New Matrix Q12s, Foreshadowing?

maschoff

Experienced
Just got a new pair of Matrix Q12s yesterday and was playing music last night through them to break'em in.

20130420_103606a.jpg

When I woke up this morning and went to my man cave, this song was playing David Lee Roth - Damn Good - YouTube

Then this song played :) Pantera - The Art Of Shredding - YouTube

Thanks Matt and Pamela and everyone at Matrix Amplification, these Q12s sound unreal, can't wait to play today :)

P.S. The QSC K12s are for sale, if anyone is interested :)

Just got a new pair of Matrix Q12s yesterday and was playing music last night through them to break'em in.

View attachment 15555

When I woke up this morning and went to my man cave, this song was playing David Lee Roth - Damn Good - YouTube

Then this song played :) Pantera - The Art Of Shredding - YouTube

Thanks Matt and Pamela and everyone at Matrix Amplification, these Q12s sound unreal, can't wait to play today :)

P.S. The QSC K12s are for sale, if anyone is interested :)

Hi there,
Glad you are enjoying the Q12's :)
I shall pass your thanks onto Pam and Andy.
My best regards
Matt

So if you don't mind, just curious what swayed your decision to go with the Matrix Q12 over an Atomic CLR?

Size, weight, and the fact that I can adjust the volumes from my rack had a huge influence on my decision, but so did the frequency response. I plan to use these with guitar, bass, keyboards and vocals. I will post samples later that I will record with my Edirol R-09. From what I heard so far through searches the Q12s were the right choice for me. Last night, I asked my wife to listen to them and she was like alright, but once she sat down, I couldn't get her to move, she was smiling :)

Reactions: Ole
Looks like you should have been playing 'Chains' by Fleetwood Mac through them ;)

(edit: thats the sig tune the bbc use for F1 show)

Just got mine last week! Sounds awesome with my GT800FX. How loud do you play music through them and for how long before it opens up? And is this procedure a must for the speaker to sound it's best? Thanks!

Just got mine last week! Sounds awesome with my GT800FX. How loud do you play music through them and for how long before it opens up? And is this procedure a must for the speaker to sound it's best? Thanks!

After about 10 hours they start to open up.

I just ran music through them from my computer iTunes). It does not have to be loud at all. It is more the mechanical action of the speaker vibrating that loosens them up.

Last edited:
Sorry for so many questions but I get so confused with all of the choices/options out there. So the Q12 is passive and you are using it with a Matrix poweramp correct? Just wondering because I currently have a GT1000FX.

Ok, here's my Fender Classic Player 50s Strat MIM w Kinman Woodstock + PUs and K9 Harness recorded with my Edirol R-09 in room. https://soundcloud.com/michael-aschoff/matrix-powered-2x12s-and-2 ... just trying to give you guys a general taste of the menu, no special playing here so please forgive :)

Axe-FX II, Scene1: ODS-100 Clean w Factory cab #105, Scene 2: 5153 Red w Messiah 2 cab via Output 1 to a Matrix GT1000FX to two Matrix Q12s.

The Axe's FX Loop is pre-cab block and Output 2 goes to a mixer. The mixer send/returns are used to mix in parallel a Strymon BlueSky and Timeline. The Control Room outs of the mixer supply a Matrix GT1500FX that powers 2 traditional 2x12 cabs with Eminence Man O Wars on top and Texas Heats on bottom. Oh and some Area-51 wah :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ole
Hi there,

These are the Q12's
q12a-1.jpg

and these are the CFR12's
cfr12-new-March-2013-2small.jpg

Hope that helps.
Best regards
Matt

Hows the dispersion on them? Equal sound wherever you stand in the room? Have you heard the Atomic's yet and able to compare the dispersion between the two?

Hows the dispersion on them? Equal sound wherever you stand in the room? Have you heard the Atomic's yet and able to compare the dispersion between the two?

I think it's excellent, the separation is very good and placement is easy. Haven't heard the Atomics but they are bigger and heavier, which isn't good in earthquake country, and more expensive, and rated to a higher power ... I'm deaf enough :) But the Atomics are stated to have slightly higher separation.

Thanks Matt for the reply!

So, other than the obvious convenient differences between an actual wedge at your feet and a cab behind you, etc. are there any big tonal differences between the CFR12 and Q12? Does one have bigger low end, dispersion, etc., etc. or are they basically the same product with a different "shell" to accommodate different gig situations?

Thanks Matt for the reply!

So, other than the obvious convenient differences between an actual wedge at your feet and a cab behind you, etc. are there any big tonal differences between the CFR12 and Q12? Does one have bigger low end, dispersion, etc., etc. or are they basically the same product with a different "shell" to accommodate different gig situations?

From what I understand, the Q12s have the punch and the CFR12s have the air. I just want the flexibility of having both, to stack them, to use the CFRs for a completely dry stereo center. I'll post a loop of each once I get the CFR12s next month.

Back
Top Bottom