New passive graphic EQ is the $hit

Is there a master Q parameter for the amp block passive EQ? I didn't see one one AxeEdit page but haven't checked on the Axe itself.
For the graphic EQ block Axe Edit doesn't show it but on the Axe itself there is a master Q for the passive EQ in the graphic EQ block.

Also, if anyone has reached any conclusions on where and why they set the master Q for particular amps/timbres or just in general I'd love to read about it....
I've been gravitating to .5 to.6 on mine. I'm guessing it has to do with the overlap of the frequencies but I don't know what the default setting/base line of that is or what the range of adjustment covers.

Last edited:
You replied to the previous post which was about the EQ in the amp block and said that was the reason for your question... Maybe you missed that part?

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, my bad. Shouldn't have quoted that reply. My question related only to a dedicated GEQ block either before or after the cab.

Is there a master Q parameter for the amp block passive EQ? I didn't see one one AxeEdit page but haven't checked on the Axe itself.
For the graphic EQ block Axe Edit doesn't show it but on the Axe itself there is a master Q for the passive EQ in the graphic EQ block.

Also, if anyone has reached any conclusions on where and why they set the master Q for particular amps/timbres or just in general I'd love to read about it....
I've been gravitating to .5 to.6 on mine. I'm guessing it has to do with the overlap of the frequencies but I don't know what the default setting/base line of that is or what the range of adjustment covers.

Axe Edit does show master Q in the GEQ block now

I just had time today to play with the fixed 5 band EQ & I really like the hmid, a little cut & hmids seem to get smoother without losing a lot of attack. my new go to for tweaking.

Well color me happy. I don't know what Cliff means by "hit record from the 70s and 80s". I'm using this thing to cut highs and lows and just a smidgeon of the 240 region, and holy buckets. No more need for low and high cut in the cab block, and it seems to SATURATE the tone of the guitar in the mids by adding this.

Along with Scott Peterson's advice of adding a very very small amount of reverb to the mix and I've got myself some very crushing modern high gain going on. This is quite the thing, gentlemen.

Please share your crushing high gain preset!

upgraded from 15.03 last night and tried this in my BE patch and one of my Plexi patches.
Yup! I'm on board with this, it works, seems to add a fullness that I was looking for in my medium gain "road house blues" patches
that I've been trying to dial in. Worked pretty well with one of my mark IV patches too but I've still got to tweak that one a bit more.
Nice work Cliff and co. :)

This. I'm still confused.

You guys are confusing stuff.

The question which Cliff answered, was about the order of the CAB block and the EQ block.
Nobody said anything before about the AMP block.

IIRC, the EQ in the AMP block comes at the end of the preamp section, so before the power amp section.
The AMP's power amp section is not linear.
So using the EQ in the AMP block or an EQ block after the amp block will sound different. I tried it.

Yea, same settings in amp block with a 5 band passive compared to those settings for a graphic EQ block after the cab block deliver different results with the amp block version sounding louder and the frequency differences more pronounced.
Also, no sign of a Q adjustment for the passive in the amp block.

IIRC, the EQ in the AMP block comes at the end of the preamp section, so before the power amp section.
The AMP's power amp section is not linear.
So using the EQ in the AMP block or an EQ block after the amp block will sound different. I tried it.

According to the signal flow diagram in the manual, the graphic EQ is at the very end of the amp block (post power amp), so there shouldn't be a difference to a graphic EQ block after the amp block.

According to the signal flow diagram in the manual, the graphic EQ is at the very end of the amp block (post power amp), so there shouldn't be a difference to a graphic EQ block after the amp block.

That was the way I was reading it as well, hence my confusion. I am rebuilding a motor on my daily driver right now, so I haven't had a chance to check for a Q adjustment on the amp-block EQ, but I would like to know what if any differences there are between using the passive EQ in the amp block versus in a separate block.

Scottcke that's a great tone! Would you share the patch?

Sure thing, I just moved my Axe-FX to the studio today so can't share it right now, but I'll try to remember to get it tomorrow, gonna have to clean the patch up a bit though, there's a lot of effects on that preset that aren't really necessary :p
Keep in mind you will need the OwnHammer Diezel Lynchback High Gain Essentials cabs for it to sound like my example.

that's how I always understood it as well...

that's how I always understood it as well...

Okay, so no difference between using the amp block EQ versus a dedicated EQ block after the amp as long as all other parameters are equal, and as long as it isn't after the cab block if the user has motor drive set to >0. That's how I am interpreting this.

Back
Top Bottom