New Martin OM28Elrb a flop

Stratman68

Axe-Master
So, my new I i have had it since April 12th) has a crack from bridge to front-the seam . Of course the store and Martin immediately let me know that humidity related issues are NOT covered under warranty???? I have been in florida since 1972, I have owned no less than 20 different acoustic guitars. NONE EVER CARCKED. ever.
Total joke. Martin is a disgrace imho. Ok I'm done! BTW, the store I bought it from is in Reno, Nevada, talk about Humidity?

So, my new I i have had it since April 12th) has a crack from bridge to front-the seam . Of course the store and Martin immediately let me know that humidity related issues are NOT covered under warranty???? I have been in florida since 1972, I have owned no less than 20 different acoustic guitars. NONE EVER CARCKED. ever.
Total joke. Martin is a disgrace imho. Ok I'm done! BTW, the store I bought it from is in Reno, Nevada, talk about Humidity?
sorry to hear - bogus not to honour the warranty - descent acoustic is still on my list to get - taking note.

It looks very strange. I don’t think that in FL you have humidity problem that could take to a crack… Unfortunately they don’t have a good after sale policy (as FAS and G66 have 🤣🤣).
Note for myself: maybe it’s better to not consider Martin for the next acoustic.

What a disappointment. Usually that type of crack is caused by the guitar drying out too much but that obviously was not the cause given you live in FL. Even if the crack started due to poor humidity control at the store in Reno I wouldn't expect a humidity related crack to grow larger while in a humid climate.

I know that they are largely machine made, but I swear by my Taylor 800 series, specifically the 814CE. They are also very consistent from unit to unit.

What a disappointment. Usually that type of crack is caused by the guitar drying out too much but that obviously was not the cause given you live in FL. Even if the crack started due to poor humidity control at the store in Reno I wouldn't expect a humidity related crack to grow larger while in a humid climate.
ya - seems opposite - have to wonder what horrors happen to guitars while in guitar shops waiting to be sold.

I have a OMC-28 1990 Limited Edition that I had to have Pat Diburro perform neck surgery on because it was coming apart at the body. It's fine now but I still prefer the playability of the Taylor.

1654189395192.png

Last edited:
April 12th? Call your credit card company if the manufacturer or dealer is refusing to address it.

High humidity doesn't beget cracks, low humidity does. High humidity gets you swelling and warping. Sometimes that'll mean the bridge pops around the edges. This sounds like some shady shit from Martin and the dealer.

+1 to what @ruso said: if you bought it with a credit card, take it to them and they'll likely help you out.

sorry to hear - bogus not to honour the warranty - descent acoustic is still on my list to get - taking note.
Well they said AFTER stating humidity is NOT covered in warranty that the decision is made by a Martin warranty Luthier.

High humidity doesn't beget cracks, low humidity does. High humidity gets you swelling and warping. Sometimes that'll mean the bridge pops around the edges. This sounds like some shady shit from Martin and the dealer.

+1 to what @ruso said: if you bought it with a credit card, take it to them and they'll likely help you out.
Luthier, Martin suggested, in Florida says Humidity would cause this because the wood drys out and the 2 pieces (top of guitar) separate.

April 12th? Call your credit card company if the manufacturer or dealer is refusing to address it.
Paid cash thru paypal. The company denies all and says Martin will take care of it. They also advertised it as a 2022 and Martin says it is a 2021.

It looks very strange. I don’t think that in FL you have humidity problem that could take to a crack… Unfortunately they don’t have a good after sale policy (as FAS and G66 have 🤣🤣).
Note for myself: maybe it’s better to not consider Martin for the next acoustic.
Exactly-Thanks....

Full Disclosure:
Martin Warranty Tech I talked to on the telephone was really down to earth and extremely knowledgeable.. He does lots of work for folks in Nashville. Has built and sold hundreds of his own guitars (all acoustics)Anyway he says if it is just the finish that is split any decent case humidifier will fix it over time. He is about 105 miles from me so worse case scenario I will make the trip.
I did NOT tell Martin what this guy said. Don't want to cause him any grief or whatever.
He also says it most likely happen in Reno nevada.....................
Thanks for all the comments guys! I mean the guitar is great, but better, more expensive guitars should be more reslient, NOT less resilient than cheaper made guitars. Paid $3,3000 with the reverb tax.

BTW: I have owned many, many acosutics, I started on acosutic around the year of the flood. Been in Florida since 71. NEVER , ever had any issues like this. Owned Guilds, Alvarez Yaris, Takamines, Martin d-35 (1971 model) And many more. All pretty high end.

Yup!

Wow - sorry to hear that. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence when companies don't stand behind their products.

In contrast, I went acoustic shopping a couple of years ago. I was pretty determined to get a Martin, but I ended up buying a Breedlove Oregon Concerto acoustic ($1700 discounted, $2200 list at the time). It spoke to me more than the Martins when I was trying out guitars in the store. After owning it for several months, the top started to warp and bridge raised up making the action abnormally high. I took it back to the dealer and we both had some communication with Breedlove and they ended up replacing the guitar with a new one. I've had no issues with the replacement and it's a very nice instrument. I was very pleased and impressed that they did that. That's the kind of support that will make me be brand loyal.

Bummer. Likely cracked beneath the surface in Reno and when it swelled
in Florida with the introduction of the humidity it burst through and split.

I believe with Paypal you have time to dispute the transaction with the seller.
That's what I would do. I would file a claim with Paypal and tell them what
happened in full disclosure.

Back
Top Bottom