New product idea... Just some fun :)

modman

How cool would it be if Fractal sold a 1U rack spaced unit that just had the Axe FX effects in it? If it could be used in conjunction with the FC controllers, transmit midi, have multiple outs etc... Hear me out!

I am currently using an Axe FX 3 with a FC6 which i love!

I use it for recording at home as well as playing live. I also use it with my Victory VX100 (Super kraken) utilising midi for all the channel switching, effect loop effects etc... Although this works brilliantly it is definitely over kill when used with a tube head. Plus i still like to use some pedals in the front of the amp.
Considering there are artists such as Steve Vai and John Petrucci using Axe FX3 in a similar way... it would be so nice if there was a smaller more portable 1U unit. If it had the same flexibility when used with the FC controllers it would certainly be a heavy weight amongst the multi FX market.

This 1U Fractal effects unit used with the Synergy Amp system, including power amp, would total 3 rack spaces! Amazing! Just imagine the touring possibilities!!

Anyways a bit of a ramble... Just an idea! I love the Axe FX 3 but is this the product missing from the Fractal line up?

Thoughts?

Remember: Just some fun, i know the FM3 could be a viable option, but i'm just daydreaming building imaginary rigs :)

Unless they want to grow their personnel base, I think they probably have a full plate.

1U may be possible given the actual size of the internal hardware but it would sacrifice the front panel interface. I’m all for it and have requested this in the past as long as it has the same cpu capacity as the current model. I’d want 100% control from AxeEdit.

My use case is not with an amp but as a multifx unit so I’d also want a modern digital interface (avb, dante).

I have racks of these things so it would be a boon to cut the space down to 1/3rd!

I do understand why the unit is so big though. The display size was the right choice for most users. I personally don’t use it.

Isn't that a rack version of the FX8 ?
Was just gonna say the same thing. I wonder how many of those they sold... since they aren't available any longer it makes me think that it wasn't all that popular. Maybe H9 or whatever sell a lot because they're only about the cost of 2-3 stompboxes but at the typical FAS price point I'd have to think an effects-only unit would be a non-starter. (especially if you also had to buy an FC to control it)

I can see the usefulness for people like OP who use a regular amp, but why not just buy an FM3 and don't use the amp/cab?

Was just gonna say the same thing. I wonder how many of those they sold... since they aren't available any longer it makes me think that it wasn't all that popular. Maybe H9 or whatever sell a lot because they're only about the cost of 2-3 stompboxes but at the typical FAS price point I'd have to think an effects-only unit would be a non-starter. (especially if you also had to buy an FC to control it)

I can see the usefulness for people like OP who use a regular amp, but why not just buy an FM3 and don't use the amp/cab?

You would be surprised, I run the FX8 users group on Facebook and have over 500 members

No not the same thing. Think full axefx iii in 1u. This is different bc the cpu power could be the same. Ax8 and Fx8 (and fm3) are all lesser than axefx iii in cpu. Also, there’s no reason to limit this to just effects (no amp/cab sims) bc it’s the same cpu. It would only be marketing to limit it to effects.

I’m not assuming that this can be done. There may be electrical and thermal issues with a design such as this. Usually reducing the size like this equals vastly higher temp, more annoying fans, and increased interference due to circuit proximity.

But it would be nice...

1U may be possible given the actual size of the internal hardware but it would sacrifice the front panel interface. I’m all for it and have requested this in the past as long as it has the same cpu capacity as the current model. I’d want 100% control from AxeEdit.

My use case is not with an amp but as a multifx unit so I’d also want a modern digital interface (avb, dante).

I have racks of these things so it would be a boon to cut the space down to 1/3rd!

I do understand why the unit is so big though. The display size was the right choice for most users. I personally don’t use it.
Not just front panel. Don't forget about the 29 connectors on the rear panel. They'd probably have to use breakout cables with big multipin connectors to offer the same I/O and control options. Those bring their own problems.

Would be nice if they offered a faceless version of the AxefxIII like the eventide h9000. For the eventide it’s 2k cheaper!

Not just front panel. Don't forget about the 29 connectors on the rear panel. They'd probably have to use breakout cables with big multipin connectors to offer the same I/O and control options. Those bring their own problems.

My use case is not for use with an amp so I have little to no need for analog io. Sometime’s I use one with analog devices in a loop but I mostly use a single io cable with them : USB. While that’s working for me (aggregate devices with multiple with separate interface handling analog io) I would prefer an Ethernet based interface.

However, all of that io can fit in a 1u layout. Plus, the front panel can have some of that io as well. The xlrs could be changed to 1/4” trs except for the foot pedal. The digital io could be reduced or eliminated as long as avb or Dante was supported (1 or 2 Ethernet connectors). If you have any doubts, look at all of the dense 1U audio interfaces.

The axefx iii’s io is quite spaces out that way to reduce interference but as I mentioned, 1u would come at the expensive that.

I’m content now but I would definitely replace all of my units (well except for one maybe) with 1U’s if they existed.

I dont see a 1U FX rack being a big seller. For touring, you would be better off with the FM3. Smaller and you can carry it on the plane.

waiting for the full III's power in a floor format myself. you already have what you want with the exception of the 1 rack space.

The Eventide H9 may not be as expensive to buy, but the separate algorithms you have to purchase will make it more expensive. Unless you get the fully loaded version. Which will set you back the cost of several more stompboxes. As for why not the FM3, some people prefer rack. At home or on stage. For me having a FX-8 in rackform would be quite nice to have together with my Axe II. As I do run into DSP overload quite often as I love to use lots of FX, so being able to offload several of the biggest DSP hogs to a secondary unit, like delays, reverbs and shimmer, does sound appealing.

No not the same thing. Think full axefx iii in 1u. This is different bc the cpu power could be the same. Ax8 and Fx8 (and fm3) are all lesser than axefx iii in cpu. Also, there’s no reason to limit this to just effects (no amp/cab sims) bc it’s the same cpu. It would only be marketing to limit it to effects.

I’m not assuming that this can be done. There may be electrical and thermal issues with a design such as this. Usually reducing the size like this equals vastly higher temp, more annoying fans, and increased interference due to circuit proximity.

But it would be nice...

An FX-8 in rack form would be very nice to have, like I said, to offload some of the DSP consuming effects. I'd love one just for shimmer alone.

waiting for the full III's power in a floor format myself. you already have what you want with the exception of the 1 rack space.

Not going to happen. All that DSP inside the Axe III requires a lot of cooling. I don't think a 1U unit could cover that.

Back
Top Bottom