New Mac Pro coming in the fall

One sobering fact with all of Apple's high end products in the past few years (iMac Pro and now new Mac Pro), is thinking of the guitars and outboard gear that I could buy with that money, knowing they will never be outdated. You could outfit a fully configured studio with a great mixing desk, or go with all rack gear - mic pres, compressors, eq, etc., a great set of monitors, audio interface, etc. Most of that stuff would likely increase in value over time. I'm thinking of the higher end of the projected price range, I've seen estimates of between $35-50K for a maxed out new Mac Pro.

Last edited:
I might consider this one day depending on the Australian price when it finally arrives. Current projects are bringing my iMac pro to it's knees.

Universal Audio
“The new Mac Pro is a breakthrough in recording and mixing performance. Thunderbolt 3 and the numerous PCIe slots for installing UAD plug-in co-processors pair perfectly with our Apollo X series of audio interfaces. Combined with the sheer processing power of the Mac Pro, our most demanding users will be able to track and mix the largest sessions effortlessly.” – Bill Putnam Jr., CEO, Universal Audio

Not everyone is going to need it "maxed out".
But if your delivery deadlines are directly proportional to the speed of your computer, then one just has to look at ROI rather than whether or not you need this to run Axe Edit!

I recently looked into getting a second AVID workstation for our editing bay, took a saunter down to HP.com and built my modestly powerful Z8 and it came up with a price of about $14,000!

I don't think the Mac Pro is that expensive. The old Cheese Grater (2008) was $3000 back then or so for a very basic configuration. The basic configuration on this beast walks all over my current Mix Room Mac Pro.

And I think we might finally have a contender to switch from Windows to Mac for our AVID bays.

And I think we might finally have a contender to switch from Windows to Mac for our AVID bays.

Avid:

“Avid’s Pro Tools team is blown away by the unprecedented processing power of the new Mac Pro, and thanks to its internal expansion capabilities, up to six Pro Tools HDX cards can be installed within the system – a first for Avid’s flagship audio workstation. We’re now able to deliver never-before-seen performance and capabilities for audio production in a single system and deliver a platform that professional users in music and post have been eagerly awaiting.” — Francois Quereuil, director of Product Management, Avid

https://www.apple.com/ne/newsroom/2...react-to-the-new-mac-pro-and-pro-display-xdr/

Avid’s Pro Tools team is blown away by the unprecedented processing power of the new Mac Pro

Yes. I mostly meant AVID Media Composer video editing.

I have a "Ashtray" Mac Pro in our Pro Tools rig and it is performing outstandingly.
On the video editing side, even with a top-of-the-line workstation, there's a need for more power. This might be it.

I agree the new Mac Pro is worth it's money when the ROI is guaranteed, but for the typical Apple consumer, sure thing it's absolutely crazy expensive...

My late 2010 Macbook Pro still gives me a run for it's money. I only upgraded it from 4 to 8 Gb RAM and only got into problems when I drown my mixing sessions with plugins (on VERY rare occasions) So it can't handle super heavy Grammy-winning workloads, but neither I can... :oops::p:rolleyes:

I'm thinking on upgrading to an iMac 5k or at least some sort of Mac mini (with 3rd party upgrades) just for the sake of keeping current with DAW and plugin updates, but i'll wait to see what 2020-21 brings to the table, I guess 10 years is a good timeframe for me to update my recording computer, I'm not even the kind of guy who changes cellphone until the thing is falling apart... LOL

The new Mac Pro or actually the Mac Pros since 2013 have been designed for video editors (and image editing), for audio you just need plenty of memory ands plenty of cores, no need for beefy GFX cards and few audio plugins use GPUs for DSP handling. They are not even that useful for development work for most developers, unless you build whole OS systems from zero.

My recommendation just now is to get a MacBookPro in the 2k range, maybe a used one. Yes the keyboard is flakey but you could use a bluetooth keyboard in the studio -- the current wireless Apple one is excellent. Or then use condensed air weekly to flow away the donut crumbs. And if the keyboard fails, Apple now has free update of the keys to their gen III version that has more protection for particles that sneak inside the tight spaces.

PS: Get a 4k 42" TV and a HDMI converter that handles 60fps and suddenly you have very crispy and big monitor. I got a Sharp/Roku 42" 4K TV from Best Buy sales for $280.

Last edited:
but for the typical Apple consumer, sure thing it's absolutely crazy expensive...
It’s not aimed at the non-pro market though. I’ll buy them by the truck load for work. I won’t put one on my desk at home.

This is exactly the audience Apple is aiming these at.

Still rocking my Oct 2011 MBP. I pumped the RAM to 16GB, big SSD, and I can't find a reason to move on. I got the "hi-res" matte display at the time, and it works great for this stuff.

If I wanted a workstation, I'd build one for a tiny fraction of what Apple is charging.

Yep, Logic and Ableton Live looks great in fullscreen 42" mode! This is from a 2017 MPB (the new generation).

Back
Top Bottom