New Mac or New Mac? Questions

Here's my 2 cents as a software engineer/music production nerd: go with the Intel Mac Mini. Some of the feedback I'm reading regarding CPU usage and compatability give me the impression that the M1 hardware is too new for audio production. I just retired a 2009 Mac Pro that was still running sessions and replaced it with a maxed out Mac Mini I expect will keep me making music towards the end of the decade. I'm hard pressed to get the new Mini to break a sweat even while streaming mid-sized sessions with a fair amount of plugins over Skype(which would normally melt my laptop).

They reverted the keyboard a while back. The MBP I bought in March has the older scissor key type.

The one I have issued by my employer is the butterfly type. I use an old Mac USB keyboard with it....
Yes, it changed in 2019. There are a lot of used 2015-2019 MacBooks with the butterfly which is what I was pointing out.

Google MacBook Pro keyboard and you'll get the story. There were a series of "butterfly" versions that were disliked / broke.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.macrumors.com/guide/butterfly-keyboard-vs-scissor-keyboard/amp/

Thanks. Which Mac would you get at this point? I want to get probably Logic and use my AX8 for recording and I have yet to determine which audio interface any suggestions). I don't want t o keep buy laptops :) My surface book keyboard d is giving probes within 2.5 years. What are pluses/minuses of MBP vs iMac?

Thanks. Which Mac would you get at this point? I want to get probably Logic and use my AX8 for recording and I have yet to determine which audio interface any suggestions). I don't want t o keep buy laptops :) My surface book keyboard d is giving probes within 2.5 years. What are pluses/minuses of MBP vs iMac?

If you're using Logic and not a lot of other apps, definitely go with the M1. You'll need an audio interface with an AX8, but very few audio interface drivers are available for apple silicon (RME and Metric Halo) at this point. Otherwise, use a class compliant audio interface like a MOTU M4 or a irig hd2.

I'd get a 2015 MacBook Pro 15" with dual graphics. That is the MacBook Pro 11,5 model:

https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=MacBookPro11,5

It scores a Geekbench 5 single-CPU score of 925, compared to 1095 for the 2019 16" Intel-based MBP (85% the speed). Multiprocessor is 3920 versus 6864 (57% the speed). So, you get somewhere between 60-85% the performance for ~$800-$1,000 versus ~$2,000 for a 2019 16" (the first one that got rid of the bad keyboard).

The 2015 Apple MacBook is currently authoritatively an 'out of date and rare item' Apple has formally added the absolute initial 12-inch MacBook to its rundown of one of a kind and old items. This additionally intends that there will be restricted help choices for proprietors.

Back
Top Bottom