New ML USA Djent cab pack - short rock/metal piece for a horror film (no djenting though, sorry)

I used EZDrummer2 for the drums.
This kit is a combination of the Progressive and Metal Machine expansions.
Basically its the Default DW Kit from the Progressive EZX and I switched out the snare to the Sonor Artist Bronze from the Metal Machine EZX.
I also used hihats, a splash and a china from Metal Machine.

The bass is based (no pun intended) on a preset posted a year or two ago by @SeeD (check his stuff out, its kickass).
When I first got my XL+ I found the bass tone to be the hardest thing to get right. I had no clue. His preset work really great and I changed a few things to fit my gear and taste.
The IR is ML USA Bass MD421 D 10 from the beta test. I'd imagine it made it into the final pack.
My bass is a G&L L-2500 Tribute and it sounds great for my thing.
In post I used a compressor, a distortion plugin called "DaTube" to add a little dirt and warmth, then a little EQ to bump the mids a little at about 1.4k just to pop through the mix a little.

That's it.

Here's the preset (I never updated it with firmware upgrades but it still works for me).
Once again, credit goes to @SeeD for the original preset that I based this on.

Thank you for your time explaining all this.

OK, I got it slightly wrong.
Gain at 5
Bass at 3.5

The rest was right.

Here's the preset I used (XL+ Q8.02)
I used scene 1 only on this recording and tracked the left side with SM57-M160 AB and the right side with SM57-M160 BB as previously mentioned.
The preset has a couple of Recto1 Red and HBE amps in it, so feel free to play with it all.

Hi @shaunb
did you mix those ir's with cab lab?

thanks!

Hi @shaunb
did you mix those ir's with cab lab?

thanks!
I used IRs from the Alloys folder.
I tracked the left rhythm guitar with SM57-M160 AB. Then a second rhythm track on the right with SM57-M160 BB.

I didn't have to mix any IRs, these were both straight out of the box.

I am going to have a play with Cab Lab this weekend though. Might try blending Misha Mix #2 with SM57-M160 AB, those are my two favourites so far from this pack.

There are a couple of SM57-R121 IRs I love too, might blend a little bit of one of those in as well for fun.

Great one.

Have you ever played Quake 2? It had an amazing soundtrack, included songs similar to yours.

I used IRs from the Alloys folder.
I tracked the left rhythm guitar with SM57-M160 AB. Then a second rhythm track on the right with SM57-M160 BB.

I didn't have to mix any IRs, these were both straight out of the box.

I am going to have a play with Cab Lab this weekend though. Might try blending Misha Mix #2 with SM57-M160 AB, those are my two favourites so far from this pack.

There are a couple of SM57-R121 IRs I love too, might blend a little bit of one of those in as well for fun.

It took me quite a while to get through most of them. In the end I compared what I was using from the Zilla pack and A/B'd with my usual rhy patches. I'm still going at it since my ears can't take it and fatigue. :p Old age will get ya!

Great one.

Have you ever played Quake 2? It had an amazing soundtrack, included songs similar to yours.

I remember playing Quake and Doom many many years ago. Loved those games.

It took me quite a while to get through most of them. In the end I compared what I was using from the Zilla pack and A/B'd with my usual rhy patches. I'm still going at it since my ears can't take it and fatigue. :p Old age will get ya!

My ears are getting pretty old too.
Yeah, lots of stuff to go through. I like the Misha mixes and I generally gravitate to the SM57-M160 and SM57-R121 IRs, so those are my starting points.

I actually mixed Misha Mix #2 with Zilla All Mix in Cab Lab the other day. Sounds pretty cool, best of both worlds.

Last edited:
This just came to me. This riff reminds me of a Godsmack riff. :D The mix sounds a lot better though!
Godsmack hey. Wow, haven't listened to them in ages.
I hear where you're coming from there. I always really liked their guitar tones.

OMFG with that bass preset @shaunb , it blew me away!
It's a great preset that SeeD made. Once I changed some amp settings it was pretty much perfect for me.
He's the man, I could never have come up with this myself.

Back
Top Bottom