New Laptop - Mac vs. Windows (want opinions)

My question/concern was more around repair vs. upgrade. (being that my biggest reason for looking for a new laptop is because my current one had the hard drive crap out)
Since it was a Lenovo, I opened it up, pulled out the drive and put a new SSD in there. I had to load all software back on there...but for $50, I at least have the laptop back in action.

All of this conversation has been very helpful - honestly.

I'm still uncertain on what I will do, but my biggest driver for ask was:
- Most folks I know that use a laptop for a DAW, us Macs (and nobody ever complains)
- But as tech keeps evolving, I'm always wondering if/when Windows machines may catch up and be as good or reliable.
It sounds like they're getting better, but Windows has not surpassed Mac in a way that people are flipping their option saying - "Mac used to be good, but Window's is as good"

Kind of like - ProTools used to be 'the standard' DAW. Now....there are many options just as good or better.
Was very curious if people were starting to sway towards Windows more now a days. Seems like no.

I know that everyone has different opinions. I have been an avid Mac hater for years. But realizing as I'm getting older that I may have hitched my wagon to the Windows train just out of stubbornness....and should be more open to trying something new.
You only want cheap repairs if your stuff is prone to failure. Apple hardware doesn't fail as often. You have to compute the expected value of repairs, not the absolute per-incident.

You only want cheap repairs if your stuff is prone to failure. Apple hardware doesn't fail as often. You have to compute the expected value of repairs, not the absolute per-incident.
Of course. Would much rather spend the money and never pay for failures/repairs.
In the case of my current laptop, the hard drive failed. I've had that happen in desktops with (what were considered at the time) some of the best drives you could buy. It 'can' happen on any machine, and of course the odds are better, the higher quality components in the machine.
Just wanted to understand what is or is not possible based on what machine I choose (if it ever happens again).

(off topic) to compound the problem of my hard drive dying - I lost my iLok at the exact same time. I KNOW I'm going to find it one day inside of one of my kid's toys! But rebuilding the laptop, reloading all of my software, and also having to get all of my iLok licenses moved to a new iLok....what a painful experience. Trying to avoid that again.

I switched to Logic and Mac from cakewalk about 10 years ago. No more crashes. It just works.

The thing folks overlook is that yes, the hardware is more expensive but the software is cheap. I bought Logic and Final cut pro years ago (199 each) and all the upgrades since have been free. OS upgrades are also free.

I am not a tech guy but I am a fluent user of both Mac and windows. Work = windows mainly because there are Microsoft applications I use that aren't available on Mac. Personal = Mac.
I go through a windows laptop every 3-4 years at work. My last iMac was ten years old before I recently upgraded to an M1 MBP and Studio display. The M1 on Ventura is impressive and as I understand it Apple will continue to optimize it's performance.
From my experience, Windows machines start out fine and get noticeable glitchy within 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom