New Ola Englund Axe-Fx III video. Axe-Fx III - BEST OF THE BEST?

Depends on whose IR is being used. Ive noticed these can range significantly. And I am always looking for bigger and better because there really isnt a lot available out there on the market that ive heard thats worth raving about but 3sigma has caught my ear so far as having the fullest sound. Does anyone have recordings available to hear with an afx3 with 3 sigma IRs?

Yeah, it certainly sounds better in the video the brief moment when he's demonstrating the direct mic so I'm leaning towards that as the 'issue'. Maybe it sounded really good in his room but the final result of tone for most of the video is kinda lacklustre. It's a little surprising.

I don't think personally blaming Ola's very constructive, the dude's always been positive about Fractal, used their products and whilst his channel is largely Q&A videos recently I think some of his best tones have been within the last two years. It's more interesting to speculate how a person with such experience can end up with a (subjectively) bad tone with this piece of gear but (usually) not with others, what pitfalls others may want to avoid etc. I definitely think the orange ambient mic is the main culprit, I wonder if being situated away from the monitors he's presumably using made that seem better, normally when doing modellers/plugins direct he's in front of the computer or with headphones.

To be honest, I didn't liked any of his samples at all. Through my monitors they sounded muffled and somehow fizzy at times. It's sad because I know both Ola and the AFX III can produce waaaaay better tones than this.

Completely agree he should do more videos with it, it's just that maybe it wasn't the best tones to showcase "The best of the best". IMHO, of course...

The amount of time he puts into gear reviews/demos these days isn't what it once was. Far less time is given so he can produce much more content. That's just the way it is with YT if you actually want to maintain your income there.

Not surprised stuff like this winds up coming across as not very good. Same thing happened with Fluffs review. Barely scratched the surface, but hey, content creators gotta create... I guess.

AFAIK he mainly uses the Fractal stuff for his live rig. And live you definitely don't want as much top-end as you do in the studio. At those SPLs it's gonna be super hard on the ears, so I can see why he'd dial in something a bit muffled.

, the axe 3 is the best amplifier of 2020 - hands down, by leaps and bounds

I would say the best all in one unit to consolidate real estate and streamline setup and routing for live, but my H8000FW is not going anywhere and neither are my plans for Synergy preamp modules for sure with the Axe 3's fx loop, and neither are my plans for grabbing the STR Tonality plug-ins which I believe are the best in the industry.

But for the price, the axe fx 3 is a no-brainer for what you are getting. I just still have yet to decide which rack its going in - the one in the desk in front of me or the side rack. If I do get the cash for the 3 sooner than my spot for an FM3 comes up.

I would say the best all in one unit to consolidate real estate and streamline setup and routing for live, but my H8000FW is not going anywhere and neither are my plans for Synergy preamp modules for sure with the Axe 3's fx loop, and neither are my plans for grabbing the STR Tonality plug-ins which I believe are the best in the industry.

But for the price, the axe fx 3 is a no-brainer for what you are getting. I just still have yet to decide which rack its going in - the one in the desk in front of me or the side rack. If I do get the cash for the 3 sooner than my spot for an FM3 comes up.
Absolutely

The video is okay, he made the choice of making some kind of conclusion video first and wants to make more focused and detailed videos afterwards.
The sound was indeed average, I honestly think it's a matter of personnal or physical preference, since ola always goes for the same kind of sounds and tweakings, maybe it's even an hearing loss consequence !

He had the thing for a couple of days. It took me a couple of weeks of coming from an Axe 2 before I could reset my thinking and default tweaks to start getting better tones. I look forward to more videos. It’s always interesting to see how other people use it.

Back
Top Bottom