New modeler from Strymon

Maybe as a small backup rig?

Interesting how they describe their modeling process... Sounds like Fractal.

Also interesting that of the included IRs that some are from cabIR, which no longer exists if memory serves correctly.

It's a pretty incomplete backup rig for someone using a Fractal or any other current modeler. As a stand-in for when your amp blows and you just need something to use with your existing board, I'm sure it'd be ok.

interesting.

i don't immediately dislike some of the tones. 3 amps with just BMT controls. interesting choice for the highest gain amp.

i'd be interested in the Vox model only. it's small. i need to check out what kind of control and switching it has. i see midi/expression 1/4" out.

but with no effects at all, this is kinda useless for me, as i don't have any other pedals.

modeling is DEFINITELY the way the industry is going, in a big way, more than ever. just had a chat about all this with the staff at the local music store i use to GM. next thing you know, evans drumheads are gonna have an amp modeler haha.

ok i just checked out the manual. pretty simple functionality. the amp models have modifications to adjust things a bit farther than the originals go.

but due to lack of menus and no editor, you have to memorize a ton of "hold this while powering up" to adjust modes for different situations. i guess people would mostly have to do this just once, but that's kinda rough. there are 300 preset locations, but you'd need MIDI to access them. with their 3-button switch, you can have 4 presets on call. but it's just changing the amp model, nothing else.

eh, this might be useful for some. and now people can have a strymon-only board.

Last edited:
I think they missed the boat charging 399. The atomic firebox is killer at 299 and with 20% coupon you score a HX stomp for 479.

interesting.

i don't immediately dislike some of the tones. 3 amps with just BMT controls. interesting choice for the highest gain amp.

i'd be interested in the Vox model only. it's small. i need to check out what kind of control and switching it has. i see midi/expression 1/4" out.

but with no effects at all, this is kinda useless for me, as i don't have any other pedals.

modeling is DEFINITELY the way the industry is going, in a big way, more than ever. just had a chat about all this with the staff at the local music store i use to GM. next thing you know, evans drumheads are gonna have an amp modeler haha.

ok i just checked out the manual. pretty simple functionality. the amp models have modifications to adjust things a bit farther than the originals go.

but due to lack of menus and no editor, you have to memorize a ton of "hold this while powering up" to adjust modes for different situations. i guess people would mostly have to do this just once, but that's kinda rough. there are 300 preset locations, but you'd need MIDI to access them. with their 3-button switch, you can have 4 presets on call. but it's just changing the amp model, nothing else.

eh, this might be useful for some. and now people can have a strymon-only board.

I reckon the old 'MUST HAVE TUBES' dinosaurs will never change, but there's a whole new generation of kids who've grown up on computers and smartphones and ipads to whom digital is not a dirty word who are OK with modelers, rather then the whole classic all tube rig.

Seems aimed more at Strymon effects owners wanting to try out modeling without leaving their pedalboards behind than at existing modeling technology users.

Eventually people will wake up that instead of having a whole expensive pedal board with lots of Strymon boxes, power supplies, cabling and now Strymon modeling, you could just as easily, if not more so, go for an Axe FX or Helix and spare yourself a lot of hassle with an all in one solution.

giphy.gif

meh...… better, more powerful solutions available in that price range. Aimed at diehard strymon fans imo which if fine but doesn't interest me.

Strymon make great stuff and I've always been curious to see whether they'd enter the modelling market. On the flip side I'd love to see Fractal package the DelayMultidelay/Plex Delay into a two or three switch stompbox and take on the Strymon/Eventide crowd. Then again an FM3 used for effects only would do what several of the big Strymon boxes do.

It's actually not what I expected from them (not really sure what I expected, come to think of it).

I remember talking about a Strymon modeler over on TGP a bit, many years ago. Stymon makes really cool stuff, and this seems like another neat product for them to finally add.

Back
Top Bottom