New recording gear

Jeries

Power User
After using Digidesign gear for the last 10 years (Mbox, Mbox 2, Digi 003, Digi 003+)

I'm ditching my Digi 003+ and Presonus Digimax LT

For....

Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 and Focusrite OctoPre MkII

I think it's a good choice, good up grade.

I'll be running PT10 with it

After I sell the 003+ and Digimax I'll only be putting out about $200 out of pocket to make the step up.

I think it's worth it from what I've seen...

After using Digidesign gear for the last 10 years (Mbox, Mbox 2, Digi 003, Digi 003+)

I'm ditching my Digi 003+ and Presonus Digimax LT

For....

Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 and Focusrite OctoPre MkII

I think it's a good choice, good up grade.

I'll be running PT10 with it

After I sell the 003+ and Digimax I'll only be putting out about $200 out of pocket to make the step up.

I think it's worth it from what I've seen...

I'm thinking about upgrading my 003 to the Apollo 16 from UAD.

I think the Focusrite stuff is great kit though. Their latency numbers are good too.

Richard

I've been using the Focusrite stuff for the past few years, the exact setup you mention.

I wouldn't use anything else at this stage. Its ease of use is excellent, provided your clocking and sample rates all match. One word of warning. You need a separate word clock cable. It wont sync through the optical I/O like the Apogee AD16X. I'm not sure about functionality withing PT10, but I'm using it with Logic 9.1.8, and have never had any problems in the studio or on location. Also, if you can stretch that far, I've been using the Focusrite Liquid Mix 32. I offload most of my dynamic and eq processing duties to this.

I'm thinking about upgrading my 003 to the Apollo 16 from UAD.

I think the Focusrite stuff is great kit though. Their latency numbers are good too.

Richard

The Apollo stuff is great but it's 3x the price (1000 vs 3000) and i really don't want to deal with breakoutboxes for the inputs and thats will make the rig 4000 with all that extra gear

I think the liquid preamps which have great reviews will help with my cheapness

Also there's two so I wonder how running the axe into those xlrs would sound warming it up- then i'd need no additional outboard gear for it

I've been using the Focusrite stuff for the past few years, the exact setup you mention.

I wouldn't use anything else at this stage. Its ease of use is excellent, provided your clocking and sample rates all match. One word of warning. You need a separate word clock cable. It wont sync through the optical I/O like the Apogee AD16X. I'm not sure about functionality withing PT10, but I'm using it with Logic 9.1.8, and have never had any problems in the studio or on location. Also, if you can stretch that far, I've been using the Focusrite Liquid Mix 32. I offload most of my dynamic and eq processing duties to this.

so you mean a word clock cable between the two units- not a third external clock unit right?

have to look into the liquid mix32- sounds awesome
maybe i'll get one

i've never had a problem synching my 003 with any of the two adat units i had- but ive read of a lot of trouble with that BUT it just boils down to the sample rates not matching-

have to do some homework on it... i already have the octpre- saffire comes in friday with some new mics

so you mean a word clock cable between the two units- not a third external clock unit right?

have to look into the liquid mix32- sounds awesome
maybe i'll get one

i've never had a problem synching my 003 with any of the two adat units i had- but ive read of a lot of trouble with that BUT it just boils down to the sample rates not matching-

have to do some homework on it... i already have the octpre- saffire comes in friday with some new mics

Yeah, it's just an extra cable. You don't need an external clock source as the Saffire will act as the master.

With the 003, the only problem I've encountered is the clock source not being switched to optical in ProTools.

Back
Top Bottom