new Q12 user

andyp13

Power User
Today I bought a Q12a I was reall surprised how small it is - However, it sounds really awesome I have just used it in my home today and it's fantastic I had some amazing sounds.
How loud will this go, I have the Matrix gt800fx amp, but my old 1x12 guitar cab with a 16ohm Tonkerlite (125w) speaker seems like it will go louder and fuller sounding - or is this just me getting paranoid because it's so small (the Q12 that is) and I'm worried about turning up the volume.
Would using two Q12's be ok for backline at a gig with no FOH? For example - I currently use the two 1x12 cabs both are 16ohms and 125w each (eminance tonkerlites), would one or two Q12's be as loud? And give me just as full sound? I am not a metal player I play in a soul band as well as other things, so it's a clean sound I mainly use.
I love the Q12 but am a little worried about using it live without a FOH, though my two guitar cabs handle it no problem.

It's loud but I have 2 of them and a few times I was lazy and took only one with me. I realized then I have to play with 2 Q12a's to replace my 4x12 1960 Marshall cab i used before I got the Matrix.

Sample - last nigt in a biggish pub and very loud level - you will hear we are that loud that the drums is hardly to hear:

Reactions: Ole
It's loud but I have 2 of them and a few times I was lazy and took only one with me. I realized then I have to play with 2 Q12a's to replace my 4x12 1960 Marshall cab i used before I got the Matrix.

Sample - last nigt in a biggish pub and very loud level - you will hear we are that loud that the drums is hardly to hear:

Sounds like a great guitar sound, and that is with two Q12's as backline - It sounds like I will need to purchase a second Q12 - anyone?

Yep, usually just one, but when I set up 2 they sound amazing - powered by GT1000fx. Also I have them on stands at shoulder height.

When using the Q12's as backline do you guys use the mic sim in the cab block or should I leave it to 'none'
Also what is the dephase? I read somewhere that this will help give me a better cab in the room sound, but I can't hear any difference when I adjust it? I'm playing at house volume though.

I typically don't use mic sims as the IRs I use usually have the mics "baked" in. I didn't hear much of a difference with dephase at room levels either until I tried it at rehearsal levels. Get it loud, you'll hear it!

Tried the Q12 loud lastnight, it sounded false - it was just 'dry' sounding no matter what I did adding Rev/delay etc it was just a false sound its quite hard to explain. I tried eq, but on the amp and also took the cab from 20k to 6k which took the digital top end off but it still sounded false - I'm gutted as it sounds great at home volumes, so I guess I will sell it and go back to a guitar cab - just dissapointed that I can't replicate my home sounds.

Lots of people manage to get a good sound thru FRFR in a live situation which makes me wonder what you are doing differently?
Have you tried different mic selections (including null) and played with the proximity?

Of course, FRFR is not for everybody and some just never make the aural transition which may be the case for you... either way, find what works for you and run with it :)

Lots of people manage to get a good sound thru FRFR in a live situation which makes me wonder what you are doing differently?
Have you tried different mic selections (including null) and played with the proximity?

Of course, FRFR is not for everybody and some just never make the aural transition which may be the case for you... either way, find what works for you and run with it :)

I used a DXR 10 on a show tonight and it sounded better than the Q12.
Both the Q12 and the DXR10 sound fantastic at low volume and I really do mean fantastic but, as soon as the volume is raised they loose everything and become harsh and 'dry' sounding and just false I gues. I'm a bit gutted as I really wanted it to work for convenience more than anything.

I used a DXR 10 on a show tonight and it sounded better than the Q12.
Both the Q12 and the DXR10 sound fantastic at low volume and I really do mean fantastic but, as soon as the volume is raised they loose everything and become harsh and 'dry' sounding and just false I gues. I'm a bit gutted as I really wanted it to work for convenience more than anything.
Are u crazy????? yamaha DXR10 vs Q12.....shit vs chocolate, AHAHAHAHHAHAHHAH

Any one else use Q12's for backline?
I've used the Q12a for backline on several gigs from jazz to metal with 6,7, and 8 string guitars. It's a great little cab but I also feel that one cab isn't quite enough for most band situations. When a single Q12a is pushed too hard it can get a bit flat and box'y sounding, but to its credit, when I use two of them its much much better. Also I've found that with the Q12a cab I never run the amp volumes past 50%, for some reason they sound great at that setting and have plenty volume, headroom and dynamic range, but if I turn them up more they can get that sharp box'y thing and seem to loose dynamic range. I really like the Q12a for its size, reliability and portability, and when you have a pair, they really sound great and can easily keep up in loud band situations.

I use them as backline, only problem seems to be controlled feedback is mostly microphonis high pitch as opposed to harmonic and controlled, bit too bassy but pretty good otherwise

Back
Top Bottom