But the Axe-Fx would profit for sure if it did things no other box does (or at least not in FAS quality and parameter depth).

You took a perfectly good sound and turned it into distorted garbage.
Ray Davies would be proud. He might miss using razor blades to slash the speaker, but he'd dig it!

Very cool. Im looking forward to playing with this. Thanks Adam for the news and clip.
FAS staying on top!

And now I am comfortable selling my WMD Geiger Counter. I was going to wish list this feature but never got around to it. Love it.

Back
Top Bottom