New Old Guitar Day

Tonedeaf

Power User
A new toy for my FM3. I've always had a weakness for off the grid guitars and I've always liked the double cut Tele shape. It's very classy to me and I'm surprised you don't see it more often. So I grabbed this for 250. Conn CSE-7. Made in Japan in 1979-80. Very little info on Conn Guitars but it's all good. The mini switches are a coil tap and a preamp boost. There's a battery in the control rout. B3B643DF-D9E3-4750-A1FA-E383150D6D57_1_201_a.jpeg

Funny, I was thinking that the headstock reminded me of my buddy's Aria Pro II from back in the day.

Did some Google-fu and found this website:

https://www.connguitars.org/

Which says this (although may be in reference to acoustic guitars).

After 1972, Aria factories (who produced Yamaha guitars under contract to Yamaha) may have succeeded in gaining some of the Conn business, and may have made several models under contract to Conn (Conn branded). Some sources state that Matsumoku built almost all Conn acoustic guitars after 1972--but this is unsubstantiated. There are few records that exist about Conn's history before 1981 because, according to the Conn-Selmer company, all records of that era "were destroyed". Any and all remaining information, including catalogs and brochures about the former company are in the hands of private individuals. Research into the 9-year Conn guitar history is somewhat inhibited by these limiting factors, and information becomes increasingly difficult to obtain as former employees of that era are aging, and others are either no longer alive, or may not remember. Additional information may be included in various books that are for sale in the open market--many of which have been consulted (but probably not all).

I have an Aria Pro II CT Series that I love, and yes, the headstock shape is very similar. I think the CT stood for "carve top". It's like a poor man's Pensa Suhr. So if Aria made guitars for Conn, that's good news. I just bought the Conn. Hopefully I'll get it by the end of the week, and I'll give a review. Here's the Aria CT. Mini switches turn the pickups on/off for any combination, plus the tone control pulls out for a coil tap.

F7E1DFD5-E1B1-4297-9F44-9DC9254568F7.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom