New odd Gem: Ambrosia.

electronpirate

Axe-Master
Only vaguely familiar with these guys as one of the pack of 70's soft rock for the most part. But I heard 'Holding on to Yesterday' on the radio, and thought, 'holy schnikey, there are some MUSICIANS there'.

So I dig a little deeper, and they are really at heart prog rockers, who adopted the pop theme for their most popular songs.

Really liking this one. I hear Crimson, ELP, Yes in there.

This one is my favorite. They clearly tried to meld pop sentiments into a prog framework. You can hear Alan Parson's production with a tinge of dark Beach Boy's and/or Beatles vocal background vocals. The band Kansas might not admit it, but this sounds like what they were shooting for. (That keyboardist is a MONSTER...search 'Chopin ambrosia on Youtube to see just how silly good he is.)

I remember hearing this album way back when and thinking the same thing. Somebody had bought it for the hits, and we were pretty blown away by the rest. Hidden gem indeed!

The vox and first section of the first track remind me of some of the stuff on Bruford's Gradually Going Tornado (which came out 5 yrs later).

Ambrosia was a great band. Excellent musicianship and singing. Very progressive songwriting as well. I was, and remain, a fanboy.

This was a new one for me. Good stuff! Must dig deeper.

Reminds me a little of a Finnish prog legend Wigwam:

Ambrosia was a staple of my musical diet back in the '70s and early '80s. Very strong musically, both playing and songwriting, and the production was always great. Just about wore a couple of their LPs out.

From a guitar player's perspective, this was back in the day where the quality of notes mattered more than the quantity.

Last edited:
Only vaguely familiar with these guys as one of the pack of 70's soft rock for the most part. But I heard 'Holding on to Yesterday' on the radio, and thought, 'holy schnikey, there are some MUSICIANS there'.

So I dig a little deeper, and they are really at heart prog rockers, who adopted the pop theme for their most popular songs.

Really liking this one. I hear Crimson, ELP, Yes in there.

This one is my favorite. They clearly tried to meld pop sentiments into a prog framework. You can hear Alan Parson's production with a tinge of dark Beach Boy's and/or Beatles vocal background vocals. The band Kansas might not admit it, but this sounds like what they were shooting for. (That keyboardist is a MONSTER...search 'Chopin ambrosia on Youtube to see just how silly good he is.)

Actually, Kerry Livgren and David Pack are pretty tight. I was fortunate to become friends with Kerry when he helped start our church and it wasn't uncommon for David Pack or other friends of Kerry's show up for church and then go to Kerry's house afterward to hang out and maybe jam a little.

Actually, Kerry Livgren and David Pack are pretty tight. I was fortunate to become friends with Kerry when he helped start our church and it wasn't uncommon for David Pack or other friends of Kerry's show up for church and then go to Kerry's house afterward to hang out and maybe jam a little.

This is very cool! Although they were *somewhat* scorned abit by the prog crowd, I still love Kansas music. Kerry is an incredible songwriter.

David Pack also sang vocals on a few Alan Parsons songs.
After I got into Ambrosia a few years ago I got into David Pack's solo material. The guy has a knack for crafting excellent hooks, harmonies and melodies.

Ambrosia:
Holdin' On To Yesterday
How Much I Feel
Biggest Part Of Me
You're The Only Woman
Livin' On My Own

Alan Parson's David Pack (vocal) from Try Anything Once LP
The Three Of Me
I'm Talkin' To You

In a way I like the David Pack solo stuff even more. To me its about songs and "feels" more than Prog. Although I love Prog too!
Checkout " I Just Can't Let Go" featuring James Ingram & Micahel McDonald

Whenever I call up Ambrosia on my backing tracks the audience never fails to sing along!

Great awesome band!! Memories galore!

By the way, I was also a latecomer to this band. I listened to their best of and was like ...whoah... "That was them too?"

Back
Top Bottom