New owner intimidation

I tried these free ones out and they sounded pretty good so I ended up purchasing a pack from them.

So far the few I’ve tried from axechnge and free ones have sounded pretty good to me. I don’t really have anything to reference them from so I guess what I’m saying is I don’t know how accurate they are but I have noticed my pups are pretty hot cause I have to turn the cabs down like 15 dB. Hope that doesn’t change the eq curve on the speakers since essentially that’s what they are.

Seems the more I dig into this thing the more I like. I notice other things saying oh it’s got tube simulation. And I think. Check, got that plus infinity.

So far the few I’ve tried from axechnge and free ones have sounded pretty good to me. I don’t really have anything to reference them from so I guess what I’m saying is I don’t know how accurate they are but I have noticed my pups are pretty hot cause I have to turn the cabs down like 15 dB. Hope that doesn’t change the eq curve on the speakers since essentially that’s what they are.

Seems the more I dig into this thing the more I like. I notice other things saying oh it’s got tube simulation. And I think. Check, got that plus infinity.
Turning the cab block level down isn't the solution for hot pickups.

Turning down Amp block Input Drive would be the place for that, usually, as hot pickups are going to increase gain more than level. Also, Amp block level is a recommended place to manage overall volume.

I tried that and you are right with some amps/effects I have to turn down amp volume down like 30 db. I don’t want to mess with drive/level cause I want the gain as unaffected as possible. I noticed the blocks drop down when I was selecting drive type and noticed people share these as common presets and was hoping there was a collection of links still active to download these cause it would be a lot quicker than swapping presets and or whole blocks then dialing in from factory settings. In the wiki it says people have came up with all kinds of drive settings for pedals that aren’t in the dropdown

I don’t want to mess with drive/level cause I want the gain as unaffected as possible.
Input Drive and Level are 2 different things. The first affects the gain. The Level control does not - it is literally a control of volume for the block.

Has anyone used axe fx with a source audio reflex foot pedal? It’s midi and am wondering how capable it would be with axe or if it would just be for use with stuff like h9

Ok guys so here’s the deal. Friggen love the axe fx. A monster. Can’t afford the 3 or foot controller atm but I heard it was plug and play. I have behringer fcb 1010.

Problem is I have no clue how to use the midi program software. All I can do is turn it on. Prices on eBay are steep and I’m banned from reverb for life. Don’t send pics of you middle finger to ppl that rip you off.

Reverb does have it for 350 should I suck it up and pay twice as much on eBay is it truly plug and play cause I hate programming tv remotes so midi is super meh

Can't you get a buddy to buy it for you? Anyway, I spent quite some time with the axe and a ground control pro. Eventually I bought an mfc.....because I could.. lol. I must admit that it really helped me use much more of the potential of the axe. Not to mention the huge " ease of use" factor. It really is plug and play. Just watch the video from katsakuri media (KKmedia) hope I spelled that correctly..on youtube. That guy really made a difference for me. I cannot thank him enough for his videos. Het helps you set everything correctly. With this machine having the right footcontroller really makes a difference.
I am assuming that if I even buy the III (I will wait at least till the III mark II comes out) that footcontroller options for those will be more to my liking.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards, Harm

Nobody that wouldn’t keep it for themselves. I figured the big midi one is too much for now the reflex one is just like a treadle was pedal but has midi and waveforms you can assign. The company said they are cost inefficient so they won’t make anymore so if it has full functionality with axe ( custom waveforms, assignable parameters from the pedal not the amp) it’s kindof hard to explain it’s called source audio reflex

Nobody that wouldn’t keep it for themselves. I figured the big midi one is too much for now the reflex one is just like a treadle was pedal but has midi and waveforms you can assign. The company said they are cost inefficient so they won’t make anymore so if it has full functionality with axe ( custom waveforms, assignable parameters from the pedal not the amp) it’s kindof hard to explain it’s called source audio reflex
Are you not wanting to do things like change presets or scenes?

That device is very basically a Midi enabled expression pedal... And not cheap.

Yeah changing presets and scenes would be nice I have no midi knowledge so even rudimentary stuff is beyond me. Just I find a tutorial on how to setup the reflex and it’s just trying a few knobs here and there. Plus because it’s expensive but for what it does it wouldn’t be as cost efficient as the fractal big one but I just do home recording so I’m right in front of a mouse not that big of a deal at least as much as programming midi for me

Yeah changing presets and scenes would be nice I have no midi knowledge so even rudimentary stuff is beyond me. Just I find a tutorial on how to setup the reflex and it’s just trying a few knobs here and there. Plus because it’s expensive but for what it does it wouldn’t be as cost efficient as the fractal big one but I just do home recording so I’m right in front of a mouse not that big of a deal at least as much as programming midi for me
Then just buy a couple expression pedals and plug them in to the pedal ports on the Axe Fx directly.

If you want preset and Scene changes you need a controller pedal not an expression pedal.

That being said I’m wondering about just the feasibility of axe and reflex. I’ve never seen an expression pedal with those capabilities and since they are no longer in production it is more interesting than just expressions. I am curious as to if the full functionality of reflex would be fully utilized. I’ve found mid controllers for the same price but you still have to program them and still wouldn’t have custom waveforms like the reflex.

That being said I’m wondering about just the feasibility of axe and reflex. I’ve never seen an expression pedal with those capabilities and since they are no longer in production it is more interesting than just expressions. I am curious as to if the full functionality of reflex would be fully utilized. I’ve found mid controllers for the same price but you still have to program them and still wouldn’t have custom waveforms like the reflex.
What would you use a custom waveform for?

You do understand that the modifiers in the Axe Fx allow a certain degree of shaping already?

What would you use a custom waveform for?

You do understand that the modifiers in the Axe Fx allow a certain degree of shaping already?

Yeah I’ve messed with them some. I think the reflex lets you select like six curves I believe it lets you also use a custom one on the lfo shape. Not sure what I’d use it for just getting new sounds. I know the reflex is no longer in production because it’s not economically viable with all the tech it has so there are limited quantity and supposedly a one of a kind pedal that can control multiple parameters on multiple devices my h9 is just collecting dust. From what it sounds like it would allow you to do stuff no other expression pedal can do.

As far as using a basic one with axe all I know is there’s an expression pedal block cause just hooking one up doesn’t really do anything.

It just sounding like a neat gizmo. I have mission ep-3 so it’s very basic. I just like tech and experimental sounds but if it’s something the axe can do on its own with a cheap one then like you said it’s pointless. I am having a hard time giving up pedals. I know axe is picky cause of stuff like buffers with fuzz but there are some very unique pedals I don’t think axe could duplicate

Here’s a description from source audio website

“The Reflex Universal Expression Controller is the stand-alone command center for all of your expression pedal needs. It is a programmable expression pedal that connects to any effects pedal, synthesizer, or rack system with an expression or MIDI jack, and can also control DAW software via USB. Its outputs include three ¼” analog expression outs, MIDI 5-pin DIN in and out connectors, a USB port, and Source Audio’s proprietary 1/8” Sensor Out. Use the onboard control panel to program which outputs are active, the depth and direction of the expression or MIDI continuous controller signals, and the curve of the tapers. The Reflex can also send five different LFO wave shapes with expression control of the depth, modulation speed, or beat division. Save up to 128 expression configurations, recallable via the onboard controls or external MIDI program change messages.”

It would probably be more usable with regular pedals due to axe being so robust but for an expression pedal I haven’t seen one do all this and like I said I’d like to find compatible pedals for axe due to cpu limitations

As far as using a basic one with axe all I know is there’s an expression pedal block cause just hooking one up doesn’t really do anything.
There's no "expression pedal block".

The expression pedals are "external controllers" that are assigned as modifiers to parameters within effect blocks.

There's no "expression pedal block".

The expression pedals are "external controllers" that are assigned as modifiers to parameters within effect blocks.
Ok I got it figured out was really easy. Now I wonder what reflex can do that would be needed. Mapping parameters and midi are within the axe fx capabilities easily. The Reflex also says you can control your daw and switch presets. But idk if it’s 200$ cool. If it ment I could switch presets on the axe and not just presets on the expression pedal it would be worth it but it probably isn’t like that

It’s just cool tech and I’m trying to find something I can usefully partner with the axe fx besides a 650$ used preset midi switcher while I’d buy it in a heartbeat if it were cheaper I just can’t justify that price for a glorified preset switcher on steroids.

Even for 250$ you could get a morningstar mc6 midi controller and have midi capability plus basic preset up/down switching/scrolling

Back
Top Bottom