New Line 6 FRFR cab - Powercab

mnemonic

Experienced
Just got this in my email

https://line6.com/powercab/

Looks like they’re getting in on the action, looks like a competitor to the Friedman stuff, or the likes of Xitone and the CLR.

one cool thing is it also incorporates impulses. Not really necessary for use with an Axe FX, but could be a cool option for people who also use some other smaller rig and other modellers or preamps that don’t have impulses.

Wattage looks like 250 watts peak (what would RMS be, like 100?) so maybe underpowered, unless the price ends up significantly less than competitors.

Wattage looks like 250 watts peak (what would RMS be, like 100?) so maybe underpowered, unless the price ends up significantly less than competitors.
As per L6-
Wait. 250 watts doesn’t sound like much. Aren’t there other speakers that are thousands of watts?
250 real watts, not marketing watts. The operative spec here is SPL (Sound Pressure Level). Powercab reaches 125dB SPL handily. You should have no problems playing next to the drummer.

Hmmmm. Took a closer look at the specs of the high end one..USB , presets and digital interface included..and “expandable” cab options..don’t know what that means, but if importation of user IRs is on the table then maybe. ....L6 has proven its strengths in UI and if it doesn’t sound like doody, might be worth a look.

The + version has ir loading, hence my joke about the HD500 which they sorta use as a marketing line in the demo :) 128 presets (ir's?) could be useful for some

The + version has ir loading, hence my joke about the HD500 which they sorta use as a marketing line in the demo :) 128 presets (ir's?) could be useful for some
Always appreciate a good hence. It isn’t clear if IR loading includes user IR s outside the new proprietary format for the Neosound cabs, is it? ...Truth be told , I thought FAS would have come out with something like this by now....(as Cliff probably is toying with that prototype as I type....:))

Line6 was never good in modelling cabs.. How come they release a product that does just that? :)

For the included models, they aren't modelling cabs - they are modeling speakers. Apparently, the HF driver isn't even used when selecting one of the onboard speaker models.

It is an interesting concept, and I would like to see if any other companies produce similar products.

As far as the "amp in room" sound, most of the modeler users I hear (or read) talking about missing the "amp in the room" feel with FRFR are referring to missing the thump and air movement of a 4x12. I can see a 1x12 producing the feeling of a 1x12 combo or cabinet "in the room," but I don't think it will do any better at reproducing the kick of a 4x12 than any of the other products out there.

Though I am happy with my current FRFR setup, I will check one out if GC gets them in. The guys there were pretty good about allowing me to test different speakers and monitors with my AxeFX, and trying out a new option never hurts.

Edit - Just rewatched the video and noticed he stated it is not meant to provide the feel of a 4x12 or 2x12.

Back
Top Bottom