New Mix-test with Axe-fx II and SD 2.0

Hey guys,

As always, this forum has been a wonderful place where I can collect information from a bunch of dudes who know way, way, WAY more about the Axe systems than I do. I wanted to share this mix with you guys/gals and see what you thought about the whole product. There's no bass guitar in the mix as it is being repaired/replaced (as is explained in the link).

The amps used were the HBE and Das Metall - there's more information at the soundcloud link. I hope you all dig it. Any advice, constructive criticism, and kind words are much appreciated!

riff rock mix without bass guitar by Speculum Speculorum on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Well, I gave it a listen and decided there were some things with the drums I did not like.

Since I'm new to SD 2.0 I was using a mix of the SD 2.0 mixer and Logic mixing. I was using multi-out but this combo was pretty much destroying my sound. I screwed around a bit this morning and will upload a new mix this evening when I'm home from work. It sounds a lot warmer and all the drums speak a lot more.

Sounds better than most SD 2.0 mixes I've heard... Great job... Your track sounds almost exactly like Sleeping Beauty from A Perfect Circle...

Alright dudes and dudettes,

I messed around with levels, reverbs, etc. and have come to what I believe is a much better mix for this particular little ditty. The biggest thing was working with a transient designer on the snare and overheads, and changing some compression settings for the drum bus and output signal to make things a little more transparent and happy. This has been a good learning experience, and I will be moving onto new and better things now. Thanks if you give it a listen!

Riff rock mix no bass v4 by Speculum Speculorum on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Are you 'randomizing' the velocity of the drum notes? I just listened on my iPod and couldn't really tell much since I don't have headphones near me. I use SD 2.3.0 are you aware of the free update? I don't know what the difference is though. Which expansion packs do you have? What kit did you use for this track?

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

Actually, no. I'm not randomizing the velocities because I'm using the velocity controls in Logic 9's piano roll. I kept getting these weird peaks and dips against what I'd actually written in and then I figured out it was enabled. Is it considered normal to still use the randomizing feature if one is doing it that way? It seemed a little redundant if I'd already pre-figured my own velocities to have something working against what I'd written.

sounds great, 2nd link is definitely better sounding. at the drum fill around 12-14 seconds, be careful with the velocities of the notes... some stuck out too much like they were 127 all of a sudden here and there.

but the fill around 34 seconds was great so i know you know!

In Pro Tools 9 I can randomize velocities in a predetermined range. For metal I randomize between 118 and 124 for snare a kick. I find that if I change the snare I have to adjust the velocity.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

Ah, I understand. Nope - I'm way too much of an anal-retentive music composer to go that route. I have a pretty specific vision in my head of what I want to come out (even if it's a dumb little thing like this one), and it bugs me if what I wrote in doesn't come out "right", you know?

Back
Top Bottom