New Laptop - Mac vs. Windows (want opinions)

BBN

Fractal Fanatic
Opening a can of worms here....but here goes.

I've been a PC user forever and have never owned a Mac. I used to build my own machines, but then started buying more laptops for studio portability.
I was a Cakewalk Sonar user for years, went to Presonus Studio One when Cakewalk went sideways, but have also tried (and don't mind) Reaper, Pro Tools and the new Band Lab version of Cakewalk. No matter what DAW I use, I like it to be capable of working on PC or Mac.

The last laptop I purchases (a few years back) is a Windows 10 i5 Lenovo machine, so yeah - not the latest tech by any means.
The hard drive recently stopped working and I had to rebuild the machine, which was easy enough, but it also has me thinking - it may be time for an upgrade.

My largest band recording projects go to ~40-50 tracks. My i5 Lenovo machine STRUGGLES. I have lots of Studio One crashes, but I honestly don't know if that is Presonus....or my machine....or both. I have the Slate Everything bundle, iZotope Suite, Waves, I use Slate Trigger a lot - plenty of heavy-duty plugins, which I know are taxing my machine.

I would love to find a Laptop that can handle my needs, so I can travel with my studio.
Although I have never owned a Mac, I'm not against it. I just want something stable that runs my DAW consistently without lag/crashing.

So I'd love opinions on - Mac or Windows???
And what specs should I look at for either of those solutions?

Thanks for any insight.

My decision to switch to Macs about 15 years ago were entirely based on stability. I was so sick of dealing with random Windows crashes that came out of no where I bought a Macbook Pro and never dealt with an issue after. I’ve been through 3 Macbooks and an iMac and aside from them going to sleep and the USB connection getting lost, it’s been entirely problem free. The previous Macbooks could still be refurbished, it was just the hard drives that took a dump after a while.

I run a ton of VST’s/plug-ins on my iMac, it’s 32G and can keep up quite well. I also switched from Pro Tools to Logic in that time since the iMac I bought had Logic on it already, I found it considerably more user friendly, to the point I was barely looking up how to do something.

I've been a Windows user since 3.1, but I picked up a MacBook Pro M1 last year and couldn't be happier. It will definitely handle all your DAW requirements and then some. There is a learning curve getting used to navigating a Mac though. As long as you're open to learning and have the budget, you can't go wrong, in my opinion.

Pc user forever, first pc was a vic 20, not really a pc but kinda, then a 386sx16, so been with it for a while. Recently been using a macbook pro M1. It's a big shift really, is. It's taking some time to shift over, still not off my pc. But the M1 runs circles around my PC. Be prepared for some everyday things that seem arbitrary like copy and paste to be strange, things like that are just different.

I have been involved with the Macintosh world since it was called the Lisa XL, as the chief tech support for 1,000 users spread across the Americas exclusively using Macs, to being the Desktop support manager of a flagship wafer fab with 1,000+ highly technical users using a mix of Macs, Windows, and Linux.

With users across the Americas, I designed their systems, and how the hard drives were laid out, worked with our supplier to burn the drives to my specs, and they'd ship them directly to the user who could boot it up and immediately use it without any additional configuration needed. The only times we'd have problems were with eventual drive failures, or because the user broke our policy of not screwing with the system, otherwise they worked amazingly trouble-free.

At the fab, we let the Linux folks live in their own world and we just supplied hardware to them, in a cluster of about 25 people. The rest of the users were pretty evenly split between Windows and Macintosh, with the user deciding which system they wanted. Our support staff consisted of about 5-7 Mac support and about 15 Windows support, even though there were about the same number of each OS. The Windows techs spent all day rushing from user to user, fixing drivers and app failures, or hauling a replacement machine out and retrieving the broken one where it'd get fixed by our hardware people and put back into our reserve. The Mac support people would grab their handful of tickets, deal with those, wander around talking with the users to make sure everything was good, then return to their cubes in the computer room and work on special projects. The Windows techs would get pissed because they said it wasn't fair, but they were the ones who chose the OS they supported; Eventually, they'd sign up for Mac OS classes and would switch. It wasn't anything we did in management, it was just the reliability of the systems in action.

We tracked all the repairs and time spent, and the Windows systems took the majority of the time, effort, and money. People "out there" try to argue which is easier or less expensive, but we had to report our expenditures and justify them to our corporate overlords and the numbers made it easy; Having Macs saved us a lot of money.

I've worked on Mac OS, Windows, and Linux many times over the years. For my personal machines I've used Mac OS and Windows, but for the last 15 years have been exclusively Mac. There was a period way back when where Apple's reliability in the laptops wasn't what it should have been, especially in their lower-cost models, but they still stood behind them and replaced several motherboards that failed for me. Since then, I've gone through three different ones, wearing them out until you couldn't read the letters on the keys and the OS wouldn't upgrade any further, which is typically about seven years. Seven years out of a desktop computer is good, and out of a laptop is exceptional, and, even at that point, they were still quite usable.

People have to pick their own poison. I prefer to pick one that works. :)

Please read past the next sentence...

I'm going to start by saying that I'm seriously biased against Apple because of some of their policies and their hardware design, despite using them exclusively for over a decade. But, if you're set on a laptop and you can deal with some software not being ARM/AS native yet....an M1 MBP is the best option right now.

The number of tracks/plugins that they can run at low latency is impressive. And a lot of companies are targeting them first.

I honestly think that Thunderbolt is a solution looking for a problem, but the fact remains that there are companies making good thunderbolt products that do work well. I'm specifically thinking about a handful of different audio interfaces (like the Presonus Quantums) that give you a LOT of IO for the money and some of the raid enclosures from OWC/MacSales (you want raid 1 or 10, just FYI).

The big downside is that you pretty much always have to have some number of expensive adapters plugged in to use anything other than the laptop itself, your AI, and your TB external storage. I hate that...whether it matters to you is possibly different.

I do think that you need external storage to be safe. Apple does some really stupid things with their drive controllers that are flat-out not safe for important data. Because laptops have batteries, most of them are mitigated because they necessarily include a "backup" battery. They do those stupid things to try to get more speed out of their drives than they can actually do, and there are specific times when a power loss would do things like near-brick the computer or make a DAW session unrecoverable. External storage pretty much mitigates this. It's the internal storage that has the big problems. Now...I wouldn't run a PC without a UPS either, but the risks are greater with Apples.

So, yeah...if I wanted a laptop-based setup for almost anything in music...I'd probably go with the best MBP I could afford...which would be expensive because I just don't think 16GB of RAM is enough for tracking & mixing, which means Pro or Max. FWIW, I would also take frequent stand-alone backups (not via Time Machine...I have never seen a backup system fail as often as Time Machine fails) and keep it in the budget to just buy a replacement for the whole computer at the drop of a hat if it's important to you....because I've had mostly terrible experiences with Apple Support and Genius Bars. Pretty much unless the dude at the counter was flirting with me, anything I couldn't solve meant I was without a computer for a week, even if the eventual result was that they just gave me a new one.

Now....if you want a desktop setup, there's no way I'd pick Apple over a PC running Windows.

PCIe is strictly better than Thunderbolt, you can actually replace specific components yourself, and you can build it so that you don't need adapters or docking stations other than simple cables unless you just want them for some reason. I switched away from Apple after 2 big things. My first Hackintosh was a better OS X experience than any of the ~6 Apples I owned. And when I built this studio computer, I realized that just the adapters and enclosures I would need to make a Mac Mini or Trashcan Mac Pro actually work for me cost more than the PC I ended up building. The same thing is true today.

If you're not capable of assembling a desktop computer yourself....then IDK what I'd recommend. Probably Apple with the adapters and enclosures that you need, but I wouldn't feel good about it. I would not just buy a Dell or whatever. All the big companies kind of suck at what they do.

I honestly think that Thunderbolt is a solution looking for a problem […]
Agreed, though, having had access to the insides of Apple's engineering and development teams in the past, I was amazed at their long-term views of the technologies they were working on. While we might not see its benefit now I suspect they're working toward something cool in the future.

[…]
The big downside is that you pretty much always have to have some number of expensive adapters plugged in to use anything other than the laptop itself, your AI, and your TB external storage. I hate that...whether it matters to you is possibly different.
I think that's just the nature of a laptop, it's not Apple per se. There's only so much space for internal components and connectors. As the technologies improve for external devices we'll see a reduction in the adapters needed, but we'll probably always need something attached to the laptop to backfill to what a desktop could do.

I do think that you need external storage to be safe. Apple does some really stupid things with their drive controllers that are flat-out not safe for important data. Because laptops have batteries, most of them are mitigated because they necessarily include a "backup" battery. They do those stupid things to try to get more speed out of their drives than they can actually do, and there are specific times when a power loss would do things like near-brick the computer or make a DAW session unrecoverable. External storage pretty much mitigates this. It's the internal storage that has the big problems. Now...I wouldn't run a PC without a UPS either, but the risks are greater with Apples.
Well, I agree with the need for UPS. Even with laptops, an extended power outage can be more pleasant with something taking the load off the laptop's battery.

I've seen horrendous drive crashes on my PCs and few on my Macs, so we'll call that a draw. :)

And, we should always keep our critical data on something external, even if it's just a duplicate.
So, yeah...if I wanted a laptop-based setup for almost anything in music...I'd probably go with the best MBP I could afford...which would be expensive because I just don't think 16GB of RAM is enough for tracking & mixing, which means Pro or Max.
Definitely load up the RAM. RAM is good.

FWIW, I would also take frequent stand-alone backups (not via Time Machine...I have never seen a backup system fail as often as Time Machine fails) and keep it in the budget to just buy a replacement for the whole computer at the drop of a hat if it's important to you....because I've had mostly terrible experiences with Apple Support and Genius Bars.
Time Machine is my local, "gotta look for the file right now because I screwed it up a couple of hours ago" solution. In parallel, I run a separate backup to the cloud that occurs daily, PLUS all my important files, including all my Fractal stuff, go to my Dropbox account immediately.

I've had great experiences with their Genius Bars. The support tries to dumb me down and they piss me off quickly so I tend to shut them down and make them talk to me like an adult and ex-tech support and long-time Mac and general computer programmer, and often I'm handed off to their higher level tech guys who can talk the nuts and bolts stuff. But that was true when I dealt with the Windows tech people too. They all just assume we're idiots, which I think goes with doing the job too long.

Pretty much unless the dude at the counter was flirting with me, anything I couldn't solve meant I was without a computer for a week, even if the eventual result was that they just gave me a new one.
I've never experienced that.

Now....if you want a desktop setup, there's no way I'd pick Apple over a PC running Windows.

PCIe is strictly better than Thunderbolt, you can actually replace specific components yourself, and you can build it so that you don't need adapters or docking stations other than simple cables unless you just want them for some reason.
That's comparing the hardware, not the protocol. Time will tell which protocol wins.

I switched away from Apple after 2 big things. My first Hackintosh was a better OS X experience than any of the ~6 Apples I owned. And when I built this studio computer, I realized that just the adapters and enclosures I would need to make a Mac Mini or Trashcan Mac Pro actually work for me cost more than the PC I ended up building. The same thing is true today.

If you're not capable of assembling a desktop computer yourself....then IDK what I'd recommend. Probably Apple with the adapters and enclosures that you need, but I wouldn't feel good about it. I would not just buy a Dell or whatever. All the big companies kind of suck at what they do.
And that's where the support costs go up on either side of the fence. You can build hardware that is robust, but that drives the cost up, and building it and maintaining it costs your time which has to be accounted for. There's no easy win. I got tired of fiddling with drivers and BIOS and everything else because I just want to be productive. Or screw around with my modelers. :)

I'll keep my reply simple. I have had 3 PC's/Windows laptops completely die on me. I have never had that issue with a MAC.

No matter what DAW I use, I like it to be capable of working on PC or Mac.

You can't really go wrong with either. Yes, Apple Silicon is clearly ahead of Intel in the processor race, which argues for a Mac, but that's only one issue to consider.

However, since you're specifically asking about using it for music production, I'll mention one issue: most companies making music production software these days are Mac shops. That means the cross-platform software you use is primarily written for the Mac, then later ported to Windows. In some cases that means the software works a little better on the Mac, but in other cases it means you'll get a blank stare from them when you say you're trying to use their software on Windows.

Last edited:
You're talking Laptop. You won't find a better built one than a MacBook. We handle frequent complaints in support about laptops that cause unwanted interference with audio hardware of all brands. The only repetitive Apple complaint we receive is about USB ports on iMacs.

This is all super interesting, thanks all for the responses.

Many more recommendations for Mac than Windows.
I'm leaning that direction, and even though it will be a learning curve, I am kind of curious to see how the other half lives.

I think that's just the nature of a laptop, it's not Apple per se. There's only so much space for internal components and connectors. As the technologies improve for external devices we'll see a reduction in the adapters needed, but we'll probably always need something attached to the laptop to backfill to what a desktop could do.
It's not. At least, not to the same degree. My wife uses a MBP and has 4 "adapters" (two of them chained together) to run her desk setup at work. My laptops haven't needed them for the same basic setup.

That being said, neither of us like wireless peripherals, and neither of us have spent what thunderbolt displays cost.

I've seen horrendous drive crashes on my PCs and few on my Macs, so we'll call that a draw. :)
I had one last week. One of the SSDs in my storage server died. I had a replacement on hand because that data is important to me (recovering from off-site would take forever). Fifteen minutes after the monitoring email went out, I had a new drive in. An hour later, the array was done resilvering and the failed drive was physically destroyed. Two hours later a new cold spare showed up from Amazon.

This was not the first drive I'd lost from that server, and it won't be the last. None of the other stories are all that different.

You can't do that with Apple internal storage.

Time Machine is my local, "gotta look for the file right now because I screwed it up a couple of hours ago" solution. In parallel, I run a separate backup to the cloud that occurs daily, PLUS all my important files, including all my Fractal stuff, go to my Dropbox account immediately.
That's one of the ways it's failed me. Even for quick "oops, I didn't mean to delete that" things, the files wind up corrupted way too often. I have never had a full restore/migrate work. IME, it's literally nothing but a waste of drive space.

The support tries to dumb me down and they piss me off quickly...
Yeah...they do that. It's really annoying, and Genius Bars are far from alone in that regard.

I don't see it getting any better, though. Just a few weeks ago, my iPhone died randomly. Apparently, my Genius Bar won't even start an appointment if "Find my iPhone" is turned on, and I can't log into my Apple account without a 2FA code that I have to get through the phone. So, there's no way for them to fix a dead iPhone. The independent service centers were booked out 2 weeks, and I needed a phone. And the cel carrier store that was halfway-near the Apple STore didn't have anything but $1000+ crazy BS in stock. I even tried to buy a dumb phone to put my sim card in just to get one text message so I could log into my Apple account, but that was going to cost as much as a new cheapest iPhone unless I wanted to sign my first cel contract in 20 years.

Seriously...their customer support is absolutely the worst I've ever dealt with. Lenovo has jerked me around. Dell has taken hours to fix something that should have taken minutes. IBM has taken days to fix what should have taken hours. The managed hosting company we use at work has screwed up so badly that half a dozen people (including me) on 3 continents had to wake up and put in 36 hours straight.

But, I've never before had a company say, literally, "Our default settings prevent us from fixing your thing, and all you can do is buy a replacement". As far as I'm concerned, and admitting that for a laptop-based setup, an M1 Pro is probably the best out there...if a device has an Apple on it, it needs to be considered disposable. As in...any hardware fault means just buy a new one and don't even bother trying to get it fixed.

I had a lot of problems with my Apple hardware from 2005 until around 2015 when I swore them off. I had several warranty replacements that all took a long time. One of them required cold contacting their top-tier customer support. After they took over, it was a relatively painless...they just called me a few hours later and said that I had a new laptop at the Apple Store with my drive cloned onto it waiting for me. But that was after going back and forth with the Geniuses for over a week to try to prove to them that the hardware issue, that they could reproduce easily, wasn't somehow my fault. It was related to some of the known manufacturing issues with the Logic Board at that point. It was early 2011 when it failed...I think the laptop was a 2009 or 2010 maybe. A few days after it was down, I overnighted a relatively cheap Lenovo from Amazon so that I would at least have something to use. That laptop case was cracked when a careless person knocked it off a desk a week after I got it, the battery only lasts for about 45 minutes at this point, and it's had 2 or 3 RAM sticks and a drive die. Part of it is held together with tape. But, it still works.

At this point...if I needed big sessions and low latency, I'd probably buy HDX before an Apple "desktop". Avid's service sucks too, but at least you can pay people to actually do things instead of Apple either taking forever or telling me I'm SOL.

IDK...maybe my local Apple stores are terrible. But, it's been like this at 3 or 4 of them.

That's comparing the hardware, not the protocol. Time will tell which protocol wins.
Thunderbolt is PCIe + DisplayPort, up to TB3. TB4 is PCIe + USB + DisplayPort on one cable.

PCIe can be (but isn't necessarily) wider (more lanes). TB is limited to 4 lanes, even on the ones that technically have 2 TB controllers sharing a cable (you can't use 8 lanes for one thing if you wanted to).

The big difference is that it's a fragile connector as opposed to a very robust one inside the case.

I got tired of fiddling with drivers and BIOS and everything else because I just want to be productive. Or screw around with my modelers. :)
Yeah....that hasn't been my experience since switching back. Not by a long shot.

Yeah....there are some optimizations I did when installing Windows, but there were optimizations I did to OS X as well. Drivers are easy...you download a thing and keep clicking next until it says you're done. And you have to do that on OS X too if you're using anything but bare-bones class-compliant stuff. I mean...you had to install drivers & software for your Fractal. It's the exact same process whether you do it on OS X or Windows.

The closest thing to a driver problem I've had was just Graphics Cards. And, yes, they're really hit or miss. Fortunately, for me, integrated graphics works just fine. So, I don't need to think about it.

I probably spent more time per year in Apple's UEFI as I have on my PC Bios/EFI. Mostly for it's diagnostics. On my PC, all I did was enable XMP and set it for an all-core max boost instead of a single-core max boost, which took like 5 minutes and a couple reboots for memory training (which might be nerve-racking if you don't know what it's doing). I think I might have also disabled the internal sound card....don't remember. I think maybe once a year I remember to check for firmware updates. None of those really matter, but I'd rather have the options.

I don't like Microsoft as a company either. But, I do prefer PCs...because I can tweak and fix things more so than I can with Apple. And it fits what I want to do.

On a laptop....a lot of those things change because most PC laptops are either junk or heavily focused on gaming and graphics performance.

IDK...I don't necessarily mean to scare people away from Apple. I just...I find it hard to stand by and have people say that they don't have problems or that their service is good. That has definitely not been my experience.

Seriously, since I switched (which started in 2011), I've had a lot of parts die. But, I actually have 3 PCs from 2011-2012 that still work. One of them is that laptop that I don't really use anymore. The other 2 were built as a Hackintosh for music and Linux desktop for normal work. Now, they're running ESXi (with a handful of guests, including the router for my home studio/office) and FreeBSD (it's basically a work desktop and a database prototyping machine because I can't function without a unix machine...though I only ever use it over SSH)...they run 24/7 and routinely see uptimes in excess of 6 months. I've had RAM die in one of them and drives in both. And I had to delid one of them and re-do the thermal paste under the IHS because it was over-heating. But, seriously, they run 24/7 and still work, and the younger one is 10 years old.

It's not true if you buy something from Dell/HP/etc. that over-charge for bargain basement office PCs, but PC hardware is higher quality than Apple, at least IME.

I had one last week. One of the SSDs in my storage server died. I had a replacement on hand because that data is important to me (recovering from off-site would take forever). Fifteen minutes after the monitoring email went out, I had a new drive in. An hour later, the array was done resilvering and the failed drive was physically destroyed. Two hours later a new cold spare showed up from Amazon.
Since my last laptop crash, and my rebuild, I've started using Casper to clone my drive, so that I can quickly just swap out the drive in the laptop if it ever dies again.
Can you not swap a drive in a Mac?

Never had a Mac drive fail… not sure.

Macbooks Pros are the business, no doubt. I use Mac stuff for all things musical, but still have a Windows laptop for home stuff, a Dell XPS 17… the only thing I’ve seen remotely competitive to a MBP. I’m actually looking to replace my music iMac with a Mac Studio next year. Still debating between that and a loaded MBP 16. Time will tell. Either is going to be a $4k+ proposition, so I’ll be saving for a while longer to get there.

It’s a philosophy difference, really. Most Windows issues are self-inflicted, knowingly or not, because they allow you to load pretty much anything from a variety of software developers, and the interactions are often functionally fatal. Apple closely monitors what is approved for Macs which, while it is often infuriating to owners, assures that when software goes awry, the program crashes, and not the computer. So that enforced compliance with Apple is really like a guardrail to keep you on their road. And it works.

If I only had one, it would be a MacBook Pro 16. That’s my recommendation.

The general trend these days in computer design, including Macs, is away from replaceable components in an effort to increase performance, and to keep down weight, size, and cost.

Internal component upgrades in the new Macbooks are extremely complicated (SS memory and the "drive" are soldered to the processor/MB) but not impossible. However, I would recommend paying for a bigger drive than you think you are going to need and keeping sample libraries and such to an external drive. RAM is not really an issue on Apple Silicon for reasons too complicated to go into here. You can, however, clone to and boot from external drives.

That being said, I have been positively blown away by the performance of my M1 Macbook. Projects that required large buffers to run on my fastest, Intel-based hackintosh tower run with power to spare on my new Macbook. Battery life is also three times longer than any notebook I have ever used.

The Apple Silicon Macs represent a sea-change in performance and are really a no-brainer choice.

Since my last laptop crash, and my rebuild, I've started using Casper to clone my drive, so that I can quickly just swap out the drive in the laptop if it ever dies again.

It depends on exactly which mac you're talking about...but the answer ranges from "Yes" to "No", with the new Studio being "Yes, but you have to buy it from us". I believe all the laptops are "No". You can't replace RAM either.

If either RAM or Storage fails (which are the most common hardware failures), you have to replace the whole Logic board.

The general trend these days in computer design, including Macs, is away from replaceable components in an effort to increase performance, and to keep down weight, size, and cost.

That is not the case in the PC world. It's also not the case with PC SoC designs.

My storage server is a Xeon-D SoC. It's built onto a normal motherboard with normal ram slots, normal M.2 slots, normal PCIe slots, and a normal SATA/U.2 drive controller with normal connectors. Along with all the other normal motherboard connectors.

The only functional difference between it an a normal PC design is that the CPU is part of the SoC, which is soldered on. It's just that one thing.

There is a performance benefit for Graphics and a very small one for RAM the way Apple does it (it's not the only way). But, high-end PC graphics still beat M1 graphics depending on the workload...just not at that price (high end graphics cards can cost thousands). And bigger caches would improve memory performance more than a shorter path to RAM.

But, it's not really about any of those things...that's just how they market it. It's about making more of the computer proprietary so that you can't do things like switch between companies that all make compatible parts. It's just so they can keep more of the cost of the computer through vertical integration.

ETA:

The M1 Macs are awesome in terms of performance. No one is disputing that. But you get that performance at the cost of having to replace bigger and more expensive parts when small things fail and mostly only being able to get them from one source.

And you can build a PC that performs better for audio. It's just more expensive.

It's funny...PC people used to make fun of Apples for being expensive. Now, they're the cost-conscious choice.

That is not the case in the PC world.
The general trend in the PC world is also away from replaceable components on laptops, for the reasons I mentioned. However, if upgradeability is an important priority for you, you're far more likely to find a Windows PC to your liking than a Mac.

I have been involved with the Macintosh world since it was called the Lisa XL, as the chief tech support for 1,000 users spread across the Americas exclusively using Macs, to being the Desktop support manager of a flagship wafer fab with 1,000+ highly technical users using a mix of Macs, Windows, and Linux.

With users across the Americas, I designed their systems, and how the hard drives were laid out, worked with our supplier to burn the drives to my specs, and they'd ship them directly to the user who could boot it up and immediately use it without any additional configuration needed. The only times we'd have problems were with eventual drive failures, or because the user broke our policy of not screwing with the system, otherwise they worked amazingly trouble-free.

At the fab, we let the Linux folks live in their own world and we just supplied hardware to them, in a cluster of about 25 people. The rest of the users were pretty evenly split between Windows and Macintosh, with the user deciding which system they wanted. Our support staff consisted of about 5-7 Mac support and about 15 Windows support, even though there were about the same number of each OS. The Windows techs spent all day rushing from user to user, fixing drivers and app failures, or hauling a replacement machine out and retrieving the broken one where it'd get fixed by our hardware people and put back into our reserve. The Mac support people would grab their handful of tickets, deal with those, wander around talking with the users to make sure everything was good, then return to their cubes in the computer room and work on special projects. The Windows techs would get pissed because they said it wasn't fair, but they were the ones who chose the OS they supported; Eventually, they'd sign up for Mac OS classes and would switch. It wasn't anything we did in management, it was just the reliability of the systems in action.

We tracked all the repairs and time spent, and the Windows systems took the majority of the time, effort, and money. People "out there" try to argue which is easier or less expensive, but we had to report our expenditures and justify them to our corporate overlords and the numbers made it easy; Having Macs saved us a lot of money.

I've worked on Mac OS, Windows, and Linux many times over the years. For my personal machines I've used Mac OS and Windows, but for the last 15 years have been exclusively Mac. There was a period way back when where Apple's reliability in the laptops wasn't what it should have been, especially in their lower-cost models, but they still stood behind them and replaced several motherboards that failed for me. Since then, I've gone through three different ones, wearing them out until you couldn't read the letters on the keys and the OS wouldn't upgrade any further, which is typically about seven years. Seven years out of a desktop computer is good, and out of a laptop is exceptional, and, even at that point, they were still quite usable.

Back
Top Bottom