New Mission Io?

Doesn't specify on the literature that came with it, would opening up the back of it be an indication? I know nothing about this stuff, happy to check for you guys though :)
Can you see through the grill cloth? If there is only 1 speaker/driver visible, it's almost certainly coaxial... But you'd have to open it up to 100% confirm it.

EDIT: Not coaxial. See @Sean Ashe's post below this!

Quoting this review article it says:

The GM-Io is an FR/FR (full range/flat response) stage monitor that houses a 12" neodymium speaker for lows, a 1" titanium driver for highs, and a 450-watt class-D amplifier to power it all.

The Sweetwater page for it also says:

1" coaxial high-frequency compression driver provides extended-range sound up to 20kHz

(all emphasis mine)

They use a coaxial speaker in the Gemini so it seems reasonable to assume that same speaker would be in the Io, right? Here's a speaker shot from the Gemini that I lifted from Cooper's YouTube review of it:

Screen_Shot_2017-12-26_at_10_05_31_AM.png

Last edited:
Here you go :)

Thanks Sean! I suspected as such from the Mission Engineering website, "circular horn" seemed a funny way of describing a coaxial speaker. Thanks for confirming, not coaxial.

I don't see much of a horn on the tweeter though, must be tiny. I doubt it has much directivity control around the crossover range.

Thanks Sean!

I’m really surprised. It seems the prevailing opinion is that co-axial is better than separated, plus they already had the co-ax Gemini as a precedent. Why step backwards? Hmm.

Thanks Sean!

I’m really surprised. It seems the prevailing opinion is that co-axial is better than separated, plus they already had the co-ax Gemini as a precedent. Why step backwards? Hmm.

Simplicity and cost I would imagine. A Coaxial design just makes so much more sense especially for a guitar sound, Mission dropped the ball on this one for sure.

There’s a review of it over at the My Les Paul forum. Two guys bought them and returned them pretty quickly actually.

I can’t post links yet, but it’s in the amp modeling sub forum, thread is called “NCD-Mission Engineering GM-lo”

After more time with it, the tones just don't seem to translate that well to the sources I feel comfortable working with. My friend had wanted me to sell it for him so I'll be popping it up on reverb soon.

Kind of having a hard time figuring out what option to go with now though, I see the clr is available again.. but i dont want to be let down by all the hype too haha

After more time with it, the tones just don't seem to translate that well to the sources I feel comfortable working with. My friend had wanted me to sell it for him so I'll be popping it up on reverb soon.

Kind of having a hard time figuring out what option to go with now though, I see the clr is available again.. but i dont want to be let down by all the hype too haha

I seriously doubt it will be a let down Sean it's a great solution and for what they are charging now for the Neo it's a no brainer!

Back
Top Bottom