New Recording Computer

Jeries

Power User
I thought I'd share with all of you the new recording PC I am building -All the parts are shipped on and the way to me from various places....

Basically- I've used a 003 for a while, and scored a great deal on a 003+ (also have another 8 channels w/Presonus Digimax LT Lightpipe)

I realized that there is no future for my 003 after protools 10 (currently use 8)

(Anything Digidesign and even HD systems that were still for sale only a few months ago will no longer be supported by future versions of protools- and RTAS is gone- so if you blew $10k on waves rtas plugins- wont work with PT11+)

SO anyway I thought it was a good opportunity to get a new PC because I can use Windows 7 and 64 Bit OS (when I build THIS computer PT only supported 32bit so 4gb of ram was max)

So here's what I got coming:
Intel i7 3770k Processor (300-400 in stores- Microcenter has in store only special for 229- sent my cousin in NY to get it for me)
Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Mobo
32GB of DD3 1600 Ram

NOW the fun stuff:
2- 256gb Samsung 840 PRO hard drives (one for OS and one for samples/instruments/library stuff)
2- 1 TB WD drives

I think I'm set with this for a while until I have a tens of thousands budget on my future recording gear/interfaces

I might buy an Eleven Rack just to get a free copy of PT10 with it (and sell the hardware)

I called Sweetwater- they actually recommend to people calling to buy protools10 "hey just buy this thing"

any thoughts/ideas/comments?
all are welcome except ones related to me getting an APPLE product

Be careful with Asrock MBs... i wouldnt recommend them, had a lot of troubles in the past with some of them..

Jeries

Sounds good. I'm running PT10 with HD3 at the studio on a dual xeon W7 machine. (Yeah yeah, I'm doomed when PT11 comes out, but I've had the HD since PT7).

Note that there are two versions of PT10 the regular and the HD version. (You can turn regular into HD by buying the Complete Production Toolkit or CPTK). The CPTK is studpidly expensive but has some cool (if overpriced) features like RAM cache recording.

At home I built an i7 machine on an Asus MB, 32GB RAM. Home is where I do all my composing (and it's where the Axe is 90% of the time). I switched to Cubase at home and I love it. I'm seriously thinking about switching the commercial studio to Cubase when PT11 arrives and all my HD stuff is obselete.

Honestly- If I'm contemplating just staying with PT8 (because it will support win7 and 64bit os)

I feel although it's a pain in the ass- it was designed for only my hardware.

I also did a ton of research even contemplated ditching the 003+ for something else- although I wouldn't be supprised if HD systems are going to start selling used for nothing pretty soon- idk

(Things are already tanking anway-- I paid $450 for my 003 used it for 3-4 yrs, sold it for $450- bought a 003 from a pawn shop with no software for $300)

Back
Top Bottom