New owner of the ULTRA

ndc31

Hello everyone, just wanted to say hello to all the forumers with my first post.

I've been looking into changing to a rack setup for years now and never could settle on an effects processor. The g-force was always at the top of my list and as good as it is, I always had a feeling that there was something better (the thing is OLD now) with newer technology out there aside from the ridiculously expensive stuff. In any case, I started hearing about the Axe-FX and i've been looking at every video/sound sample/review/posts on the Axe for the past year and finally decided to go for it.

I have to say, my primary reason for buying this unit was for it's effects as I have 4 great pedals and a mesa rectifier. This might get long so I apolgize before hand. By the way, my interest in music ranges from jazz to prog. metal BUT I play mostly in my church team every week (not your usual church team, on a given sunday we'll have about 30 channels of audio being used for worship, so the live sound is really important to all of us and we spend the money on quality instruments). Just some background info, but I listen to and love many types of music out there.

First impression: AMAZING!! The hype was no hype, if you're reading this post on this thread, the amazing reviews here are true. I've been playing through my gt-6 and mesa rectifier using the "4-cable" method for the past 5 years. People always asked me why I wouldnt upgrade to a tonelab se, line 6, or gt-10, but I would always tell them that that wouldn't be an upgrade, and I always felt like I was able to generate most of the stuff the newer modellers were doing with my gt-6 (since I don't use much of the amp sims and drive sims on the gt). Recently, one of our guitarist bought a g-system and he has a few great pedals hooked up to it along with his Marshall TSL. The thing sounds amazing, but there was something about the flexibility of the axe-fx that attracted me. I was intending on using the 15 day trial period to return if I wasn't satisfied.

Anyways, yesterday, I took it to our practice room at the church we go to, and plugged it straight into the poweramp section of my recto (this apparently isn't even the optimal setting for the axe-fx) and WOW. I had both of my guitarists and our drummer there and everyone was blown away. First of all because I went in not expecting much from the amp tones and drive tones, i could not believe the raw chunky tone I was getting from some of the heavier drive presets. When I played some power riffs, my muted notes and chords actually sounded more brutal (good thing lol) yet crisp than my real recto (i know it sounds stupidly exaggerated but it's the only way I can describe it). The effects were much better/cleaner/warmer and pristine than I imagined and the amp tones... well let's just say that none of us are looking at the axe as any kind of modeller. It's just on a unique plateau of it's own.

Upon hearing and playing on some of the presets, my friend told me flat out that the quality of the effects (reverb, delay, comp...) were much better on te axe than his g-sys and he LOVES his g-sys. And these are PRESETS that I'm talking about here~! Will i dump all of my amps and stuff? No, but I can see how using the Axe-FX wisely as a part of a well planned out rig would allow the Axe-Fx to really shine and do everything it was built for.

I bought the rg-16 from RJM (audio switcher/amp function) and intend on putting together my 4-5 pedals as well as my recto all controlled via ground control pro (i know there are better ones out there but this is enough for me).

I know it's been a long post, but just wanted to say thanks to everyone who put up samples and reviews on this forum which really helped me make my decision (I live in Toronto Canada by the way, so purchasing this was a big deal for me as I like to personlly test all the gear I buy, and the shipping and buying process-.-) AND I look forward to bugging all of you with questions as I get my setup completed :)

And to Cliff, I don't know if you'll read this but you've created a beast of a machine~ Thank you!

Congrats. I have a gforce collecting dust too. The amps/cabs were the main reason I bought (and I was dying for an all in one rack unit).

Back
Top Bottom