new products?

polizei

I've seen some of the threads about axe-pc, the atomic fr, etc. Since I'm currently on the fence as to what to get, having all these products looming isn't helping. Does fractal have any updates on when the pc software is coming out? There was no info on the pc specs necessary, but I already have a killer pc rig (~$4g's just for the pc) and all the accompanying audio interfaces. I can't imagine that the dsp in the ultra/standard can approach what I have as far as horse power so that may be the way to go, but if it will be another 6 months, I may not want to wait.

Currently there is no firm date on ANY future products.

I'd just get one, and if worse comes to worse you can sell it later when the Axe-PC comes out.

Most people get pretty close to what they paid, less $50, to $100.

Or if you don't need the cash when the Axe-PC hits, you can just keep it as a backup for those situations where you can't/shouldn't take your $4000 PC with you.

If you plan on using it live... there is no question... you should get either the Standard or Axe-fx Ultra. If you are only (I need to stress... only) plan on using it for recording, then the Axe-PC may be for you... it should be less expensive than it's hardware counterpart... my guess is that it will be between $699-$899 that will include a "breakout box" with the appropriate ins/outs. The main advantage to getting the Axe-PC would be to quickly "re-amp" anything on the fly! You technically could do the same thing with the Axe-fx but it's more of a hassle having to have another set of ins/outs just for re-amping.

Or, you could just get the Ultra now... then when the Axe-PC comes out get that too! If you have 4G's to spend on a PC then you definitely have at least 3G's for the Axe-fx/Axe-PC. :D While you're at it, buy me one too! ;)

P.S. I hope that 4G system is an i7.

P.S.S. Hey Tiz, did you ever get your Axe-fx yet? I know you were waiting on your wife's new promotion/job?

Sure! I'll order you one right now! The cpu is bit older; it's one of the first quadcore extreme intels and I have it overclocked to about 3ghz. That could mean very little though, if the the axe-pc isn't multicore capable.

mortega76 said:
P.S.S. Hey Tiz, did you ever get your Axe-fx yet? I know you were waiting on your wife's new promotion/job?

Unfortunately, her job made it clear that there will be no promotion, the economy has hit the fuel retail biz kind of hard, and the company she works for is already quite small. So until things pick up, or she finds a better place to work, she's stuck, but at least she's still employed. Could have been worse.

Instead, I'm looking for employment, and ebaying some things around the house we don't use. It's time I decided to get a real job anyway, because I hate asking for money from my wife, even when we have it.

I have also decided that I need to have a home for my Axe-FX when it gets here, so I'm going ahead and buying a rack, new power conditioner, and a few other goodies, pretty much everything aside from a FRFR speaker, as I want to try them out, before I buy, that way I'm at least 90% set up when it gets here, and I'll have the money to do that soon.

I haven't been following the chatter about the axe-pc closely. However the general consensus about computer based amp emulation is no matter how great a PC you have you will always experience latency of some kind due to bloated operating systems (cough, Vista) and audio hardware latency. Cliff has stated that with the axe's current dedicated hardware latency is down to 1 milisecond. The hardware based Axe will still be popular even when the axe pc is available because not everyone will have the CPU chops to keep up. You can't compare the cpu in your pc and the cpu in the axe. Its apples to oranges. There are so many other variables to consider. Running in a host environment requires a lot more CPU power than some people think. Just my 2 cents.

Guitar-Tiz said:
mortega76 said:

Unfortunately, her job made it clear that there will be no promotion, the economy has hit the fuel retail biz kind of hard, and the company she works for is already quite small. So until things pick up, or she finds a better place to work, she's stuck, but at least she's still employed. Could have been worse.

Instead, I'm looking for employment, and ebaying some things around the house we don't use. It's time I decided to get a real job anyway, because I hate asking for money from my wife, even when we have it.

I have also decided that I need to have a home for my Axe-FX when it gets here, so I'm going ahead and buying a rack, new power conditioner, and a few other goodies, pretty much everything aside from a FRFR speaker, as I want to try them out, before I buy, that way I'm at least 90% set up when it gets here, and I'll have the money to do that soon.
Damn that sucks Tiz, I hope you get one soon, how long have you been waiting? Also, it was you and shredi that got me looking at the Axe-fx in the first place and that was over a year and a half ago! On another note... have you been to either L6 or Institute's website lately? The Institute one is almost completely dead... man I used to love that forum... Have you even had a chance to play an Axe-fx yet? Where in Texas are you?

mortega76 said:
Damn that sucks Tiz, I hope you get one soon, how long have you been waiting? Also, it was you and shredi that got me looking at the Axe-fx in the first place and that was over a year and a half ago! On another note... have you been to either L6 or Institute's website lately? The Institute one is almost completely dead... man I used to love that forum... Have you even had a chance to play an Axe-fx yet? Where in Texas are you?

I haven't been to ION in quite a while. I think I may have been banned for something I said about Line 6's ineptitude, ;) But that was back in, (I think,) '05. I used to like that place very much, especially since it lacked a certain member named Pflo. I could actually talk about Line 6 with candor, and honesty, and NOT get in a heated argument with some fanboy who saw Line 6 as this flawless demigod.

Line 6? I had Line 6 erase my account with them following the "we will not be providing future updates for the Vetta" thing, as I no longer had a good reason to visit their forum after that. In fact if L6 hadn't bought X2 I probably would have never gone back ever again. The place has changed, but they can paint a turd all they want. If you know what I mean. :roll:

Shredi :D He makes me laugh. He can go a bit to far sometimes, but Line 6 will do that to ya. :lol:

Yeah, I played an Axe-FX WAAAAAY back when it was still 2.xx, and I was impressed with it then, so I don't think 7.xx will disappoint. :cool:

I live North of Houston, in a town called Conroe.

Firstpenguin said:
I haven't been following the chatter about the axe-pc closely. However the general consensus about computer based amp emulation is no matter how great a PC you have you will always experience latency of some kind due to bloated operating systems (cough, Vista) and audio hardware latency. Cliff has stated that with the axe's current dedicated hardware latency is down to 1 milisecond. The hardware based Axe will still be popular even when the axe pc is available because not everyone will have the CPU chops to keep up. You can't compare the cpu in your pc and the cpu in the axe. Its apples to oranges. There are so many other variables to consider. Running in a host environment requires a lot more CPU power than some people think. Just my 2 cents.

They are different. The biggest draw back to the PC is portability. The PC is not something I feel like carrying anywhere, but it has a wider range of functions and is much easier to edit. I can usually get my latency down below 20ms and to my ears, I don't feel that is unplayable. At this point, I'm just weighing the 65% difference in price.

Guitar-Tiz said:
mortega76 said:

I haven't been to ION in quite a while. I think I may have been banned for something I said about Line 6's ineptitude, ;) But that was back in, (I think,) '05. I used to like that place very much, especially since it lacked a certain member named Pflo. I could actually talk about Line 6 with candor, and honesty, and NOT get in a heated argument with some fanboy who saw Line 6 as this flawless demigod.

Line 6? I had Line 6 erase my account with them following the "we will not be providing future updates for the Vetta" thing, as I no longer had a good reason to visit their forum after that. In fact if L6 hadn't bought X2 I probably would have never gone back ever again. The place has changed, but they can paint a turd all they want. If you know what I mean. :roll:

Shredi :D He makes me laugh. He can go a bit to far sometimes, but Line 6 will do that to ya. :lol:

Yeah, I played an Axe-FX WAAAAAY back when it was still 2.xx, and I was impressed with it then, so I don't think 7.xx will disappoint. :cool:

I live North of Houston, in a town called Conroe.

Well, Tiz if you're ever in San Antonio hit me up and I'd be more than happy to let you jam on my Ultra! Or you can hit us up a one of our up coming shows... we're playing at Bond's 007 Rockbar this Friday at about 10pm.

Back
Top Bottom