New rig for 2018. #rackupgrades

Pretty proud of how this turned out, so I figured I'd share.

I had a patch panel made by redco (some items were added in preparation for an AxeFX III eventually) and replaced my aging X2 wireless with 2 Line 6 Relay G55s. For one song my band plays, our singer plays acoustic guitar through input 2 while I play bass. I was tired of running a physical cable and found a good deal on some used G55s, so I pulled the trigger. Finding open channels on the G55 is harder than on the X2, but it sounds just as good and the transmitter is more solid, plus it runs on AAs (YAY!)

I also included some pics of our IEM rig, which I'm quite proud of as well.

I reckon you now want a pat on the back in the form of lots of likes, huh? You are totally transparent to me.

Who am I kidding. LIKED!

Awesome, well done!

My x32 rack is nowhere near as neat and perhaps I need to spend some time to make it more like yours :)

I should probably label my S8 inputs... Fortunately, I mostly know from memory but it means I have to be there to cable it up. ;)

Awesome, well done!

My x32 rack is nowhere near as neat and perhaps I need to spend some time to make it more like yours :)

Thanks! If I were to rebuild it, I'd use a bigger rack. In its current form, it's pretty much unserviceable at a gig thanks to the very tight spaces and "just long enough" cable runs. It also tends to run pretty hot. I lucked out that I was able to Tetris everything together into that small rack, but the trade-off is that there's almost zero airflow.

If / when I pick up an AxeFX III, I should be able to get rid of my line mixer and replace it with a 1u fan, but that's just a stopgap until we eventually rebuild in a bigger rack. The size is damn convenient though, even though it weighs an ungodly amount.

For airflow, look into computer case fans. I recommend going with magnetic bearing fans as they tend to be very quiet, and you actually don't need a very high RPM fan to make a big difference. In my home theater, I have a big rack full of amps, two computers, network gear, and whole-house controllers. It's a six foot industrial rack, and is completely full. That gear used to get very hot. I installed four low-RPM 12v fans that are nearly silent, and by just pulling a little air out the back, they keep everything at room temperature.

For airflow, look into computer case fans. I recommend going with magnetic bearing fans as they tend to be very quiet, and you actually don't need a very high RPM fan to make a big difference. In my home theater, I have a big rack full of amps, two computers, network gear, and whole-house controllers. It's a six foot industrial rack, and is completely full. That gear used to get very hot. I installed four low-RPM 12v fans that are nearly silent, and by just pulling a little air out the back, they keep everything at room temperature.

Awesome. Thanks for the tips!!!

Back
Top Bottom