New Ownhammer Mesa IR Test

xpenno

Power User
Hi guys,

just paypal'd myself the 2 AxeFX versions of the Ownhammer Mesa 4x12. I've only loaded up 1 cab so far and I was so impressed with the results that a made a short recording. If you've not heard about the Ownhammer cabs then get over to the IR section and check out their post introducing themselves.

Not sure what style it's in, I guess it's blues/pop (recto will be on its way shortly :twisted: )

Guitars are all AxeFX, no post processing, through a single hi-res Ownhammer mesa 4x12 (OwnHammer_412_Mesa_V30-1_SM57_3.syx) Chain goes Amp,Cab,Verb(room). The lead part has a longer verb and a slight delay going on as well. Amp is plexi2, all tone pots around the 12 o clock area. I added a slight mid/treble boost for the lead part (0.5-1 on each) master is crank's for all three parts.

Bass was also AxeFX and drums are Superior with Evil Drums and a couple of UAD plugs.

http://www.rockandload.co.uk/axefx/ownhammervsaxefx.mp3

To me the guitars sound natural with no frequencies that stick out, no need for big eq'ing etc... Also the fact that there are less IRs will help me loads as I am very bad at listening objectively when auditioning them back to back.

Please let me know what you think?

Spence

Sounds great for that style of music.
With a Recto and a Mesa 4x12 I'd go for a completely different tone though :twisted: (read: teh brootalz)

Hi Spence

I bought the 3 sets yesterday, but have not had time to try them out in the Ultra. Cant wait for a test drive.

I think from your recording they sound excellent, was impressed with the Ownhammers online audio clips anyway even the majority were running through Amplitube i believe.

Cant wait for the Scumbacks

Paul

bmi said:
xpenno said:
bmi said:
Just a small test with the plexi1 default values :
http://soundcloud.com/axefx/test-ir-own ... 0-1_sm7b_5

Cool, just out of interest what changes halfway through? The tone seems to change quite a bit.

Spence
Not totally because these are not the same IRs.(in theory)
The first one is mine. His little sister has been posted here.
If you want to compare IRs play the same thing thru different IRs IMO.

So the second half is the Ownhammer? Sorry if I missed something ;)

Hey guys,
To eliminate confusion brought on by 'bmi', if you check my starter thread in the User Cabs and IR's section, he is attempting to underhandedly drag my products through the mud and promote his in-development freeware IR project with apples to oranges comparisons. Class act! :lol:

For legitimate audio demos, I'd venture away from his posts, but that's just me. ;)

Best Regards,
Kevin

Kevin ...,

I read the entire thread(s) that you're discussing, I didn't get that impression AT ALL !

In fact ..., I also looked over your whole website and ( unless I just missed it somewhere ) I didn't find any information on exact mic placement you used in your mic'ing techniques. Based on how RedWirez sets up their IR's, it kinda makes a total "apples to apples" comparison pretty difficult ( IMHO ) ....

Now, bmi's been here for quite a while and he's got a track record of being nothing but helpful and respectful. I can't help that the two of you got off to a bad start ..., but you're not going to win any additional friends by doing this .... Quite frankly you've already turned me off buying your product with your behavior !

Just my $ 0.02, but if I feel this way about you already, I think it's a safe bet that others do too ....

Hi R.D.

You hit the nail on the head in that due to the lack of placement information, it is very hard to do an apples to apples without using your ears, and not eyes. ;)

Track records aside, anything that bmi has posted about me or my products has been purely conjecture or slander, and I do not see how defending myself against such unfair attacks is off putting, however I felt it necessary to not just sit back and let him try to lose me customers for whatever it is that is motivating him. I'm all about fair comparisons, I think that it helps the community as well as satisfies curiosities for those who only have interest invested in the topics. Had his comparisons been fair, I would have never needed to respond! :)

In either case, I have defended myself, and I am moving on. Very sorry to hear you won't be giving the OwnHammer libraries a shot, I (and for that matter I'm sure others will agree) feel you're missing out!

Best Regards,
Kevin

Back
Top Bottom