New Koch SS power amps

Moltenmetalburn

Self-Admitted Software Thief
EDIT: it is a hybrid amplifier not SS.

ATR-4502 - Koch Guitar Amplification

Mosfet like matrix, also has some 12ax7. supposed to react to speaker like a real tube amp.

"Our ATR series of hybrid amps the Jupiter, Startrooper and ATR4502 (see also the blog article about these amps), are designed in such a way that they react the same way to speakers as tube amps. Although they operate with mosfets to drive the speaker, their ouput power does not fall back to 50% if the impedance is doubled. This is one of the reasons why our ATR series of hybrid guitar amplifiers sound like real tube amps.

Although their speaker outputs behave similar to tube amps you can safely disconnect the speaker and play them without a speaker or load connected. If you do that you will not damage anything."

Last edited:
Looks like Fryette got beat to the market with a single space tube offering. Well it looks really nice I'm sure some of the Axe users over there will be the first to give it a go.

Very interested in this. Can't find where you can buy one though...or even the price for that matter...

Most "hybrid" amps are just solid state amps with a preamp tube gain stage to try and "warm up" the sound a bit. Almost all of the time, the tube is just a gimmick and that tube gain stage will likely do more harm than good.

(...)the tube is just a gimmick and that tube gain stage will likely do more harm than good.

This is not Behringer - this is Koch. I assume, that the preamp Tube gainstage could have something to do, to read out the resonant frequency of the speaker or simulate a generic one ... but for sure, ... i don`t know ...

hmm higher than i'm looking for but still will have to try it none the less. I can get a nice direct sound that I like but on stagemy carvin dcm and cabs just dont do it. I still like having cabs for the stage fill. Especially for the rest of the band.

Nice... Just what I'm looking for, just a little out of my budget but depending on reviews, I might Tele the plunge.

So far I really like it, only been an hour. The boxes was open too when I got it. UPS but not sure it was packaged the best either. No manual. But it's pretty self explanatory. I like it a lot better compared to my carvin. But I haven't played the carvin all that recently or with 12.04. I'll update when I do. So far though it does have a nice response. Plenty loud I think too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright here goes part 1 of my review against the carvin DCM 1540L.

I'll list out a few things.

Using just a graphic eq I found I was able to warm up the carvin to where I didn't quite notice much difference.
Something different is happening in the attack with the Koch.
I pretty much had to adjust my playing for the carvin or the Koch.
The Koch did give me instant gratification, however-
The big ticker which makes me think I might send the Koch back was when I started scrolling through different amp sims. The change was much more noticible with the carvin. The Koch was definitely adding its flavor or color to each amp sim. It was a subtle coloring but I do think the carvin is more neutral in this regard. This I'm sure doesn't surprise most as the Koch is advertised to give tube amp characteristics but none the less I wanted to give it a try. Still debating what I will do. I'm quite an indecisive person when it comes to gear.

I do like that the Koch's wattage is more like a traditional tube amp. Don't have to worry about blowing speakers as much. I also like that its 1u and a hair lighter than the carvin. However for the 700 price tag, I'd really like to compare to a matrix seeing as I've never had one. I'll be doing some more comparing this weekend. I was playing through my avatar 1x12 v30 and I'd like to try both through my 4x12 orange v30's cab too.

Just wanted to add that the customer service from Tonefactor as well as Koch US sales has been great. Easy communication and reassurance in their product. The Koch comes with a standard 1 year warranty too. They assurred me though that they stand by their products usually even past the warranty though.

Last edited:
I have the Koch ATR & the Matrix GT1000FX with gtr speakers, power amp sim on, gt speakers sim off. For me the Koch is too much colored with a nasty peak in the mid highs. Also it is not powerful enough for playing in a loud band - it distorts too fast. Playing at bedroom volume is nice though, that color can be welcome. Despite the global love here for the Matrix, I'm getting disappointed by it. It has no vibe (in lack of better word) & also kind of boxy resonance in the mids with different speakers. I prefer to go direct on my Adam studio monitors for home recording. Never been happy with going direct to PA on stage. I've not found my ideal live setup. Any idea for a not too heavy, not too colored but vibey stereo tube amp ?

Back
Top Bottom