New Rotary Block - Brilliant!

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
Just wanted to alert to a very cool newly implemented feature in the new and improved Rotary Block.

The block now supports X/Y function and if you have different rates between X and Y will ramp between these. This is a very cool function which makes this effect even more usable live!

Very cool. I used to have a momentary switch on my pedal board to do this. One less device!

The thing sounds killer now. I can see my chorus blocks getting dropped!

Yep. Sounds much better now. I will use it more now.

In what way does it sound better now (besides the XY option)? Is there a sound comparison between the 'old' and new Rotary? I am waiting for the official FW18 and matching Axe Edit so I don't want to update now. But sill very curious about the Rotary sound improvements.

Luke, in front of Amp block or after (series or parallel)?

fw 18 is so inspiring! I've got a great sound going here now with the Supertweed --> Rotary --> Stereo UltraRes TV Mix#1/TV Mix#2. The Rotary between amp and cab block is how I like it best. Brings out that classic "swirling water" vibe. And I like to set up automatic modulation of the Fast vs Slow rotary speed by a triangular LFO, so it does its morphing thing like every ten seconds or so.

I've always liked to use an EXP pedal to control the speed range. I find it a bit more dynamic and expressive being able to have control over the speed range, though x/y and/or momentary switches for a fast/slow change still sound pretty cool.

I've always liked to use an EXP pedal to control the speed range. I find it a bit more dynamic and expressive being able to have control over the speed range...
Yes. That is exactly my thought as well. Sometimes I like to really drag out the transition between fast and slow, and other times I want to ramp a little faster. I love being able to finesse that transition, plus being able to use any of the speeds in between. Yes, I know that isn't technically the behavior of an actual Leslie. But then again, I sometimes use the heat gun on my workbench to reheat my coffee mug. :)

Can't wait to try this tonight. :encouragement: Got delayed in taking FW18 for a spin when my computer HD died! :(

I thought it sounded great the last time it got a polish! Holy shit. Best sounding effect in the box!

To me, the old Rotary block had more of a panned phaser kind of sound to it. More processed and artificial sounding. New rotary sounds more organic like a real leslie cab. There's a different character to the way it swirls and throbs. It also seems to have a wider range of depth now, allowing for a more intense sounding spin if desired.

Who will post their settings here?

I can't right now because my rig is on stage but I'll gladly do as soon as it's back.
IMO, the rotary is the most delicate effect to tweak to get "right". My ideal scene is the end solo of "Do You Feel Like I Do" which has the best Leslie sound for guitar I've ever heard. I'm still working on tweaking to get that tone which is super chewy.
I'll post a sample when i get a chance.

@Patzag awesome thanks. I have pretty simple pre sets so just the parameters within the block if you don't mind?? Thanks bro!!

@Patzag awesome thanks. I have pretty simple pre sets so just the parameters within the block if you don't mind?? Thanks bro!!

Believe it or not very little tweak is necessary to achieve a great tone with this and it's more of a preference thing. I also set the ratio of the horn speed to rotor speed to what actual cabinets exhibit.

Here's a quick sample recording.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cd2hgig4cn19ngm/Rotary%20Demo%20-%20Do%20You%20Feel.m4a?dl=0
And here are the settings on the block:

Rotary Block Settings.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom