New RCF NX12s—My personal monitor shootout

krcassid

Inspired
My new RCF NX12s arrived today. I was super excited! I have multiple FRFR options but, having heard great things about these, and being too impatient to wait for Atomic’s Coax speakers, I decided to go for the RCFs. Mike Pyle did a great job for me and got them shipped very promptly and at a great price.I’ve spent most of the day A/Bing them with my other FRFR setups. I thought I would share my observations since I would like to have seen this prior to ordering the RCFs w/o hearing them.

I 1[SUP]st[/SUP] need to state the obvious: monitors are a personal & subjective thing. These are my personal observations and I know they will fly in the face of some other things I’ve heard on this forum. My goal here is largely to compare 4 pretty commonly used monitor setups I have in my studio. I tried to keep it fair. I used stock Axe II patches (both clean and distorted) so as not to unfairly compare presets that were created for one set of monitors by using them on a different set. I used both SCs (Suhrs) and HBs (LPs). Here are the monitors I use and a few thoughts as to how they compare:

Mackie SRM 450s (old RCF versions): I have really liked these monitors. I was lucky enough to get a number of them shortly after Mackie bought RCF. They are not super flat but they are very “present” and cut through the mix very well. I sense they are a little brighter than flat. But, they have been my go-to for live. They are very loud. As far as a monitor to mix with or to judge how your Axe will sound recorded, I would not recommend them. But, live, they are great. However, they do not work very well for my acoustic guitars (which I run through the Axe)

JBL LSR 6332 powered by a Bryston 4B SST: I have 2 pairs of these, 1 mid and one far field. I love them in the studio but they obviously aren’t useful live. I would say they are the flattest and best sounding monitors I have, particularly for acoustic guitars. The Con: they are not very loud. I could push them with the Brystons but I fear I’ll blow them up (I’ve replaced 2 tweeters already). I can’t really rock them and they don’t move much air. But, if I’m doing low volume stuff (I don’t much) or mixing, I go to them every time.

Mackie HR 824s: I use these nearfield but tend toward the JBLs above. They are brighter and have less bass than the JBLs but their sound is decent. I don’t really use them for the Axe much as they don’t move enough air. But, they do a good job with the Axe for small monitors.

RCF NX 12s: As you might expect, since I like the RCF SRMs, I figured these would be awesome. I hate to say: I am underwhelmed. They are very flat. But, they are not present in the way that the SRM 450s (or even the JBLs) are. They seem to be a bit muffled and do not cut through the mix nearly as well as the Mackies for live use. Even more surprising, they are about ½ as loud as the SRMs I don’t understand this at all. The SRMs have 300/ 150 watts low/ hi. The RCFs have 500/ 200. But, the NX12’s output pales compared to the SRM 450s. They lack “bite” and "punch"(I know, kind of unscientific terms). They seem to lack some of the high end & presence I get from the SRMs and the HR 824s. I think that high end may be hyped in those 2 speakers so this may not be good if you are after true FRFR. But, they are definitely missing some cut & punch. They do sound very accurate, not unlike the JBLs, but you can get them pretty darn loud without concern for blowing them up. I would say they could be close to as accurate as the JBLs but they don’t do it for me live. They do have excellent and detailed bass. But, my feeling is that they have a seem to sound like they have a blanket over them. Their form factor is excellent. The small, lightweight wedges are a huge improvement over the SRMs

I will likely keep the NX12s. The best of all worlds is using the SRM 450s and the NX12s together. I think the NX12s give balance to the SRMs (although I have to turn them full up with the SRMs at 1/2 to compete). I really don’t understand why they seem so much quieter than the old RCF/ Mackie’s. My only thought is that they may be cleaner (and hence seem less loud). I am essentially comparing 2 very similar RCF speakers built nearly 20 years apart. I can’t say that the $2300 I paid for the new RCFs is justified.

If I couldn’t afford to keep both, I’d keep the SRM 450s (I know, you’ll all think I’m nuts!)

Just one guys opinion...

Interesting, my experience comparing the NX 12s and the SRM 450s are exactly the opposite ;) But what do you mean with 'cut through in the mix?' You don't mike the full range speakers, do you? Or do you use your monitors as the primary sound source for your guitar?

Interesting, my experience comparing the NX 12s and the SRM 450s are exactly the opposite ;) But what do you mean with 'cut through in the mix?' You don't mike the full range speakers, do you? Or do you use your monitors as the primary sound source for your guitar?
I use my 450s as my primary sound source in smaller venues and use FOH too where necessary. But, I'm talking about how I percieve the sound in the mix. I haven't even tried them live--just playing with projects I'm working on in the studio with tracks coming through the JBL monitors and me playing with the NXs. It is hard to explain. I want to use words like "cut & punch" to describe what I'm missing. Now, I do need to say that the NXs sound really good. They just dont seem to have that "in your face" feel I'm looking for (even on cleans). Interestingly, I just dialed up a Fender factory preset and bumped up the bright cap by 15% and that made a huge difference. It may be that I am just used to the 450s (which I percieve as brighter). It's obvious I can make the NXs brighter. It may just be that I have to go back and tweak my presets for the NXs. But, I was trying to do an "out of the box" comparison. Maybe, once I create some presets specifically for the NXs, they'll blow me away. I hope so! And, if they are more accurate, my sound will be better through FOH. I'd be happy with that.

They are good speakers. I just can't say that they are $1500 better than the old 450s (yet!)

Please take this as my "out of the box" assessment. I'll come back when I've had a chance to tweak presets for the NXs.

Another excellent review for all of the rest of us who are playing the "waiting game" before making a decision.
Many of us do not have the resources to A/B/C different FRFR solutions. I appreciate all you guys who have taken valuable time to test, video, and post results in the forum. THANK YOU ALL!

These are the NX 12-SMA, correct? I'm familiar with the Mackies you have (both the studio monitors and the powered PA speakers). IMHO!!! they are hyped; especially on the top end. I chose the 624 over the 824 because I felt the bottom and top of the bigger studio monitor was excessive IMHO.

I'd suggest using them with a band at volume over a 3 or 4 set night. I know your ears won't be torn to shreds as the Mackies do (and they do tear your ears to pieces), and I'd bet you'll have better overall experience. I'd also bet your tones will communicate better across a range of systems. Just a hunch.

What you are hearing right now is your presets dialed in for the hyped up speakers you are used to, making them sound dull on the RCF; dial up those presets using the RCF NX and I'd guess you'll have them sounding unbearably bright on the other speakers. Check full range music through both at the same time, switching between them and you'll hear it.

I'll check back on your thoughts after a week or two; I'll bet it's 180 degrees from where you are today.

Last edited:
These are the NX 12-SMA, correct? I'm familiar with the Mackies you have (both the studio monitors and the powered PA speakers). IMHO!!! they are hyped; especially on the top end. I chose the 624 over the 824 because I felt the bottom and top of the bigger studio monitor was excessive IMHO.

I'd suggest using them with a band at volume over a 3 or 4 set night. I know your ears won't be torn to shreds as the Mackies do (and they do tear your ears to pieces), and I'd bet you'll have better overall experience. I'd also bet your tones will communicate better across a range of systems. Just a hunch.

What you are hearing right now is your presets dialed in for the hyped up speakers you are used to, making them sound dull on the RCF; dial up those presets using the RCF NX and I'd guess you'll have them sounding unbearably bright on the other speakers. Check full range music through both at the same time, switching between them and you'll hear it.

I'll check back on your thoughts after a week or two; I'll bet it's 180 degrees from where you are today.

Thx Scott: As I noted, I suspect you are right about the Mackies being hyped in the high end. I also think it may have something to do with their form factor That horn on top is often aimed straight at my head and they are more directional than the NX 12 SMAs (that is what I got). I was careful to use factory presets so the presets were not created using the 450s. But, I have been using the Mackies almost exclusively live for 3 years so I am very accustomed to that sound. And, they are bright!

I'm going to spend a couple weeks tweaking my favorite presets for the NX12 SMAs. As I mentioned above, just changing the bright cap value on one made a world of difference. This may just be a case of "the devil I know" being more comfortable. I will definately repost as I had great hopes for the new RCFs.

Don't those monitors have to break in a bit?
Good question. I'm not sure. Anybody have any experience with this?

I would liker to make one comment re: earlier discussion of the Mackies being hyped. My most demanding comparison was between the JBL/ Brystons and the new RCFs. There is definately high end and clarity missing from the RCFs vs the JBLs. So, I don't think this is just "Mackie hype". If I could can the JBLs sound in a portable solution and get them loud enough (without blowing drivers), they would be the best solution by far. They are definately superior to the RCFs. But, is it fair to compare the RCFs to a $3K set of 3 way speakers powered by a $3K amp?

Still, I don't have to EQ anything to get good sound through the JBLs. The RCFs will definately take some tweaking. I kinda figured that, for $2300, I'd get something that would work great out of the box. Again, I want to emphasize "great". They are "good". They may become "great" after break in or tweaking. But, I've never had to tweak any of my other monitors with the Axe.

The position of the gain knobs is not an indicator of the comparitive loudness of the speakers, only an indicator of the input sensitivity. The Mackie gain is more sensitive, as it has to cover a range of inputs from line level to microphone level. The NX12SMA has a switch that changes the input sensitivity between line & mic level, then the knob is used for adjustment within that range. If you need more output from the NX12SMA, you will need to increase the output from your AXE. Ultimately, the spl level of the RCF should exceed the level of the Mackie at the point the amp limits.

The SRM450 has very wide horizontal dispersion, while the NX12SMA is a nominal 60 degree conical pattern. It would be easier with the RCF to move off axis and start to lose some high frequency sound.

The position of the gain knobs is not an indicator of the comparitive loudness of the speakers, only an indicator of the input sensitivity. The Mackie gain is more sensitive, as it has to cover a range of inputs from line level to microphone level. The NX12SMA has a switch that changes the input sensitivity between line & mic level, then the knob is used for adjustment within that range. If you need more output from the NX12SMA, you will need to increase the output from your AXE. Ultimately, the spl level of the RCF should exceed the level of the Mackie at the point the amp limits.

The SRM450 has very wide horizontal dispersion, while the NX12SMA is a nominal 60 degree conical pattern. It would be easier with the RCF to move off axis and start to lose some high frequency sound.

This may answer the output question. So, to invert your statement, as I turn up the output from the Axe, the NXs should add more than 1:1 output Vs the Mackies? Right now, I've got the Axe output at 50%, the Mackies at 50% and the NXs at almost 100% and the Mackies are still louder.

Re: dispersion, I've got them both right in front of me, 15' away so I don't think dispersion is the issue. However, as noted earlier, the form factor of the Mackies has that horn on top which is aimed darn close to my face. Presumably, given the coax edesign, the NXs should be a little more "even" in this regard, right?

This may answer the output question. So, to invert your statement, as I turn up the output from the Axe, the NXs should add more than 1:1 output Vs the Mackies? Right now, I've got the Axe output at 50%, the Mackies at 50% and the NXs at almost 100% and the Mackies are still louder.

Re: dispersion, I've got them both right in front of me, 15' away so I don't think dispersion is the issue. However, as noted earlier, the form factor of the Mackies has that horn on top which is aimed darn close to my face. Presumably, given the coax edesign, the NXs should be a little more "even" in this regard, right?

What's the sensitivity button at on your RCF, in or out?

Last edited:
So, to invert your statement, as I turn up the output from the Axe, the NXs should add more than 1:1 output Vs the Mackies?

No, the Mackie will continue to be louder unless you turn the gain knob down, because it has higher input sensitivity. If you turn it down and the RCF up so that they match, then increase the level from the AXE, they should both get louder until one of them limits. At that point you can tell which one is capable of getting loudest. Not that you are likely to ever reach that level in normal use, but it would answer your question.

What's the sensitivity button at on your RCF, in or out?

If the Mackies are louder, something is wrong.
NX 12 Sensitivity is set on line (where it should be) and the Mackies are WAY louder. I was shocked at how quiet the NXs are. I first set them to 2 or 3 on the volume dials figuring that, at 700 watts, they'd be crushing my ears. They were so quiet that I could barely tell they were on. I had to turn them all the way up to get them to equal the Mackies at 50% of their volume setting. Mike's comment on sensitivity makes sense but I never knew the Mackies were that sensitive.

However, let me be clear: the NXs still get VERY loud. I just have to turn up my Axe a lot more than on the Mackies.

The Sensitivty in the Macke manual reads +4 dBu at center detent (almost exactly where I have them) to -36dBu at max. The RCF specs (per their website) are +4 (I'm assuming this is at line level setting, it doesn't say).

If this is true, both speakers are set at +4. There is no comparison in volume. The NXs are considerbly quieter (I'm tempted to say 1/2 the output but know ears are a poor judge and I don't have a meter)

This poses another troubling issue: noise floor. The Mackies are dead quiet at 50% (4 dB). To get the NXs that loud, I have to turn them all the way up and I can definately hear the noise.

NX 12 Sensitivity is set on line (where it should be) and the Mackies are WAY louder. I was shocked at how quiet the NXs are. I first set them to 2 or 3 on the volume dials figuring that, at 700 watts, they'd be crushing my ears. They were so quiet that I could barely tell they were on. I had to turn them all the way up to get them to equal the Mackies at 50% of their volume setting. Mike's comment on sensitivity makes sense but I never knew the Mackies were that sensitive.

However, let me be clear: the NXs still get VERY loud. I just have to turn up my Axe a lot more than on the Mackies.

The Sensitivty in the Macke manual reads +4 dBu at center detent (almost exactly where I have them) to -36dBu at max. The RCF specs (per their website) are +4 (I'm assuming this is at line level setting, it doesn't say).

If this is true, both speakers are set at +4. There is no comparison in volume. The NXs are considerbly quieter (I'm tempted to say 1/2 the output but know ears are a poor judge and I don't have a meter)

This poses another troubling issue: noise floor. The Mackies are dead quiet at 50% (4 dB). To get the NXs that loud, I have to turn them all the way up and I can definately hear the noise.

Trust me and change the setting. Don't worry if it is 'wrong'. Everything you are posting will be cleared up.

Trust me.

Really? ,hmmmmm.

I have noticed that I have to put the vol at Max on the RCF to equal my DSR at high noon.

I'm thinking something is wrong with your RCF's if that is your issue. Honestly. I could not imagine turning mine up to full volume and halfway up on my Axe-FX II... oh, my God, it'd be insanely loud, like kill old ladies and small animals loud. And my presets are not cranked up in the Axe-FX either.

Something is amiss... I can have my Axe-FX at noon on the output knob, and at 3/4 the way up... I'm easily hitting +130db on peaks. You can't get louder with out pain. A LOT of pain.

Back
Top Bottom