New Line 6 FRFR cab - Powercab

Hmmmm. Took a closer look at the specs of the high end one..USB , presets and digital interface included..and “expandable” cab options..don’t know what that means, but if importation of user IRs is on the table then maybe. ....L6 has proven its strengths in UI and if it doesn’t sound like doody, might be worth a look.

To me the "expandable" cab options means that they might add more models of speakers to the 6 included over time. I think the Plus might be worth buying for that alone even though I don't really need the other features apart from the "switch speaker model on preset change" feature. If it works well it could be a good alternative to using the cab sims on my Axe-Fx 2.

FWIW, you can already do what this product promises to do with an Axe-Fx, some specific IRs, and an FRFR like a XiTone that allows you to turn off the tweeter.

But a cool product nonetheless. I like the cab form factor & kickstand.

FWIW, you can already do what this product promises to do with an Axe-Fx, some specific IRs, and an FRFR like a XiTone that allows you to turn off the tweeter.

But a cool product nonetheless. I like the cab form factor & kickstand.
They look great in person... The kickstand is cool.

Does anyone else not like the idea of having so much technology going on in the speaker cabinet? After having my active FRFR fail a couple of times now, I've wished I had a separate power amp and cab (FRFR or traditional) because when one of them goes down, I am without the whole thing. Just stuffing more stuff in there means more can go wrong haha.

But overall I do think its a great idea and is a good all in one solution. Hopefully we see similar products from Fractal in the future.

I don't really get it. An FRFR that stores the impulse responses is a cool idea - and you might as well extend that to have the monitor store high quality reverbs, mods, and delays while you're at it. But does anyone need the faux guitar cab feature in this?

I don't really get it. An FRFR that stores the impulse responses is a cool idea - and you might as well extend that to have the monitor store high quality reverbs, mods, and delays while you're at it. But does anyone need the faux guitar cab feature in this?
Some devices don't offer Cab modeling, or maybe someone wants to save CPU in their device by not having a Cab.

The speaker modeling to me is the main draw. In fact I'm interested in buying it for that alone but the standard model is not upgradeable so you are stuck with the 6 speaker models they give you. There are already plenty of good FRFR units on the market and most modelers come with a good IR loader built-in but if you want a cab-in-the room sound you still need to run a poweramp and guitar cab which limits you to a single speaker type unless you run a stereo poweramp and two cabs.

The Powercab solves this neatly, it's like having 6 identical 1x12 cabs with different speakers you can switch based on what amp sim you are using. Of course, you stil need to like how that particular 1x12 sounds in whatever room you are in.

Some devices don't offer Cab modeling, or maybe someone wants to save CPU in their device by not having a Cab.
Plus tons of producers are making their own ir’s and selling them, this way more people can get in on it. Could possibly be a cool logistical feature for live if you turn off cab sim in the axe and then choose a cab sound in the L6 that sounds best in the venue. I'm just sold on the fact that it's an FRFR that's shaped like a combo, great for club gigs!

Back
Top Bottom