New Rack Help Axe FX 2

jsessions92

Inspired
Hello, I hope this is the right place for this, I'm not 100% sure I apologize if it is not. Anyone I have never had a rack before and I need some help figuring out what to get. I am getting an Axe FX 2 in the mail shortly. So far I know I want it to consist of my Axe FX 2, some sort of wireless system(probably line 6 g90), a power conditioner(I don't know anything about these, or if I even need one. Help would be appreciated), and I would also like to leave room for a power amp in case I ever get one in the future. I'm not sure how big of a rack to get or which ones are good. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks a lot. :)

It really depends how big the other stuff is. We already know the axe 2 is 2u space and the g90 is 1, power conditioners vary from 1-2 and power amps are 2u in general I Think. 8 rack space seems pretty good.

It really depends how big the other stuff is. We already know the axe 2 is 2u space and the g90 is 1, power conditioners vary from 1-2 and power amps are 2u in general I Think. 8 rack space seems pretty good.

So if I want to be safe then I should go with 8u it sounds like? Also any recommendations of brands for rack cases or power amps? Thanks for the reply!

As for power conditioners, I'm not too sure. Hopefully someone will chime in for this one for a good power conditioner or strip of some sort and explain why its good.

So if I want to be safe then I should go with 8u it sounds like? Also any recommendations of brands for rack cases or power amps? Thanks for the reply!

for rack cases there's gator and skb. As for power amps, i really can't say but there's pretty good threads on them and their differences. It usually comes down to solid state or tube power amps.

for rack cases there's gator and skb. As for power amps, i really can't say but there's pretty good threads on them and their differences. It usually comes down to solid state or tube power amps.

Sorry I actually meant power conditioner in that post. Yeah figuring out what power amp to get is going to be a whole deal in it's self. For now I'm going to use the power section of my 6505+. I might end up selling it to pay for some of this stuff though considering the Axe made quite a dent in my wallet ;)

for power amps there's the vht 2-50-2 or 2-90-2, rockotron velocity 300, matrix 800fx, sla art 2, the list goes on.

Sorry I actually meant power conditioner in that post. Yeah figuring out what power amp to get is going to be a whole deal in it's self. For now I'm going to use the power section of my 6505+. I might end up selling it to pay for some of this stuff though considering the Axe made quite a dent in my wallet ;)

Oh Hahahaha. Well furman makes good stuff if you're looking at brands. Seems like people dig those. No kidding on the wallet dent. I had to use my tax return money to buy my standard so I know that feeling :lol

I use a rack bag, it is much easier to carry around and keeps it quite safe, unless you are stacking gear on it I have found that roadcases are extremely cumbersome, but that is just my opinion. Gator GRB-3U (3 Rack Spaces) | Sweetwater.com

Power conditioners are great, but there is no real magic to them, they may have a little bit better filtering in them (rf/EMI), but they are basically like a rackmount version of a home power strip. I have owned alot of them and never could tell a difference from cheapest to most expensive, it would probably just depend on whether you wanted LED lights on front, no lights, incandescent lights, flourescent lights, voltage meter, etc...basically just pretty lights. The more expensive ones do tend to have better design on the included lights though, some cheaper ones break easily.

Furman M-8Lx (15A w/Lights) | Sweetwater.com

The G90 is cool gear, just remember that you will not be able to take advantege of the impedence switching the axe2 offers, you have to be plugged directly into the front of it in order to have the interaction between your pickups and the variable impedence option. This can really affect the tone of the fuzz pedals...if you are concerned about that particular thing.

Just my .02! hope you enjoy the Axe2!!!!!!!!

I use a rack bag, it is much easier to carry around and keeps it quite safe, unless you are stacking gear on it I have found that roadcases are extremely cumbersome, but that is just my opinion. Gator GRB-3U (3 Rack Spaces) | Sweetwater.com

Power conditioners are great, but there is no real magic to them, they may have a little bit better filtering in them (rf/EMI), but they are basically like a rackmount version of a home power strip. I have owned alot of them and never could tell a difference from cheapest to most expensive, it would probably just depend on whether you wanted LED lights on front, no lights, incandescent lights, flourescent lights, voltage meter, etc...basically just pretty lights. The more expensive ones do tend to have better design on the included lights though, some cheaper ones break easily.

Furman M-8Lx (15A w/Lights) | Sweetwater.com

The G90 is cool gear, just remember that you will not be able to take advantege of the impedence switching the axe2 offers, you have to be plugged directly into the front of it in order to have the interaction between your pickups and the variable impedence option. This can really affect the tone of the fuzz pedals...if you are concerned about that particular thing.

Just my .02! hope you enjoy the Axe2!!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot for the help. I'm probably going to go with a relitivily cheap furman that has some lights on it. I don't need something super fancy, just something that gets the job done. Found this rack case Amazon.com: Gator Cases Pro Series Rotationally Molded Rack Case (8 Space): Musical Instruments seems to be what I'm looking for and is in my price range. Any input?

Is this for studio or gigging? If gigging, I would highly recommend a separate rack bag for conditioner/wireless/Axe and another for power amp. I use the Gator bags. If you end up with a tube power amp, they can be quite heavy! An 8 space rack with a heavy tube power amp would be a nightmare to lug around without roadie help!

I was using the two rack bag method with a Marshall 4X12 cab. I then decided to go FRFR and sold my power amp with dedicated rack bag, and then I didn't have to worry about having a bunch of extra space in my rack and buying another smaller rack to replace it, I was already good to go. Now, with one 4u rack bag, an MFC-101, a powered QSC KW122 (that I sit on an easy-to-carry stand), and a few guitars, my gigging effort is much easier!

It's kind of funny, even though I've gone FRFR, I still can't completely get away from my power tube ego. Being a traditional Marshall guy, I bought a Marshall logo speakerplate and installed it on my QSC. For a while I was setting the "Marshall" QSC monitor on top of my 4X12 cabinet, but was essentially just using it as a "stand" for my QSC. The average joe thought I was still playing through a Marshall stack and I still "felt cool". I've since said the he!! with it, and have gone lightweight - no more cab just for looks. :) I still have the Marshall logo on my QSC though!!! (and I at least use the Marsha sims on some of my main gigging presets).

It is for gigging. That is an interesting suggestion. I haven't decided if I want to go tube or SS yet for the power amp. That is a good suggestion though, I can imagine an 8u rack with all of that in it would be extraordinarily heavy.

edit: oh and by the way, does a rack "case" also function as a rack? I ask because the one I posted says rack case. What I mean is, it isnt just a case to keep a rack in right? Can I actually mount everything in it?

Last edited:
Here's my take:

Axe-FX — 2U;

Power Conditioner — 1U;
Wireless — 1U;
Power amp — rarely taller than 2U.​

Total — 6U.​
You could go with an 8U rack case (rack case = rack with a skin), but over time, you'll regret any extra bulk that you don't use.

A power conditioner is a good idea for two reasons: it provides some protection from power surges, and it provides a single, solid place to plug all your equipment into (Axe, power amp, wireless, MIDI controller, powered speakers if you go that way...it adds up).

Rex has a point in the rack spacing and if that's the case, go with the 6u he said unless you're gonna add some extra things like a sonic maximizer or a specific rack effect you can't dial on the axe.

@jsessions92

in the interest of full disclosure, I will tell you that I am the Product Manager at SKB, so obviously I will be telling you about what sets us apart from the competition: from what I've read in this thread, there have been a lot of good points made about things to consider, so let me include a few more. the idea to go with a Roto Molded case is very good and the point was made about "lugging" your rack around. you might want to consider this: 6U Roto Rolling Rack by SKB Cases or for touring the shockmount version:
20" Deep 6U Rolling Roto Shock Rack by SKB Cases. if you don't need wheels and a handle, we have those versions as well: 6U Ultimate Strength Series Roto-Rack by SKB Cases and 6U Roto Shockmount Rack Case - 20" Deep by SKB Cases respectively. Dweezil uses our shockmount cases to tour with if that helps. The Steve Vai ad that someone posted about has his Fractal racked in one of our cases. unlike cases made from wood (EWI, Anvil, etc.), our cases have a lifetime warranty. in fact, all SKB hard plastic molded cases have a lifetime warranty. also, all the cases I've mentioned here have front AND rear rails. Gator gives you a mail in certificate to order the rear rails, but you have to pay shipping. rear rails come in handy for mounting rear patch panels, which keep things neat and organized and make setup and tear down not only quick and easy, but reliable too! there are a lot of cases out there to choose from so do your homework. you spent a lot of money on your Fractal, don't put it at risk by putting it in a cheap case. I realize my opinion is biased, but I was using SKB long before I was ever hired to work there. Also, people that know me (or take the time to get to know me), know that my M/O has always been to help people. I always have and always will. I hope this helps... Thanks! Steph

I like the rack bag solution. Part of why I love the Axe is that it's super easy to move and deal with. I can do a rack bag, backpack (LF Jr and cables/strip), guitar and powered monitor (RCF 310A) in one trip. If it's a bigger deal, add another guitar or 2 and another RCF. I have a 2 rack space and 4 rack space bag which gives me a lot of mix and match flexibility. 8 spaces is big to me, but for some people that would be downsizing.

I choose the Gator GR-6S (very lightweight and "short") ... I put inside

1U) Furman
1U) Motu 828 MKIII
1U) Line6 G90
2U) Axe Fx Ultra
1U) Rocktron Velocity 300

gator-GR-6S_OPEN.jpg

the result is not so heavy ... is not so light ... a good solution for me ! ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom