New Matrix power amp coming?

ahhhh i just ordered my GT800FX last night... Still, im sure it will do everything i hope it will and not be too overshadowed by this 'not 1U' product....

I heard this new machine will be a GT1000FX, same specs as the GT800FX. But 2X500 watts instead of 2X400watts.
When using two 200 watt speakers do you really need the 1000 watts? or will you be able to hear any difference with 800 watts?

Depends on how loud you need to get, of course. But you are more likely to blow up speakers by using an underpowered amp than a higher powered one (SS amp clipping is very hard on speakers.)

TT

Depends on how loud you need to get, of course. But you are more likely to blow up speakers by using an underpowered amp than a higher powered one (SS amp clipping is very hard on speakers.)

But when is a 800 watt power amp underpowered? Say you are using two 50, 100 or 200 watt speakers. I am a little confused by this. I have always played with combos so I never had to worry about this.

And is it also so that these poweramps sound the best on a high volume like most tube amps? or is that not the case with most poweramps?

But when is a 800 watt power amp underpowered? Say you are using two 50, 100 or 200 watt speakers. I am a little confused by this. I have always played with combos so I never had to worry about this.

And is it also so that these poweramps sound the best on a high volume like most tube amps? or is that not the case with most poweramps?

When your running at 8 or 16ohm, that 800w is reduced by a large amount. The same principles of "clean headroom" applies so that clipping etc doesn't become an issue.

Indeed. The 800 is max bridged power. Using single channel its 400w into 4 ohms. That equates to 250w into 8 or 140 ish into 16 ohms. as you need some headroom as well, driving a pair of 16 ohm 4x12s, one from each channel, the gt800 may not be enough.

You don't need them loud to get the best out of them, that's one of the pluses of ss amps. The fm curve, and sound pressure of high volumes still apply though.

ok, thanks for the info. So with two cabs each with one EVM12L speaker you don't really need the 1000 (2X500) watts?
I am also thinking about using the Axe II/Matrix for bass guitar. So that is another thing why I am not sure which one is the best for me.

Last edited:
ok, thanks for the info. So with two cabs each with one EVM12L speaker you don't really need the 1000 (2X500) watts?
I am also thinking about using the Axe II/Matrix for bass guitar. So that is another thing why I am not sure which one is the best for me.
Hey Bodde,
it all depends on how much volume you need. When i rehearsal with some friends, my 30 watt Lonestar special is more than enough. With the same cabinet, a more powerful amp (reacting to the cab in the same way) gives you the possibility to have more undistorted volume.
Just compare the volume you've got till now with some amps you've used. Of course the cab sensitivity makes a difference, at the same impedance a more sensitive cone/cab delivers more sound pressure.

As for the bass, I'd notice that low freqs tend to be less perceived by our ear, so it's not uncommon for a bass player to use a 1,000 or even 2,000 watt system in small combos as well. Furthermore, usually bass players want a very clean, undistorted, uncompressed sound even in the transients (popp&slapp for example), so more headroom can help. Again, it depends on how much sound pressure you need. Compare the figures with what you are/have experienced in your real life needs :)

EV12Ls are rated at 200W - so 400W into each would give enough headroom to drive them fully without getting any clipping. Hoewever, as the Matrix is 400w into 4 Ohms per channel, you would need 4 Oh speakers - and i think they are 8 or 16. if you get 8 Ohm versions then your still getting 250w into them which should be fine, but if there 16 Ohm drivers your going to be light on power I guess. Having said that - just cos they can handle 200w doesnt mean you have to feed them 200w.

Yup the 800 is pretty well matched the EVM's. Currently running on EVM on channel A and two Mesa black shadows on channel B, sounds great!

I am pretty sure that they will release a power amp that fits into the KPA rear compartment.
Yes ! That look very likely :) I just ordered my KPA and was thinking why nobody made the power amp for this unit so far..And I know they are going to make a midi controller first...so good idea :)

posted here:
"The future is liGhtweight and More than 50 people will enjoy it."

LOLLLLLL:lol

Lots of talk about 1KW amp which is not 1RU... That just doesn't sound right. 1KW in 1RU would be just a very small incremental improment. Clearly they are coming up with something more. It has to be at least 2KW per 2RU and with other improvements to how GT800FX works (sound, connectivity probably not, weight probably not).

I have never had tons of 4x12s on my stage. What is the real value of having e.g. 10 power amps instead of 5 power amps? Assuming they always fit into 10RU of space?

I would really like to understand what this is all about. My order for GT800FX is still pending. I'm still wondering whether this primarily about power or also about sound.

Back
Top Bottom