New RME interface delivers very different tone on my patches

LucasRays

Hi there, nice people from Fractal forum, first post here! :)

So recently I upgraded my home studio and bought a new audiointerface, a RME UFX II USB, wich I enjoy a lot. The thing is, I had spent some good hours making some good patches for my simple UR22 and was quite pleased with waht I achieved. Now, the patch sounds rather dull and quite digital (without a thump, I don't know if I can explain decently) with the new audio interface. My inexperience would tell me that with a better audio interface, the patch would sound better, but I understand that every analog-digital converter is different and I should repatch my tones.

Can someone give me insight to what the best approach and why this happens?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Thanks a lot!
Reys.

I'm not an expert by any means, but... I'd try turning up your outputs on the AX8 to max and adjusting your inputs on your interface to a point just below any clipping.

Could be an impedance mismatch. Mystery lame sound is often a cable hanging by a thread or the wrong impedance. Make sure you have the inputs from the AFX set correctly re: line/mic/instrument. Could it be that your previous interface was set to mic or instrument in?

I had a cheap interface before I got a UCX, and once i got the UCX I noticed that the interface produced a fuzzier and slightly leaner tone. Possibly lacked dynamic range too but that's a bit harder to notice.

Last edited:
Check the RME Total Mix to see if you unknowingly turned on any of the built in effects - such as EQ or Dynamics. And check to find the best input level settings.

Back
Top Bottom