new quieter fan

Zonk

What's up with this stuff I'm hearing about a new quieter fan. Is it only g66 that's doing this, or will Fractal be shipping them with a quieter fan now?

+1, from what I've read at least it looks like g66 will be shipping with a new more quiet fan. I'm not sure though.

G66 checks all units before sending them out:
We test every single device thoroughly in all its functions before we send it off to a customer. On the Axe-Fx and Ultra we also replace the original fan with one that is almost completely silent and install the latest firmware.

Can anyone confirm that FAS isn't switching to a quieter fan themselves? I was really hoping they were, since I haven't come up on the wait list yet, and I'd really like to have a quieter fan when I get mine.

FAS installs the fan it feels best cools the unit and is reliable, FULLY REALIZING it is not the quietest option. G66 chooses to change out the fans on the units they ship, but I believe they do so at their own risk.

Your US shipped unit will come with the FAS fan, including its noise issues, get use to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like your attitude. This isn't a fan rant thread. I was just looking for answers. If they keep the noisy fan, I'm okay with it. It should be a pretty easy mod, but I didn't want to have to void my warranty if I can't stand the noise.

Cliff has responded many times why he chooses the current fan, CFM. Obviously if a quieter option at the same CFM existed, he would use it.

I don't think you realized what I was actually asking. I knew all of the stuff you mentioned already, except that they will continue to use the same fan. I was only asking because some of the things people have been saying made me think FAS was changing the fans. So, I was unsure.

Well it's only been a few days since the last fan rant thread, will it ever end?

FAS installs the fan it feels best cools the unit and is reliable, FULLY REALIZING it is not the quietest option. G66 chooses to change out the fans on the units they ship, but I believe they do so at their own risk.

Your US shipped unit will come with the FAS fan, including its noise issues, get use to it.

So, the European distributor is modifying the unit in a way not recommended by Fractal and at their own risk?
If it didn't provide enough cooling I strongly doubt they would have put it in there.

I have no problem understanding why people rant if fans make as much noise at it seems some of them do. I would have no interest in "getting used to it" myself, and since some are ok and some squeels like pigs there obviously is room for improvement.

Could also be that they bless us northern people with less hardcore fans since it never gets hot up here anyway 8)

Last edited:
So, the European distributor is modifying the unit in a way not recommended by Fractal and at their own risk?
If it didn't provide enough cooling I strongly doubt they would have put it in there.

There is a difference on opinion on whether the G66 fan is sufficient from my readings here. G66 says its good enough, but no units ship with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not in Europe so it doesn't affect me, but the statement from G66 doesn't specifically mention the Axe-FX II - it could be they only upgraded the Standard and Ultra.

My understanding is the G66 changed to quiter fans on the Std/Ultra models, but does not do so on the Axe Fx II. If a customer complains they may send out a quieter fan at no cost. Either way, G66 bears the warranty costs.

Cliff has stated that the "quiet" fans use inferior bearings which are likely to fail prematurely, and that they routinely do not match the stated CFM specs.

The fan...

Hi!
This is the fan they shipped to me with instructions on how to mount the new fan.
I don´t speak German but i could understand how to mount the new one anyway, tried Google translate, that was funny...
The new fan made a big difference in the noise-level from the Axe Fx II.
Stefan

Attachments

• Noiseblocker XR-2 small.jpg
    Noiseblocker XR-2 small.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 75
  • AUSTAUSCH LÜFTER.jpg
    AUSTAUSCH LÜFTER.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Thanks, Steven. I'm still quite curious though why G66 would install or send these fans with the Axe II, even though FAS has never approved them that I know of.

Neither do i, when i got my Ultra in 2009 the quieter fan was already installed, don´t know the story about that change, but i have no worries with this new fan, my impression are that they know what they are doing at G66.
I can sleep good at night even after the change ;) when i manage to stop playing with this amazing unit ;)

Back
Top Bottom