New Rush Album Is A Masterpiece!!

Well there you go, over 30 years a Rush fan and still seeing them divide opinion as much as ever, I've heard and read it all over the years but that's part of the appeal :) FWIW, I love Geddy's voice but I think it has matured well over the years, they even tune to E flat for some songs now.

Rush + Steampunk = YES PLEASE! I can't friggin' wait to pick this up. I'm becoming obsessed with Steampunk culture. I've always been interested in it, but lately I've decided, "Screw it, I'm going for it" and I'm slowly converting everything I own to Steampunk. I've even started shopping for lightswitch covers for my house...

For you Sidivan Steampunk Solstice - Home It's on my doorstep but I realise its an 8000 mile round trip for you. Should be easy for any time traveling steampunker ;)

It just wouldn't be right if all people "Got" Rush!

Us diehards want them to remain our "Extremely Popular" little cult band. lol

I guess RUSH is kinda like coffee, either U luv 'em or hate 'em, and I do luv 'em. And maybe fine wine, "you gotta give it time."Been a fan since "Permenant Waves" which I consider as good as anything they have ever done. Grace Under Pressure took me a bit to warm up to, and I did, I guess I wanted it to sound like their previous LP's. But when U listen to them, both musically & lyrically there is always ALOT there to enjoy, and try to figure out. TIME MACHINE TOUR on Bluray is AWESOME, With BU2B and Caravan 2 Excellent JAMS. Seen 'em live 8 time I believe and plan on this year in Hotlanta. BTW their still selling out concert halls after all these years, which speaks for its self. Its OK everyone doesn't like My boys!! Like its cool that not everyone likes Golf, if they did they would just clog up my golf corses

Reactions: POB
For us aging guys, Nuf said...

Call me nuts but I LOVE the super old Rush stuff - the guitar tone is sooo much more natural and expressive to my ears (it faded for me after Exit Stage Left). And the vocals, well, like all great voices, Geddy's has lost range over time - that "yell" was so cool back in the 70s. Great to see the guys still going but like many bands, "many long for the good ole days". Maybe there's a surprise or 2 on the new record for us notalgists to hear some remnance of what was.

I agree with sprint. I keep ending up putting on 'Rush' [1974], the first album. I hadn't listened to that one much in the past, now I absolutely love it. I just love the raw sound, it's like a band just jamming away back in the 70's, although there is more than one guitar on there, etc. There's a real magic to it I can't describe very well. Very Led Zeppelin influenced, I would say.

By the way I got into Rush late! It's a really stupid story, heh, heh. I heard 'The Trees' and 'La Villa Strangiato' on the radio years before I got into them. Basically, I just thought they were like one-hit wonders, no way can they have other tunes as good as that!! Then a friend gave me a load of albums and it totally blew my mind. Fantastic band. I was just into thrash and death metal at the time, just playing mostly what the guitarist plays on bass, just an octave down. Very boring. When I heard how Geddy played bass, I 'got' it and was able to start writing better bass parts.

This is completely your loss. Tons of amazing tunes from Rush's 20 studio albums spanning their 38 years together so far!!

100% agree. I went through a period of about 15 years when I kind of ignored Rush, just around the time they went through their keyboard phase. I've since gone back and bought most of their releases and they are all very good.

They are certainly out of the keyboard phase now, which is a great thing.

A cool story on Neil Peart's blog NEP News about meeting Pete Townshend.

I've been a Rush fan for decades and Rush was a 'high water mark' for just about every rock musician in Canada; we'd spent hours trying to get the intro for Spirit Of Radio tight...or even 'kinda close' lol!

A friend's older sister has pictures of them having beers in their parents basement after their gig at a local highschool in the early 70's...cool stuff!!

I was late coming to the Rush bandwagon but LOVE them now. I think it takes great balls to adapt to the eras and change with the times, yet still be original. 3 fantastic musicians to boot.

This in new album better than most of the last 20 years, has some great moments, some "uggg" they almost recreated the past, then back to disappointment. They just get so darn repetitive unlike the past. I love the days when stories were told and song titles were barely mentioned, vs repeated 75 times. There used to be insanely memorable drum fills one couldnt help repeat in the air (air drumming), and riffs that stuck, vs ringing chords that are lost in memory. There were odd timing, off beats, stops and starts, total shifts in momentum etc etc.

Can't say I'm too fond of Headlong Flight. Sounds like they were intent on coming up with a longer song and did it by throwing a bunch of ideas together rather than a well thought out song. And it doesn't have a memorable melody for a "single". The two songs from last year were OK. This will need to have a lot better stuff than the three I have heard so far to even be as good as Snakes and Arrows which I thought was their best since Counterparts.

I'm a huge fan of all eras of Rush, but I like the middle period from Hemespheres to Power Windows the best, with Power Windows being my favorite. I know I'm in the minority, but I miss the keyboards.

This album really grew on me quickly. Like all good prog albums it takes a few listens to start to absorb a lot of the things going on in the longer tunes.

I was already digging the riffs and playing from day 1 but now that the melodies have sunk in this is turning into one of my favorite Rush albums.

This album really grew on me quickly. Like all good prog albums it takes a few listens to start to absorb a lot of the things going on in the longer tunes.

I was already digging the riffs and playing from day 1 but now that the melodies have sunk in this is turning into one of my favorite Rush albums.

My feelings exactly dude!!

+1

Me as well. Got to say I wasn't overly impressed to start with, but when you listen to it as a body of work and the theme and melodies sink in, wow! Also the musicianship on this album is phenomenal, I'd go as far to say the best playing I've heard from the guys. The recording and production quality of the album is also fantastic, HDTracks are offering a 24bit 96khz download and I will be buying this.

Back
Top Bottom