New Passive EQ's

Dude, I agree!
These ones are really different. For the first time I really feel comfortable using an EQ.
For now, the results are very far from perfection, but I like to play my guitar using these EQ's.
I'm not touching/fine tuning the mids, I just use Shelving2 PEQ blocks for now.
I use two of them, and the settings are kind of extreme (PEQ1: 200/3000, PEQ2: 140/3500).
I will continue to experiment.
Another sleepless night, goddammit!

My second attempt... I'm almost convinced that the Triptik is a way better amp than the IIC+, by the way.
https://soundcloud.com/ertan-ertang-n/triptik-mark-iic

Even though I have read the various threads on the passive EQs before this new F/W release, I'm not sure what to look for, or how to "experience" passive EQ for the first time.

Would a knowledgeable expert please take a moment to write a quick "here's how to be blown away by passive EQs" paragraph?

Even though I have read the various threads on the passive EQs before this new F/W release, I'm not sure what to look for, or how to "experience" passive EQ for the first time.

Would a knowledgeable expert please take a moment to write a quick "here's how to be blown away by passive EQs" paragraph?

Same here!! A "how to" of some kind would be great. Just knowing where to start would be a big help.

I just spent a few minutes playing with this: (for those who do not want a diatribe on shelving filters and other explanations that don't say what it SOUNDS like...)

I only really used the passives in the amp block to gauge differences. My findings:

#1: Turn up, this feels subtle.
#2: It added a touch more *life* to some of my tones (not all...it seemed to muffle a few of my presets...) The *life* was in the form of 'bigger', 'more present'. I heard additional gain, but I believe that it was just
because I was HEARING more gain, not that any was added (i.e. boosted in some manner.)
#3: Adding this to a midrangey amp (Wrecker, etc), gave it a punch that stood out a touch more.

I will emphasize that I am NOT a professional studio guy, and that these are impressions, not technical reviews on this. I like it in certain places, but with what I would consider a very subtle, and not oft spoken of effect, we could use one of these guru's to dig in and give us a mild non-technical overview on how that this is used, how to tweak, and what it's effect is...with example clips.

Help us Chris...you're our only hope.

R

Not an expert, but from what I understand passive EQ's are passive.

:)

OK, from what I understand passive EQ's only attenuate the signal; even when "boosting". It does this by attenuating the frequencies other than the one you have selected when applying gain. When cutting that frequency it attenuates it. Since they are passive there is no amplification in the path and no negative feedback loop used. I imagine that they would appear more transparent since they do not apply any amplification to the circuit and that they would be less likely to distort since they don't add any gain to the signal.

This is all based on assumptions on my part from what little reading I have done on them; I have no actual hands on experience apart from what is on a guitar. I do know that in the vintage market they are pricey and that in the plugin world they are considered "game changers."

The way that I look at it if Cliff was excited about them and put them into the AxeFXII they are probably worth checking out.

If it is modeled after the Manley Massive Passive EQ (not sure about this?)

Then this talks about 100% passive eq design: Manley Massive Passive Stereo Tube EQ
I believe (could be wrong though) that Cliff mentioned before that they are not a direct emulation of something, but rather applying the technology/design behind passive EQs. and yes. they do sound very good, even a "simple" three band passive in the amp block can do a lot of good.
makes me wish that the Amp block would have two separate EQs (instead of using a separate EQ block). one for the precise cutting/boosting (like with the 8 Band for example) and a second for less precise applications after the fine tuning (3/4 Band).

I believe (could be wrong though) that Cliff mentioned before that they are not a direct emulation of something, but rather applying the technology/design behind passive EQs. and yes. they do sound very good, even a "simple" three band passive in the amp block can do a lot of good.
makes me wish that the Amp block would have two separate EQs (instead of using a separate EQ block). one for the precise cutting/boosting (like with the 8 Band for example) and a second for less precise applications after the fine tuning (3/4 Band).

I think a PreEQ and PostEQ in the Amp block would be killer!

Pre and Post EQ are so common for guitar tones.

How come the MarkV eq isn't the same anymore. Didn't it used to match up with the frequencies on the actually amp?

How come the MarkV eq isn't the same anymore. Didn't it used to match up with the frequencies on the actually amp?

Apparently it's just a mistake/bug:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-05-mark-eq-type-shows-wrong-frequencies.html

I think it's just visual too, I didn't notice that my Mesa Mark patches that use the eq sounded any different.

P.S - Technically, it's the Mark IV/IIc+ eq, since there are no Mark V sims in the AxeII at present (a model of the V's channel 2 "Crunch" mode would sure be nice ;)).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom