new quieter fan

Having just done an outdoor gig, where the temperature at soundcheck was 43 degrees Celcius (about 109 F), I will happily put up with a bit of fan noise at home if the fan helps keep the heat down!

That obviously wasn't in Melbourne ? ;)

Nannup - Southern WA. Inland from Margaret River.

I was getting a bit worried about the Ultra in the heat but it didn't have any probs. It was so hot that my guitar strings were radiating heat off in waves you could feel clearly.

I love the fact that my axe-fx II will ship with a more quiet fan, that is just superp. What feels a bit strange to me is that Fractal Audio and G66 have different fans in their products.

It's a quiestion of professionality. Is G66 "ahead" with their new fan, or are they provoking their headquarter with experimental voodoo fan-replacement?

It's just a bit bad-avocado tasting with a company being "split" by doing different actions, US and EU. Makes one of them seem more "vip" than the other.

Ah, come on. you get my point I'm not saying one is more vip. Of course I'm exaggerateing. They should sync up, as long as I get my new quiet fan :D

We should all have this new quiet fan, if it lasts like the other and the only difference is less noise. This is not meant as an offence. Happy thoughts :roll

I got my axe-fx II yesterday, it shipped with a new fan. Its really silent to me.. I didn't even remember to check the fan noise until this morning.

g66 told me that the new fan is approved by fractal

And there is the answer, thank you Brick_top :)

Edit: if it's approved by Fractal, should not Fractal... start using them also? :p

From what I understand, G66 found a satisfying solution to the noise problem just a few days ago. Here's my posting in the "EU Axe FX II - Thread":

Sussy and Jacques give slightly different feedback regarding the fan replacement. Here is the original info I received from Jaques on January 30th:

"...Zum viel (und zu Recht) kritisierten lauten Lüfter: Nach einem langen Hin- und Her und Tests mit Lüfter-Prototypen extra für uns gemacht (die aber alle zu laut waren), haben wir erst vor wenigen Tagen eine Lösung gefunden, die erstaunlich leise ist und allen unseren extremem Test-Temperaturmessungen souverän standgehalten hat. Einen solchen Flüsterlüfter bauen wir Dir ins Gerät..."

In english, that is something like:
Regarding the much criticized fan: After a lot of bitching with prototype fans that have been custom made for us (all of them being too loud), we found a solution just a few days ago: It is surprisingly silent and meets all our requirements even under extreme heat conditions. We will replace the original fan by such a "whisper" fan".

Approved is not the same as preferred.

Maybe the approved version is good enough to make it through the warranty period, but the fear is later in the life cycle the quieter fans will become a potential problem?

By shipping with the preferred fan and the dealer replacing it, a buffer is established to guard FAS reputation in the years to come. The built in "I told you so" defense would then kick in.

Manufacturers are forced to bend to dealers demands often. In big box transactions it's always about getting down to a price point. Although Kenmore appliances tend to be better than their manufacturers own brand Whirlpool.

I'm positive if a better quieter fan existed FAS would use it to make this tangent issue go away.

From what I understand, G66 found a satisfying solution to the noise problem just a few days ago. Here's my posting in the "EU Axe FX II - Thread":

Sussy and Jacques give slightly different feedback regarding the fan replacement. Here is the original info I received from Jaques on January 30th:

"...Zum viel (und zu Recht) kritisierten lauten Lüfter: Nach einem langen Hin- und Her und Tests mit Lüfter-Prototypen extra für uns gemacht (die aber alle zu laut waren), haben wir erst vor wenigen Tagen eine Lösung gefunden, die erstaunlich leise ist und allen unseren extremem Test-Temperaturmessungen souverän standgehalten hat. Einen solchen Flüsterlüfter bauen wir Dir ins Gerät..."

In english, that is something like:
Regarding the much criticized fan: After a lot of bitching with prototype fans that have been custom made for us (all of them being too loud), we found a solution just a few days ago: It is surprisingly silent and meets all our requirements even under extreme heat conditions. We will replace the original fan by such a "whisper" fan".

So what is this magic solution, Snoop. Did you find out?

I think they are waiting approval from FAS. (its not the noise blocker XR2 fan anymore)

It's not? That's the fan they sent me last week. I got my II on jan. 5th, so it came with the original loud fan.

FWIW, changing the fan to the noiseblocker XR2 takes much more time (and is a bit PITA) than exchanging the fan on the Std. or Ultra.
This might be a reason why G66 did not change them themselves on every unit they sell and leave it to those who complain.
I don't know how many units they ship per month, but the at least 30 min it takes to change the fan would surely add up. They're no big business either (just like FAS).

BTW, changing the fan made me enjoy the II much more. For gigs/rehearsals it's a non issue, but for recording and patch creating at home the fan noise was rubbing
on my nerves and my patience.

It's not? That's the fan they sent me last week. I got my II on jan. 5th, so it came with the original loud fan.

FWIW, changing the fan to the noiseblocker XR2 takes much more time (and is a bit PITA) than exchanging the fan on the Std. or Ultra.
This might be a reason why G66 did not change them themselves on every unit they sell and leave it to those who complain.
I don't know how many units they ship per month, but the at least 30 min it takes to change the fan would surely add up. They're no big business either (just like FAS).

BTW, changing the fan made me enjoy the II much more. For gigs/rehearsals it's a non issue, but for recording and patch creating at home the fan noise was rubbing
on my nerves and my patience.
I'm almost positive that this is why they changed. I bought one of the noiseblockers and didn't realize that it was about 5mm deeper and as you said it's just a matter of it being a huge PITA to get on there because of it. I put it in a bit differently and it's absolutely great compared to the noise from the stock one.

Back
Top Bottom