New Mesa Boogie JP-2C John Petrucci Amp Video

Too bad they put the cab clone piece of shit in that amp. Not that anybody has to use it, but seriously mesa, nobody likes it. Everybody I talked to at NAMM doesn't like it, Rob Chappers even said despite his video on it, he personally doesn't like it. It's garbage. Why put it IN that amp? lol Just let it go already.

It sounds good, but it's nothing my XL can't do...

Exactly.

While I'm not a fan of Dream Theater or JP's style in particular, and not a Boogie expert by far, I took a shot at the sounds.

Here's what I came up with (no time for clips, and afraid to be compared to JP ...).

Stock cab 73 is a little too bright for the sounds in the video, so I combined 73 with 105 (EV-12L) in a stereo cab.

In beta 3, I get far better results with PRE LD2 YLW than with IIC+, so I used the PRE.

For the CRUNCH tone:
Input Drive 7.50
Overdrive 7.50
Bass 1.00
Mid 4.00
Treble 5.50 (BRT is on)
Presence: SHIFT is on (important), 3.00
Master: 3.00
EQ: 9.4 / -5 / -11 / 1.6 / 5
Everything else: default.

For the LEAD tone:
Input Drive 7.50
Overdrive 10
Bass 1.00
Mid 4.00
Treble 5.00 (BRT is on)
Presence: (SHIFT is off) 5.00
EQ: 7 / -2.6 / -7 / 1.6 / 5

I'm not saying it's exact, but it gets you in the ballpark.
Of course everything depends on your guitar, so adjust where needed.

And for the CLEAN tone:

same cab.
AMP: USA CLEAN.
Everything at default except:
Mid 2.4
Treble 6
Master 5
and Output Level turned up a lot.

Like a total nerd, I set up to watch this video with my guitar in hand through my Axe and found that this is indeed a very different beast then the IIc+ that is modeled in the Axe Fx. Not sure I am in love with the tones he gets here though...

It sounds good, but it's nothing my XL can't do...

Yeah feel the say way (in my case an Axe Fx II Mark I)

I was a little surprised on this forum, users had that knee jerk reaction to get this amp.

A friend of mine who has a Kemper also had that same reaction.

It looks like a great amp! (except for the Cab Clone) but it is just a very versatile C+ with 1 or 2 extra bells and buzzers.

At least that is the way I look at it.

John

Maybe it's just me, but it sounds rather muffled and wooly in the video. Is it mic'd or are they using the cab clone out? Just seems to be quite lacking in clarity and cut.

There are a couple mics on the 1x12 cab, and the dude in the back appears to be taking the sound.
never mind

Last edited:
Exactly.

While I'm not a fan of Dream Theater or JP's style in particular, and not a Boogie expert by far, I took a shot at the sounds.

Here's what I came up with (no time for clips, and afraid to be compared to JP ...).

Stock cab 73 is a little too bright for the sounds in the video, so I combined 73 with 105 (EV-12L) in a stereo cab.

In beta 3, I get far better results with PRE LD2 YLW than with IIC+, so I used the PRE.

For the CRUNCH tone:
Input Drive 7.50
Overdrive 7.50
Bass 1.00
Mid 4.00
Treble 5.50 (BRT is on)
Presence: SHIFT is on (important), 3.00
EQ: 9.4 / -5 / -11 / 1.6 / 5

For the LEAD tone:
Input Drive 7.50
Overdrive 10
Bass 1.00
Mid 4.00
Treble 5.00 (BRT is on)
Presence: (SHIFT is off) 5.00
EQ: 7 / -2.6 / -7 / 1.6 / 5

I'm not saying it's exact, but it gets you in the ballpark.
Of course everything depends on your guitar, so adjust where needed.

And for the CLEAN tone:

same cab.
AMP: USA CLEAN.
Everything at default except:
Mid 2.4
Treble 6
Master 5
and Output Level turned up a lot.
These settings were a great starting point! Thanks for sharing!!

The chanel 3 seems to have more gain. Do you think it has the IIC++ mod or something unless it's the shred switch who does this ?

Amazing player.....BUT the tones in that clip are nothing special IMO - easily achievable on the AF2 ;)

Back
Top Bottom