NEW QUANTUM ECONOMY PRESETS

sprint

Axe-Master
NEW QUANTUM 1b ECONOMY PRESETS

For those interested in some AxeIImk1,2 presets that maximize fx blocks and minimize cpu usage I've just posted some on AxeChange (Economy Boogie, Economy Vox, Economy Marshall, Economy Dumble, Economy Fender, Economy Herbert, Economy Orange).

The only real difference between all of these is the Amp, Drive, and Cab blocks - the rest of the blocks are the same accross all these presets. The clean amp scenes are also the same across all presets (I plan to start maintaining a separate "appropriate" clean amp for each of these presets soon but right now they all user Shiver Cln.)

CPU usage on these presets all start around 83%/84% (I leave around 8% of cpu "headroom" on my presets to allow for the preset to expand it's cpu usage as it is exercised in terms of modifier use, x/y use etc). The presets are built with cpu economy in mind - if you can't live without hi-rez cabs with hq preamp, or you can't live with spring reverb then these are probably not for you.

The presets are fairly well balanced and set up to hit (on average) around the vertical line 2/3s of the way across the Axe's VU meters (plenty of volume to send to my outboard gear with output knobs at noon but leaving enough headroom to avoid Axefx clipping).

All patches are tested with a Gibson SG standard at full guitar volume with INSTR Input set to 75% allowing the SG to tickle red on the input meter with hard strums on the low strings.

The patches are Quantum release though the AxeChange says 19 since Quantum is not a selectable release name there yet.

Global EQ is flat. Tones tweaked at room level so probably not good as gigging level patches.

These patches will work in default format without any controller, but, to operate the on/off, x/y, and expression, I'm using an MFC, 4 Boss FV-500H expression pedals, and a Line6 POD HD500 for additional I/A switches and one additional expression pedal. My MFC is set up with BANKSIZE = 0 (the POD does my patch switching / I have my patches organized in the "A,B,C,D" format to fit the POD's patch organization design). I have 4 scene buttons set up on the MFC's bottom row.

Here's the lowdown on how to operate these presets:

LAYOUT: A simple continuous chain (using the send / return blocks to continue from line 1 onto to 4). After years of using a lot of parallel blocks I recently changed back to sequential blocks (I used to think that parallel blocks made it easier to "protect" my base tone by having an "unobstructed" base tone path, however, I think that, once you have a a good feel for bypass modes, and for the mix controls in fx blocks, sequential is the better way to go). Everything up to the front of the volume block is LEFT channel only. Volume block output to end of chain is stereo.

SCENES:
1=Rhythm,
2=Lead,
3=Clean w no fx,
4=Clean w fx.

AMP/DRIVE/CAB BLOCKS:
- Amp 1x/Cab 1x is used in scene 1,2.
- Amp 2x/Cab 1y is used in scene 3,4.
- Drive 1x is used in scene 1,2
- Drive 1y is used in scene 3,4 to add crunch to the clean tone.
- Scene 2 and 4 are boosted by 1db at the output block.
- Amp1's Boost switch is controlled by modifier 5 with an MFC IA switch attached. The value resets to off on patch change (or if no pedal present).
- Amp2's Saturation switch is controlled by modifier 5 also (I found the boost too much for the clean amp (amp2) so instead I use the saturation switch on Ideal mode with a very low saturation drive value in order to produce a more subtle boost for the clean amp). The value resets to off on patch change (or if no pedal present).
- Cabs are all stock normal rez with Null Mic and economy "Tape 50us" preamp.

PRE SIDE BLOCKS: (in chain order):
- PEQ1 - I use this to shape the input tone of some of my guitars. With my #1 guitar (sg), it's always off.
- COMP1 - Default is off. On/Off controlled by MFC.
- WAH1 - Default is off in all scenes. Uses Modifier 2 with an expression pedal to control the sweep. The value resets to 0%/off on patch change (or if no pedal present). It is auto engaged by the modifier. The X version is used on scene 1,2 and the Y version on scene 3,4. The main X/Y difference is less intensity for cleans.
- PITCH2 - Whammy - Default is off in all scenes. Uses Modifier 3 with an expression pedal to control the sweep. The pedal resets to 0%/off on patch change (or if no pedal present). It is also auto engaged by the modifier. This X side is whammy up, the Y side is whammy down (divebomb). X/Y switching is done with the Pitch x/y switch (see below *).
- PHASER1 - Default is off. On/Off controlled by MFC. X side is aimed toward an EVH phaser, and Y side is aimed toward Univibe (a la Robin Trower). X/Y is done with Mod x/y switch (see below *).
- CHORUS2 - Default is off. On/Off controlled by MFC. X side is aimed at giving distorted tones a kind of Alex Lifeson early Rush feel (chorus before amp). Y side is set for scene 4 (clean with heavy fx). X/Y is controlled by scene.
- GEQ1 - Default is on. EQ to shape tone pre-distortion. I think they are all flat in these patches. Set to taste.
- DRIVE1 - Default is off. On/Off controlled by Scene. X side is a drive selected and set for Amp1. Y side is a drive selected and set for Amp2. X/Y is controlled by scene.

POST SIDE BLOCKS (in chain order):
- VOL/PAN1: Always on. Uses modifier 1 with an expression pedal to control the sweep. The pedal resets to 100% on patch change (or if no pedal present).
- PITCH1: Default is off. On/Off controlled by MFC. X side is a detune effect. Y side is intelligent harmony. X/Y i switching is controlled with the pitch x/y switch (see below *).
- TREM/PAN1 - Default is off. On/Off controlled by MFC.
- ROTARY1 - Default is off. On/Off controlled by MFC. X side is fast, Y side is slow. X/Y is controlled by scene and/or by mod x/y switch (see below *).
- FLANGER1 - Default is off. On/Off controlled by MFC X/Y are the same (set for kinda for that Iron Maiden Number of the Beast thingy).
- CHORUS1 - Default is off. On/Off controlled by MFC / scene. X side is for chorused distortion. Y side is for chorused cleans. X/Y switching is by scene.
- DELAY1 - Default is off. On/Off controlled by MFC / scene. X is for soaring distorted lead. Y is the dot1/8th "U2 streets" type thingy with modifier 4 1/2 way up. X/y switching is by scene and or Delay x/y switch (see below *). Modifier 4 is connected to the delay mix with expression pedal to facilitate big swell wankary. The sweep will go from 10% to 50% mix. The value resets to 15% on patch change (or if no pedal present).
- REVERB1 - Default is on. X side is for scene 1/2 (amp1) and the Y side is for scene 3/4 (amp2). X/Y are pretty much the same except for mix. Spring is always used due to how dirt cheap it is on cpu compared to other reverbs.
- ENHANCER - Default is on.
- GEQ4 - Default is off. Used to shape the sound on output if needed for whatever reason (i.e different power/speaker options). Currently FLAT in all presets.

LOOPER: Always on to avoid having to hit another switch in MFC Looper mode to turn it on. Positioned for patch tweaking (record a phrase, start it playing, tweak).

GATING: The input gate is used with modifier 6 attached to the Threshold using an expression pedal. Default is -75db (moderate gating). Bring the expression pedal down to reduce gating (All the way down = gate off. I may change this to a switch at some point). The value resets to -75db on patch change (or if no pedal present).

* X/Y CONTROL: Wouldn't it be great to push-hold an MFC switch to change X/Y! Maybe some day. For now, I used three IA switches on my POD as a control option for x/y. "Pitch x/y" for all pitch blocks, "Mod x/y" for all modulation blocks, "Delay x/y" for all delay blocks. Obviously some conflicts can occur but this is better than nothing. These patches will work fine in a default mode with no controller/midi attached. Modifier 1 through 6 are used.

I would have put these notes in the AxeChange info but the AxeChange description box seems to re-format all the wording to one long line / paragraph in my environment. There is a link on the preset descriptions there pointing to this thread.

Last edited:
To Moderator / Administrator: I put this thread in the wrong section. If possible please move to AXEFX II PATCH EXCHANGE (can't see a way to move it myself).

Thanks in Advance.

Man thank you very much for sharing all these and putting in so much effort explaining them and documenting them ..
very nice .. gonna head over and try them now :)

have a good one

Back
Top Bottom