New Ownhammers - Kevin is on a roll!

Kev - the silent majority does indeed view your offerings as a gift - from every perspective - and especially when coupled with the OH frequency discounts.

You will have the continued support of the vast majority and - I am sure - of many of the negative Nellies who actually enjoy your product but just can't stop themselves from grousing about something! :lol

Thank you for your sacrifice and please take some time to enjoy the New Year holiday with your family and friends! :)

Ah, pricing debates. lol

Everybody will see this a little differently. From my perspective, the Ownhammer IRs--with all the possible discounts applied--are priced to be just barely affordable for a hobbyist like me. The discounts are the reason I felt I could justify the purchase as a hobbyist/dilettante. (I actually agonized for about a week over getting the newest sets.) If I were pro or semi-pro, it would be different.

Of course, there are a lot more hobby level guitarists than pros out there.

I'm grateful for the opportunity to buy them at a price point I can afford, knowing full well that I'd have to pass if they were more.

Everybody will see this a little differently. From my perspective, the Ownhammer IRs--with all the possible discounts applied--are priced to be just barely affordable for a hobbyist like me. The discounts are the reason I felt I could justify the purchase as a hobbyist/dilettante. (I actually agonized for about a week over getting the newest sets.) If I were pro or semi-pro, it would be different.

Don't get me wrong, I understand what your saying and agree as I'm kind of in the same place. Just not really willing to spend hundreds of dollars on IR's, nor do I have that much of a need. However, I couldn't escape the irony of debating things "affordable" for the home hobbyist guitar player on a forum of guys (and maybe a few gals) who all use the most high end, high dollar guitar processor on the market.

I mean its like a bunch of owners of a $1 million dollars sports on a Bugatti forum debating if they should use premium fuel or save $0.10/gal on see if they can get it to run on a lower grade lol

Um, ok, so how did you afford the axefx if you can just barely afford the cab packs? This doesn't add up. What physical speakers are you using and what did they cost? What did your guitars cost?

Just because the cab packs are computer files doesn't mean that they don't offer huge variety and influence on your guitar tones. To me it seems you are only valuing "real" goods and that the real work, time, and effort, plus financial investment that Kevin pours into his products is not something that you value.

I can not wait to write a heartfelt letter to BP and Shell, telling them that their brilliant product can and should be priced higher!!!

Sentiments of this regard are ill conceived and only serve to increase the divide between the have's and have not's.

I do not doubt that Kevin has put a lot of capital and time into this venture and should be rewarded accordingly, but.
We would be most ignorant to believe pricing was an afterthought.

I for one, can not understand the mentality behind consumers suggesting they pay more....
...it's no wonder we are where we are today.

I am going crazy about trying them. I recently purchased the 412 one and haven't had a chance to play Eith them due to the holidays. Arrrgggggghhhh

I can not wait to write a heartfelt letter to BP and Shell, telling them that their brilliant product can and should be priced higher!!!

Sentiments of this regard are ill conceived and only serve to increase the divide between the have's and have not's.

I do not doubt that Kevin has put a lot of capital and time into this venture and should be rewarded accordingly, but.
We would be most ignorant to believe pricing was an afterthought.

I for one, can not understand the mentality behind consumers suggesting they pay more....
...it's no wonder we are where we are today.

With tangible goods yes, but when it comes to services, and in some regards making IR's is a service, I think its a bit different.

I'm a photographer for a living, and there are sometimes guys out there who offer their services too low. They have good quality work and are basically giving it away. There are also of course guys who do crap and charge way too much, but hey, if clients will pay it, more power to them I guess.

I come across a lot of beginners photographers who will quote a job at $75 when I'd say $750, as would most of my peers. Prices are what the market will bear, etc etc, but people can and do undervalue their work sometimes, or, they don't realize just how much work will go into a job.

I see plenty of wedding shooters give a low price, thinking its just a half days job, but then forget/not realize, they will be spending countless hours sitting at a computer editing for a week afterwards, so the "product" they offered at a given price in regards to an estimated amount of labour doesn't always pan out the way they wanted.

I'm not saying Kevin should, or needs to raise prices, but, it may happen that the amount of time/effort that goes into making the IR's, compared to what he's making off them isn't falling where he'd like it to be. Don't want to see someone realize when all is said and done they are making $4/hr based on all the effort that goes into it.

Topic for another forum/board no doubt, but I think a lack of a decent wage/self valuation of ones skills also contributes to part of where we are today. That isn't a call for fast food workers to make $15/hr, because that is absurd, but too much wealth inequality is also a bad thing. You can't have half of your population unable to afford basic living, with the other 45% getting by okay and 5% living in mansions. Have to preserve that middle class or else it starts to become closer to a 99 - 1 ratio and then everything starts to totally break down.

I can. When a product is priced below a threshold that does not produces a reasonable return on investment the product is at risk of disappearing from the market. Suggesting the vendor charge more helps to ensure it's longevity.

Purchasing agents will sometimes avoid the lowest bid in a competitive tender because a vendor with a habit of cutting their margins too slim may not be in business long enough to warranty the work or product they provided.

Terry.

Um, ok, so how did you afford the axefx if you can just barely afford the cab packs? This doesn't add up. What physical speakers are you using and what did they cost? What did your guitars cost?

That someone scraped/saved/sold gear to get an Axe-FX and associated equipment does not mean access to unlimited funds at all times. I see posters repeating that logic error often on this forum.

I have no issue with the price, where I fault Kevin is not coming out with these earlier! Life would have been much better, and good tone would have come easier, if I had these years ago.

The EV SRO and Celestion Alnico Silver are outstanding (especially with the ODS clean & lead models).

I cannot see why any one would get upset. If you think something is too expensive, then it is too expensive. What ever you believe is your own truth; but realize it is not universal. The transverse is also true; but my experience with these IR's tells me they are worth it. Just because someone disagrees with someone else does NOT automatically mean they are a dick.

Frankly IMHO, these are among the best IR's on the planet and work incredibly with the Axe-FX II. I've done well over 50+ gigs myself with these IR's over the past year during development/beta testing them and to me the proof is in the pudding. So for me, based on my experience... they are worth every penny. I work with pro artists, semi-pro artists and passionate amateur artists and when I dial up their sounds, I go to these IR's first and use my mix of them. Dial in the low resonant frequency on the Axe-FX II; boom. It's instant karma every time. I've seen it happen and been in the audience for too many gigs/tours/shows for people I've worked with and talked to too many sound guys working with these artists and their direct-to-FOH tones to be imagining it. Too many experienced, knowledgeable people have agreed with my opinion for me to be anything but enthusiastic over these IR's.

You are not paying for the IR's; you are paying for the experience, work and expertise of the IR maker creating these IR's. You only use the IR; but in effect you are using all the effort/knowledge/expertise that went into creating the IR.

Someone else might not feel they are worth the purchase price and they have a right to that opinion.

Arguing 'worth' doesn't seem very productive to me. IMHO, these IR's are worth it. That's my opinion. But I won't belittle someone else that feels they are not worth it. And nor should someone belittle me for liking them.

I'm fine disagreeing with anyone and still respecting the other person. It'd be nice if other people could once again understand that we don't have to all agree on anything; but there is nothing positive to come out of sweeping generalizations dismissing other opinions and people that hold them.

I am happy to believe they are easily worth it (like I hinted).

I bought the kickstarter to support and trusting so, knowing I may never get or take the time to try many of them.

But I also think Kevin should "get rich" by selling as many as he can and IR makers should factor in the cost of many people losing huge chunks of their life trying them out alone.

The price still seems fair, even though it was raised or will raise // value was added.

But if they continue to raise, it is a question of time before someone will put all of them in a torrent...
We would all be worse off in the end and I would truely not sleep very well after that, if I was Rocket Brother... ;)

The "nice price" is probably a huge factor why people are still actually buying them.

Also factor in that some people with good reputation (e.g. steadystate) only seem to like a few, but still think they get their money's worth at this time. If prices go up, that may change (though they are probably just a few people, thankfully).

As long as they are "easily affordable", many will want to buy most of them eventually and that would be my strategy if I was Kevin. I also think this "ideal price" is now kinda reached ;)

Last edited:
I am happy to believe they are easily worth it (like I hinted).

I bought the kickstarter to support and trusting so, knowing I may never get or take the time to try many of them.

But I also think Kevin should "get rich" by selling as many as he can and IR makers should factor in the cost of many people losing huge chunks of their life trying them out alone.

The price still seems fair, even though it was raised or will raise // value was added.

But if they continue to raise, it is a question of time before someone will put all of them in a torrent...
We would all be worse off in the end and I would truely not sleep very well after that, if I was Rocket Brother... ;)

The "nice price" is probably a huge factor why people are still actually buying them.

Also factor in that some people with good reputation (e.g. steadystate) only seem to like a few, but still think they get their money's worth at this time. If prices go up, that may change (though they are probably just a few people, thankfully).

As long as they are "easily affordable", many will want to buy most of them eventually and that would be my strategy if I was Kevin. I also think this "ideal price" is now kinda reached ;)

If you were Rocket Brother, you would sleep very well and next to a beautiful woman every night - happy new year my friend :)

Uhh 777 posts......

Last edited:
Scott I just took your three Alnico Silver 1x12 SS, T! and T2 OH mixes, blended them together in Cab Lab, dropped them via scratchpad into The Brown Sound (with a little Dimension D and a little 4-Knob here and there) and sat down in front of the big screen blasting Clapton's 2007 Crossroads Marathon on Paladia and played through my AXE and Neo CLRs until my fingers were absolutely raw!

Nice job on the open backs Kevin and Scott. Really capped off a great year of musical bliss!

Scott - you were sooooo right (again) - it really is all about the IRs! :encouragement:

Well Here to say thanks to Kev for his hard work, just got home and while waiting to get to play with the new IR's I had wanted to try and improve my Limelight patch, drop the first Vintage 412 cab with g12m green backs insounded very good I thought I must be on the right track then I droped OwnHammer_412_MAR-CB_M-PR-55_T1_Median in and it looking very good indeed, very happy, there are so many to choose from but to be able to drop 2 IR's in and se the difference I am impressed.
Dont get me wrong the original FAS preset for limelight is what I had fine tuned for my PRS custom 24 but swapping out the Hi wat cab IR has made all the difference.

cheers
G \../

Back
Top Bottom