New owner intimidation

Exitetard

Inspired
my new used axe fx 2 xl should be here Wednesday but I’m trying to get a leg up I’m kind of intimidated. Last owner wouldn’t reset firmware and said he didn’t update it so I have no idea which it is and I’m trying to do a di hookup via xlr or 1/4 inch. My audio interface is m audio 2x2m and has female three pin xlr. No spdif

I have read a lot and still have no clue how to hook it up or use it. The manual isn’t coming with it (eBay) so could anyone tell me how or where to look to get instructions on hooking it up for recording and using it. I am selling my black spirit 200 which is awesome in its own right but I’ve wanted this thing ever since I heard the triple recto models. My setup is simple

One aforementioned audio interface
Two jbl lsr 305
One pc
A few pedals(h9s)

Don’t even know how to use midi did I bite off too much I am guessing I won’t even be able to get sound out of it

First off all......calm down :)

Yes it's kind of.....complex. Yes it will take some time before You get familiar with it.....but when it happen - and it WILL happen if You're motivated - You'll be completely happy with it, and Your eternal search and desire for new amps, will end :):) maybe :) at least for a long while.

But to adress your specific concerns:

If I were You, I would:

1. use the AXe-Fx as your interface. Connect it to Your PC via USB and connect Your speakers to the Axe.
2. download and install the driver fra the support pages
3. forget about the pedals - you don't need them.
4. make a simple preset with a drive pedal (Tube Screamer T808 OD), drive set to 0, the amp You want and a suitable cabinet. If you're in doubt about the cab, use number 57 (OH PR-H55...) or the Marshal TV mix 131.............

and You should be good to go - for a start.

Good luck.

Søren

Ok so what about this guys presets? I’m guessing there’s some way to factory restore or delete them and use fractal bot to update the firmware? I have no idea if I need to delete his I’m assuming they won’t work with mine. Also I have Seymour Duncan ceramic humbuckers I notice most ppl use actives with this thing I’m hoping it won’t change the sound much. They are the black metal type originally made for seven strings I think the output is like 17k

Ty guys. I’m stoked but this seller was uncooperative.

The reason I mentioned audio interface is cooper said to use the internal sound card on axe fx puts more cpu load and I love fx but could not afford the xl plus or axe 3

Take a look at what he left on there ... decide if you want to keep it.. I'd make a backup of it, regardless.
Use FB (FractalBot) to backup the entire unit - system, presets and cabs.
Then, use FB to load up the factory presets (Banks A-C) and leave bank D for your own presets.
If you plan to gig, then you can move your presets to BANK A (you can always re-load factory banks at any time) and use with a foot controller.
FB will also upgrade the firmware to the current (Ares 1.01 IIRC).
Then use AE (AxeEdit) to modify your presets.

PS: I still have the 2XL - did not upgrade to the 3 due to mostly playing bass these days.. PM with questions on hookup, etc.

PPS: User manual is available on the FAS website.

You could use Fractal Bot to back up the previous owner's presets, just in case you want to explore them at some point. My recommendation is to do that, then update the firmware (along with the latest factory presets). You'll find some very usable tones in the factory presets, and that will give you a sense of what the AxeFX is capable of delivering.
I also suggest that you use Axe-Edit as you go through the presets, as it will provide a visual representation of the amp / cabinet / effect blocks.

You're already doing the right thing. Everybody here started the same way... we bought this amazing gizmo, asked questions, read stuff on the forum, and asked more questions :)

Welcome to the AxeFX club!

Ty! The anticipation is killing me. I’ve been reading the wiki it helps a lot but I always think of more. Hughes and kettner turned me off when they refuse to tell paying customers what their new amp is made of

How is the reliability I read a few people having their units crap out. Usually I am afraid of digital cause of this reason.

Also as a newbie besides ownhammer what cab irs should I get I see on eBay people even selling their presets. I can pick a few chords out by ear as far as replicating tones I know my ear isn’t as good as these ear trainers.

One guy said good enough for Metallica good enough for me. It’s a weird feeling after reading these forums for years and wanting on since at least 2015 to be on the inside. You guys are so much nicer than TGP. They banned me nine times from one post and it was just a review

You’ll be playing it in five minutes. Welcome to the Fractal community :)
Get ready for your worldview to shift. Enjoy!

Here is a quick way to get up and running...

• Connect the XLR outputs on the back of Fractal to the inputs of your interface,
  • Plug your guitar into the instrument jack on the front.
  • To the left of the instrument input jack is the levels section: Out one and two, turn those down
  • Power on the unit
  • Push the button “recall” top right group of 12 buttons. This brings up presets
  • Turn up Out one and two, The ones that you just turned down.
  • Play guitar
  • Spin rotary dial to scroll through presets...and that’s it!

As far as what IR’s to get... ML Sound Labs

The Achilles’ heel of the Fractal... the IR.
Getting the proper impulse responses is critical.

You guys are so much nicer than TGP. They banned me nine times from one post and it was just a review
TGP is a bit of a cluster at times.. fanboi's and all that. Everyone is an expert! I quit going there due to it.
You'll mostly get folks on here willing to help you - especially as a noob.
The most common issue with teh Axe is that if CAN be very deep and complex - if you want it to.
My advice (other than what I already posted) is this.. load up the factory presets and play thru them. Find ones you like and use their settings as a baseline for building your own (or not).
If not. .start with an amp, then a cab, then add in other effects.
DO NOT TWEAK the advanced parameters until you are comfortable with the unit, what they do, or you can get into deep water.
Stick with the main page BASIC settings on each block for now, and above all. RTFM if you don't understand what something does!

upload_2019-5-24_12-51-8.png

How is the reliability I read a few people having their units crap out. Usually I am afraid of digital cause of this reason.

I owned an AxeFX II XL for several years, and toured all over with it (I sold it after purchasing the AxeFX III). I also own an AX8 and four Fractal Audio expression pedals. I am a professional player, and have never had a single problem with any of my Fractal gear. That doesn't mean problems will never happen, but the reliability of Fractal gear is extremely high, and the customer support is stellar.

In my opinion: digital gear is very reliable in general, and Fractal Audio builds extremely high quality digital gear. Look at the Fractal artist page. Those players can have ANY equipment they want, and they choose Fractal Audio. They are betting their livelihood on the capability and reliability of their equipment.

This is all good stuff. So lm glad I didn’t get a helix those scribble strips almost suckered me in but in the end it’s all about sound for me.

I’m dedicated to learn it. I have a maschine mark3 for drums and effects and I needed that hi gain sound I haven’t heard anywhere short of an expressive triple recto and the 5150 is cheaper but no attenuation and crappy recording options. One last question is sodif the highest quality option? I don’t have a sound card in my pc so I’d have to get one with spdif

If you're just starting out the the II, I would also recommend updating to the last firmware update, to use as your starting point. It's damned good, IMO, and incorporates as many of Cliff's endless innovations in the name of accuracy as will fit within the hardware limitations of the unit. If you start there, with factory presets as a starting point, I'm guessing you'll be up and running in no time. It really just becomes so much fun to sit and play, and play, and play.

Well I already like cliff as opposed to h&k or line 6 their CS has been wretched for me

Does anyone here use it with maschine I sit for hours with that thing crazy to turn 30 seconds of drums into a whole songs from inspiration I’m hoping axe fx does that for me with guitar. I’m a big fan of digitized fuzz like ramstein used.

Also I’m always trying to improve my playing and song construction with critiques. I’m bar far not a pro with maschine I can barely finger drum and I don’t think it sounds too synthetic is this a good medium to post my songs to for critique only my fiancée and mother have heard them. Not exactly unbiased. Well till my fiancé gets passed anyhoo

Welcome Excitard!
Good times eh :)

Try not to read too much into it - when I took the jump, I learned that while complex presets are possible, you can get exceptional sounds from just an amp, cab, and reverb.
Open axedit, open a blank preset, and treat (the blank preset window in axedit) it like a stage - ie; drop an amp on it, a cab, a reverb, then connect them all together and start mucking around with it. If you want some delay after a while, drop a delay block in....the sky is the limit. You will love it...the axe fx 2 is exceptionally good unit that sounds amazing.
Also - if you want a head start, grab @austinbuddy presets for genuine amp & cab emulations, and @Moke presets for gig ready stuff.
Please keep us posted and feel free to ask anything.
Thanks
Pauly

Also looking for a non sub site for buckethead tabs with 259 plus records out I have a hard time finding very specific tabs and while I have videos from my phone at a concert I can make out about 15% of what’s played

Also looking for a non sub site for buckethead tabs with 259 plus records out I have a hard time finding very specific tabs and while I have videos from my phone at a concert I can make out about 15% of what’s played
Get some software that lets you slow down the songs but keep original pitch.. lots out there.. I have been using Transcribe! for years to learn licks, leads and bass lines :)
Not affiliated with them in any way, other than being a long-time satisfied, licensed customer :)

Back
Top Bottom