New Lukeather tone

A lot of Luke's tone comes from the EBMM Luke III guitars with Dimarzio Transition pickups. I have two of these guitars and they don't sound like anything else - it's a very smooth tone. I used the Bogner Xtasy sim on the AxeII and can get pretty close - I also found a pick of Luke's rig that Mark Day had posted and got the settings off his amp from there.

I've been using the Bogner amp model, and the CAE3+ LEAD, and they're both good, with all 3 Luke model guitars. Personally I prefer the CAE with the EMG's for that smoother feel. The Bogner with the Transitions is a lot harsher on its own, but of course that cuts through the mix a bit more, so it depends on how you intend to use it.

My preset has the old sound (CAE) on AMP X, and the new sound (Bogner) on AMP Y

Edit: This is an XL preset. Also, the Volume block is attached to Ext2, so you may need to bypass that for the preset to work, and the wah is attached to Ext1.

Attachments

• CAE 3+SE Lead.zip
    10.5 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
hey craig, i tried opening your file and it says it has loadeded it in tempory memory . im not sure what that even means! and nothing comes up on the main screen of axe -edit. any thoughts?

anybody have a clue what im doing wrong? is there something im missing to do to load this file? ive got version 19 axe fx II xl+ . just wont load. ive loaded bundles before.

Load it up, then save the preset. Axe-edit will then ask you to specify user slot the IR gets saved to.
I had the problem where there was no sound initially. Check the modifier attached to the volume block. Save the IR to the slot of your choosing then check the cab block to make sure the correct slot is selected.

I think that there is something not right with how axe edit talks with this beta FW. In axe-manage, none of my user cabs were showing. All were saying "empty", but I knew they were there in the axe-fx, so I went and saved the bundle IR to user slot 20. So, what does Axe edit do? It went right ahead and dumped it in user slot 1.

I got the impression from somewhere that ultra res reduces cpu usage?

Cool patch by the way.

Thanks,
I'm using the cab block in global blocks, and a lot of my presets are close to 90%CPU, so I have the block set to Hi-Res. The times I've changed it to Ultra-res, it's tipped some of my presets over the edge, so to play safe, I've left it at Hi-res. Still sounds good enough for me. It's nice to have the option.

Load it up, then save the preset. Axe-edit will then ask you to specify user slot the IR gets saved to.
I had the problem where there was no sound initially. Check the modifier attached to the volume block. Save the IR to the slot of your choosing then check the cab block to make sure the correct slot is selected.

when i load up the patch , it shows nothing on the main screen of the axe-edit. a popup window comes up saying its in temp memory but i have nothing. i also tried loading it with axe manage.

I have a II

I've been using the Bogner amp model, and the CAE3+ LEAD, and they're both good, with all 3 Luke model guitars. Personally I prefer the CAE with the EMG's for that smoother feel. The Bogner with the Transitions is a lot harsher on its own, but of course that cuts through the mix a bit more, so it depends on how you intend to use it.

My preset has the old sound (CAE) on AMP X, and the new sound (Bogner) on AMP Y

Edit: This is an XL preset. Also, the Volume block is attached to Ext2, so you may need to bypass that for the preset to work, and the wah is attached to Ext1.

I have an AxeFx II

Which Bogner model do you use?

Amp-Y in the preset is Euro Red.

Lukather sticks to the Blue channel of his Ecstasy, but IIRC he boosts the input, so there probably won't be that much of a difference to the Red channel.

Amp-Y in the preset is Euro Red.

Lukather sticks to the Blue channel of his Ecstasy, but IIRC he boosts the input, so there probably won't be that much of a difference to the Red channel.

Yes that's right. I think he's using his signature 'Distillery' pedal at the moment. Hence, it was easier just to use the Red channel in the Axe-Fx to get the required amount of drive, but not TOO much.

Back
Top Bottom